Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally met with my nutritionist today

I had to reschedule my first appointment because the north east decided to get hit with a blizzard, so I was overdue to see her. I don't know if she is trying to prepare me for the worst, but she said some things I wasn't expecting at all. Like a lot of people get stuck at the mechanical soft phase and cant move past it. Also that fresh fruit or vegetables may never be an option again. I guess the thought of never being able to eat a salad again may seem weird to some people, but oddly that was one of the foods I thought I would be able to consume for the rest of my life post recovery. I also know every nutritionist gives different advice, I just wish there was a standard that everyone followed (I know everyone can tolerate foods differently) because I see people writing about being allowed to eat these things at 8 weeks or six months, but this was the first that I have had it put to me as a never again thing.

I had my RNY last October. I am eating both salads and fruit. At first eating real food is strange. It feels heavy in the new stomach and can cause some minor discomfort. And something you may try one month may not feel so great but then a month or two later it's fine. You just need to chew well, eat slow and not give up. At almost 7 months I can eat most Proteins, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, pineapple, strawberries, grapes, tomatoes, broccoli, thin asparagus, spinach, grilled zucchini, etc. I eat toasted multigrain breads, multigrain crackers but haven't really tried any rice or Pasta to speak of. The thing with salads is you should really eat the Protein first and then you don't have as much space after. So lots of times I have lots of salad left over.

Thanks for replying so quickly and easing my mind. My husband is a health nut and is all about the microbiome and while he is supportive, things like this make him more cautious. I guess in the back of my mind all along I believed I would be weeding out unhealthy foods, but I never thought about having to remove healthy foods as well so it was just a bit of a shock. I guess I will just go back to the mindset of taking my time with everything and know that my mileage may vary with certain foods, possibly forever.