Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK Sports fans, this is the skinny on my surgery and subsequent days.

starting weight at first doctors appointment was 250. Whizzed through the appointments and requirements within 3 months. Surgery weight was 238. My doctor required a two week liquid diet before and after. That was a tough two weeks, prior to surgery. I can't say I got through it without cheating. My cheats consisted of a few pieces of bacon, 4 bites of chicken salad and a handful of potato chips. I was able to meet my Water goals daily. That's important. Doc said my liver was just fine.

My surgery was this past monday.

Items I took with me.

• my phone and charger and my iPad mini (watched netflix on it)
  • 2 pair of loose flannel pajama bottoms and two tank tops. tank tops give them access that a t-shirt might not. I also took my own slippers
  • I have a security blanket that a friend of mine quilted for me. I've spent a lot of time in hospitals over the last 5 years and being semi dressed and having my own blanket seems to make the stay more bearable.
  • I took gas x strips and I'm not certain if they made a difference. I didn't take any wipes (love having wipes) cause I knew the hospital would provide them for me.
  • I am fortunate because the facility was private rooms only, or I would have taken headphones.

I had just finished up my period prior to surgery. Day 4 at hospital It started again. Annoying. So women, take what you need, just in case.

Day of surgery: Took about 2 hours. I had a full bypass and I had to have a hernia repaired again. in 2013 I had it repaired and it appears the stitches didn't hold. So this time he used a dissolvable mesh. This created a surgical complication. While removing my stomach from my esophagus a hole formed near or at the 2013 scar tissue. This got me an extra day and night in the hospital for recovery. And It gave me an extra day with zero food or water. The first 48 hours I only had an IV to hydrate. that was also hard. They gave me swabs but they got old quick.

So for me, and all of us are different, the worst of the entire deal was the gas they used to blow up the cavity so they could work laparoscopically. I am sore throughout my torso, but the gas pain is awful. They ask you to walk that off and use this blowing tube thing. Strangely enough, the gas crept up to my shoulders. Terrible. They gave me all the morphine I wanted for the pain but that doesn't hit the gas at all. I am not sure I needed as much morphine as they gave me. They also tried to give me a liquid pain killer but that was too difficult to get down, took me 2 hours to get a single dose in, not sure it makes a difference at that rate.

Due to the hole in my stomach they also installed a suction Grenade looking thing at the side of torso that they pulled Fluid and clots out with. They drained it twice daily and by day four it didn't have much in it. I didn't shower at the hospital, took sponge baths. Was looking forward to coming home and taking a shower but since I had that bag removed that will cost me an extra day with no shower.

I was able to get myself to the bathroom by myself and walk the halls by myself. After they decided I could eat, they sent up, two 2 oz plastic containers of Protein Shake that was pretty good, a deal of sugar free Jello that was decent and hot water and chicken broth packets 3 times a day. by this point, all of that is awesome. The Protein Shakes were really tasty but that little 2 oz size took me an hour to get in comfortably. I could feel the shake hit my stomach. It's pretty sore though that area. I had a tough time with water and swallowing pills. There is no way I can get down 64 ounces of liquid these first few days at the hospital or at home. but, the liquid diet should be a breeze this time cause you just don't feel like eating anything.

I don't have a sleep apnea machine. But my oxygen was low as well as my blood pressure. So I had to wear an oxygen canula day and night. I slept decent but the gas made it tough. they had my bed set so it wouldn't lie flat. I had to lay at an angle with head above my heart and legs.

so four days after surgery and my weight is 251 up from the 238 I was the day of surgery. 1 pound heavier than when I started. My assumption for this gain is all in the iv I was connected to day and night, so it should come down quickly. My entire torso, butt area is completely swollen where its tough to get my underwear on. Haven't had or needed a bowel movement since last Sunday.

my surgeon and his partner are amazing as well as the staff at the hospital. I was well taken care of. I'm anxious to start this journey but I can tell this first week might be slower than I hoped for. I get around fine, I just need to take it easy.

I know this is long and too much info but I would have really liked all this info prior to going in.

funny you should ask.

First, I have a fantastic surgeon.

I just couldn't come out of it. The breathing and weakness was not improving. So i got ahold of my surgeon and he asked me to come in. No pain in the surgery area, but under my right breast was intense. I thought it was gas. If felt EXACTLY like what I had before. Well, a cat scan and X-ray determined a pulmonary embolism in my right lung and another 4 day hospital stay in excruciating pain. I came home yesterday and had to come home on oxygen cause I still can't get the breathing well down yet. But at least it doesn't hurt when I breath.

No, I haven't had the energy, strength or desire to get my Water or Protein in. Im fact I just haven't been able too. I'm a little nervous that I am dehydrating myself. I see my doc tomorrow so I'm hopeful. I'm super weak just getting to bed, or the bathroom. This has been super hard, but I know it will get better.

Oh my Lord-that's terrifying! I really hope things start turning around for you fast!