Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am Canadian going to Mexico for the Gastric Sleeve. I'm pretty excited and also interested to hear from some others (Canadian or not) that are going to Mexico for surgery.

I'm going to Mexico for surgery and leave this Friday. Surgery is on Saturday. I am trying to get over my fear of dying while I am down there, especially after so many people have had successful surgeries. I am having my surgery with Dr Rodriguez in Juarez, Mexico. Where are you having yours?

I'm going to Mexico in three weeks... I'm in the US (Alaska). I'm actually really calm and excited more nervous about the flights there and back (flying at this size makes me extremely anxious because I don't want to make other passengers uncomfortable because I'm large).

I feel the same way about flying. I bought my ticket on Southwest because seats are first come first serve and no one is gonna want to sit next to me anyways. I'm a size 26/28 and I know larger people have flown before but I always get nervous about that.

I'm going to Mexico in October! My insurance covers nothing for the sleeve and the surgery in Utah is $16000... which I'd rather use for my education.

I'm going with Dr. Illan- I actually was scheduled last year for surgery in August but due to lack of support from mostly my mom (including many crying sessions) I decided to wait. It's a miracle they even accepted me back after cancelling the first time but I'm so excited to finally do this even if it's in October!

Also I agree on the flying :/ Luckily I'm in Utah so we're driving but I feel for you and I hope everything goes well!

Im also in Utah (Ogden area) but I couldn't stand the 13.5 hour drive so I want to fly. Where in Utah are you from?

I am Canadian going to Mexico for the Gastric Sleeve. I'm pretty excited and also interested to hear from some others (Canadian or not) that are going to Mexico for surgery.

I'm also Canadian and getting surgery in Tijuana in ONE WEEK!!! Where and when is your surgery?

Oh cool! I mean it is a bit of a drive but I guess I've done the trip a lot because my sister lives in Southern California. But I'm in Orem. :) And my husband will probably be driving the way back so I at least don't have to do that ha.

I'm in Oklahoma and I've just scheduled and confirmed my surgery date of July 15 also in Juarez, Mexico. I tried to go through a surgeon here. I went through the entire process, got clearances on everything, quit smoking after 30 years. I get to my pre-op appointment and find that I had gained 40 pounds since my initial consultation (I told the dr that every single time I had tried to quit smoking I gained weight even though I did not make any changes to my diet). I was told TWO WEEKS before my surgery date that I was no longer a candidate and would have to do a 3 month strict diet/exercise regimen and I MIGHT be a candidate for next year. I'm 430 pounds, can hardly walk, cant breathe and have severe edema in my lower legs and feet and they want me to exercise. These insurance companies and surgeons in the states are just about getting rich. I don't think they actually care about getting anyone healthy. I was tired of jumping through hoops and just cant take going through the entire process again with no guarantee that insurance will cover so I contacted BeLiteWeight, talked to a counselor there, submitted my information and voila - I got accepted and have a surgery date all within a week!! Now all I have to do is come up with the rest of the funds. I'm so glad I found this message board. It's comforting to know I'm not the only person in my situation.

12 minutes ago, mstraceypt said:

I'm in Oklahoma and I've just scheduled and confirmed my surgery date of July 15 also in Juarez, Mexico. I tried to go through a surgeon here. I went through the entire process, got clearances on everything, quit smoking after 30 years. I get to my pre-op appointment and find that I had gained 40 pounds since my initial consultation (I told the dr that every single time I had tried to quit smoking I gained weight even though I did not make any changes to my diet). I was told TWO WEEKS before my surgery date that I was no longer a candidate and would have to do a 3 month strict diet/exercise regimen and I MIGHT be a candidate for next year. I'm 430 pounds, can hardly walk, cant breathe and have severe edema in my lower legs and feet and they want me to exercise. These insurance companies and surgeons in the states are just about getting rich. I don't think they actually care about getting anyone healthy. I was tired of jumping through hoops and just cant take going through the entire process again with no guarantee that insurance will cover so I contacted BeLiteWeight, talked to a counselor there, submitted my information and voila - I got accepted and have a surgery date all within a week!! Now all I have to do is come up with the rest of the funds. I'm so glad I found this message board. It's comforting to know I'm not the only person in my situation.

I am also going through BeLiteWeight. My rep is Jessica. Surgery is this Saturday and I am excited, nervous, anxious, basically every emotion. I fly out Friday morning for my pre ops and then I will probably be the first one for surgery Saturday. Dr Rodriguez seems like an excellent doctor. I even had my patient coordinator call him at home to ask a question I had regarding his medical training. Im happy with my choice and plan on doing youtube videos to follow my progress. I had to take a loan out to afford the surgery but it's worth it and I can pay the loan off when I get my taxes next year.

36 minutes ago, LittleWolf0911 said:

I am also going through BeLiteWeight. My rep is Jessica...

Best of luck to you this weekend! Do keep us posted when you are up and about. I'm also working with Jessica at BeLiteWeight and am scheduled for May 12th. Like you, have read many glowing reviews (and 1 negative one that I asked about) - but firsthand knowledge is priceless.

Safe travels!

I would have done the exact same thing. I'm sorry you had to face that. I gained some weight in the quit process and they were kinder about it. Good luck in Mexico. Stay quit! [emoji4]

On 4/26/2017 at 10:32 AM, Imlosingit! said:

I'm also Canadian and getting surgery in Tijuana in ONE WEEK!!! Where and when is your surgery?

hey, it looks like you had your surgery. how did it go? where did you get it done? my surgery is June 6 in Tijuana too!

Hey! I did have my surgery! Everything went really well. I was one of the lucky ones and didn't suffer a lot of nausea. So I've lost 24 lbs since my pre op diet, and 13 lbs since surgery. I'm so glad I did this for myself!!