Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have more heavy menstrual cycles since surgery?

I had surgery mid January and I can't get over how heavy my menstrual cycles have been! Nor how often! Last year I went months in between cycles (I'm 50 so I'm close to menopause I guess) now it's back to every 28 days. Sigh. And the worst it's ever ever been. I mean crazy heavy. Is this a post surgical side effect or something else? I've recently had a check up with my gynecologist (since surgery) but it was before my last 2 crazy cycles. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing this!

My cycle has not changed. I did see a thread about this a few weeks ago. Good luck to you.

4 hours ago, onmyway11 said:

I had surgery mid January and I can't get over how heavy my menstrual cycles have been! Nor how often! Last year I went months in between cycles (I'm 50 so I'm close to menopause I guess) now it's back to every 28 days. Sigh. And the worst it's ever ever been. I mean crazy heavy. Is this a post surgical side effect or something else? I've recently had a check up with my gynecologist (since surgery) but it was before my last 2 crazy cycles. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing this!

Yes, from the hormone dump. Then they went from just being heavier to being every 2 weeks for about a year. Then when I had lost the majority of my weight it went back to normal.

Menopause can also do this to some people w/o a sleeve, my mother had this and got a d&c to clear the lining of her uterus and it stopped being so frequent.

I have always had heavy and near-constant periods (one lasting 4 months straight) and one of my biggest reasons for getting this surgery was to regulate my cycle-which has not happened yet. I've had 2 breaks of a few days (

I was on Depo Provera shot prior to surgery and hadn't had a cycle for around two years. I skipped my injection due to surgery and a week after surgery got my period.

I'm 46 and have been on mild hormone therapy for years (I had way too much estrogen, very little progesterone, and no testosterone at all). Losing weight on the 6 mos supervised messed things up; going full Keto for the pre-op sent me into a tailspin.

After surgery we kept raising my progesterone to try and counter the massive weight loss estrogen dump, but after getting sent to the hematologist at my 4 mos post op visit, we started further investigation into my then constant heavy bleeding. Like, couldn't drive or leave the house and eventually needed a blood transfusion.

Turns out I had large inconveniently placed fibroids that ruled out a uterine ablation and suspected (later confirmed) adenomyosis. Yay, me! So I spent my 6 mos surgeversary recovering from a robotic hysterectomy.

I never thought I'd have two major surgeries in less then 6 mos. I still have my ovaries, so I'm trying to find a new hormonal equilibrium, but it is SO much better now. All the tiredness I thought was from wls? It was severe anemia.

So get that stuff checked out at the obgyn pronto! Hopefully they can help you out with less drastic measures (hrt; ablation; etc.) but don't let it spiral out of control like I did. In my case, my uterus had turned into the Death Star and was using severely enlarged arteries to suck the life out if my surrounding systems. As my surgeon said, "It was evil and had to go."

Best of luck![emoji106]

My cycles have always been hell but they have been a little stranger since surgery. After my daughter they were really heavy so I had a D&C in April last year, went into the program in July and they D&C seemed to help. My periods held steady, heavy and about 7 days long for about 8 months. Had my surgery 12/30/16 and since them the number of days has crept up until 12. I saw my OBGYN yesterday, she suggested the Mirena for me even though my tubes are tied. I'm going to give it a try because I cant live with two weeks on and two weeks off periods.