Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As each day passes and my surgery grows closer, I think of how my life will change.
I wonder what will it be like to eat to live instead of living to eat. What will I do instead of eating?

What do I look forward to if I am not eating? I have built my life around eating.

Vacation meals will no longer be a focus point. Family gatherings will be for the family instead

of the food at the gatherings. Wednesday night Mexican with my daughter will be just for my daughter

instead of what I am going to be eating. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be strange.

Sorry folks, just thinking out loud! I hope I can do this!

"What will I do instead of eating?"

Read a book. Go to the gym. Take a long walk. Lift weights. Ride a bike. Watch a movie. Go running. Play tennis. Play golf. Take up a new hobby. Cut the lawn. Volunteer with a community organization. Play with your kids/grandkids? Weed out all those clothes that won't fit anymore. Talk to a therapist to find out why you built your whole life around food.

The holidays and vacations - don't change. I was sleeved on August 23. I buried my mother on October 4 - week long big Italian funeral built around food. I planned and ate what I could. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for my family and I ate it - just much smaller portions. Vacations - we eat out - I watch what I eat and often take most of what I eat home with me. Christmas - we went to an amazing steakhouse (I had sung three church services in 24 hours - I wasn't cooking) and I had an amazing dinner.

But today - there's so much more I can do that I don't think just about food. I was singing at church today from 8-1. Came home, had a bit of lunch and cleared the front flower beds - haven't done that by myself in more than 10 years.

There's plenty to think about and do. This surgery works best when you get your head in the right place. Remember, no one is watching what you eat. If necessary, just push the food around on your plate.

Good luck.

You can do it! :)

As each day passes and my surgery grows closer, I think of how my life will change.
I wonder what will it be like to eat to live instead of living to eat. What will I do instead of eating?
What do I look forward to if I am not eating? I have built my life around eating.
Vacation meals will no longer be a focus point.

As I was reading this, I could've written it myself yesterday. I had just had this exact conversation with my husband. I've decided I need a new hobby. Something more active. Riding my bicycle, running again... I thought about volunteering at my local animal shelter walking the dogs. I know it won't be easy. It's going to be a big adjustment, but we can do it. [emoji4]

I too worry about my Large Italian family gatherings and my outings with friends to various restaurants. I want to still be social and make good small choices . Does it make socializing awkward i wonder . I am sure I will have no problem letting anyone know i had surgery so as not to offend. I am scared but so happy to have this opportunity . Obesity is a cause for cancer, So it is cancer prevention ! maybe .......?

I had my surgery in the beginning of February. The most amazing part is that it somehow took away the cravings. I can resist the things I should and for the first few weeks eating and drinking is such a job you will get sick of having to do it. Imagine that. I actually uttered the words "I wish I never had to eat again" and was stunned! After a few weeks your taste for food comes back and you can enjoy it, just in smaller portions. And the surgery really helped with my sugar addiction so making the right choices and enjoying them is easier. My big Italian family is very excited for me and so is everyone I've told about it so no worries about being rude! Plus I always ate a lot of food fast....you will just be eating a little food in the same amount of time. Good luck to everyone. It really is an amazing tool.

"What will I do instead of eating?"
Read a book. Go to the gym. Take a long walk. Lift weights. Ride a bike. Watch a movie. Go running. Play tennis. Play golf. Take up a new hobby. Cut the lawn. Volunteer with a community organization. Play with your kids/grandkids? Weed out all those clothes that won't fit anymore. Talk to a therapist to find out why you built your whole life around food.
The holidays and vacations - don't change. I was sleeved on August 23. I buried my mother on October 4 - week long big Italian funeral built around food. I planned and ate what I could. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for my family and I ate it - just much smaller portions. Vacations - we eat out - I watch what I eat and often take most of what I eat home with me. Christmas - we went to an amazing steakhouse (I had sung three church services in 24 hours - I wasn't cooking) and I had an amazing dinner.
But today - there's so much more I can do that I don't think just about food. I was singing at church today from 8-1. Came home, had a bit of lunch and cleared the front flower beds - haven't done that by myself in more than 10 years.
There's plenty to think about and do. This surgery works best when you get your head in the right place. Remember, no one is watching what you eat. If necessary, just push the food around on your plate.
Good luck.

What an OUTSTANDING answer!!! You slayed it!

In otherwords we"ll have so much energy we can now do more and fantasize about it less .

On 4/9/2017 at 8:09 PM, Jewels501 said:

I too worry about my Large Italian family gatherings and my outings with friends to various restaurants. I want to still be social and make good small choices . Does it make socializing awkward i wonder . I am sure I will have no problem letting anyone know i had surgery so as not to offend. I am scared but so happy to have this opportunity . Obesity is a cause for cancer, So it is cancer prevention ! maybe .......?

If you're big Italian family is like mine, they aren't looking at your plate. Everyone is talking and laughing and pointing meatballs at each other. Eat what works for you. Push the food around on your plate. Be the one to get up and help in the kitchen. Can I tell you that when I buried my mother six weeks after my surgery no one at the funeral knew I had the surgery other than my husband and two kids -- not my sister, not my cousins, not even my mother who was dead. And guess what, no one noticed what I was eating. You got this.

Got it !

This was such a great post! It's the dialog currently going on in my head. And great advice!!

Vacation meals will no longer be a focus point. Family gatherings will be for the family instead
of the food at the gatherings. Wednesday night Mexican with my daughter will be just for my daughter
instead of what I am going to be eating. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be strange.
Sorry folks, just thinking out loud! I hope I can do this!

I love this! I've been thinking a lot about it too. It seems so much revolves around food in many cultures, and just meeting friends it seems the thing to do is eat.

The other day it occurred to me that it would be amazing if instead of meeting with my friends at a cafe or restaurant, we do a hike, or swim. Maybe go dancing.

I have been thinking so much about why I eat and really seems I become bored or happy, then eat. So the trick will be to keep much busier! And when Happy find something else to Celebrate that with. What to do? I'll figure it out :)

Thank you for sharing ~