Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help have surgery date but want to hear from real people

Surgery date set and I am wondering how bearable is the pain afterwards? What is the longest hospital stay? How soon did anyone workout. I am pretty active so worried about hitting gym again. How is energy level? Main struggles after surgery. How long off worker and how soon where you up and moving around. Surgery scheduled 4/25/17

I was sleeved less than 2 weeks ago. The post surgery pain for me was limited to the first 24 hours and was well managed by the surgeon and nursing staff. I stayed one night in hospital as I had no complications and minimal pain. I continued with oral painkillers for one day after discharge then stopped as I didn't need them anymore. I am cleared to exercise lightly after 2 weeks so I'm going for yoga on my 2 week anniversary. I've lost 13lbs since surgery. I had few struggles. Mainly ensuring I drank enough Protein Shake and Water. Trapped gas is uncomfortable but not painful. It helped that I was prepared with the appropriate drinks/nutrition at home. I'm having 4 weeks off work but that's unusual. Having the support of my husband has been the most helpful thing. Good luck with your journey!

I was sleeved on 8/31/16.

I stayed in the hospital for two nights, but it was because of vomiting. After the vomiting stopped, I was fine. I didnt use pain meds after the first few hours.

I was cleared for the gym at the 6 weeks. I took 5 weeks off work, but I would have been fine at the 2 week mark.

I really did not have any pain. The only real issue, was fatigue in the early weeks. After the fatigue passed, I had more energy than ever!

HW 310

SW 278.4

CW 175

Goos luck!

I was sleeved in December. I was off work for a week ( I have a desk job). I started back to the gym the week following, only doing light cardio. At 4 weeks my doctor released me for full workouts.

I did not have much pain at all. I did not use pain medicines after I left the hospital. Make sure to walk as much as possible. It seemed to help me.

I am now 3 months out and am feeling great. My energy level seems to go up and down, but I am a CPA and that could be due to tax season. We will see how that improved after April 15th. ;)

Surgery date set and I am wondering how bearable is the pain afterwards? What is the longest hospital stay? How soon did anyone workout. I am pretty active so worried about hitting gym again. How is energy level? Main struggles after surgery. How long off worker and how soon where you up and moving around. Surgery scheduled 4/25/17

Sleeved on 3/29 and there was a lot of paid immediately following surgery then they give you meds. I was in the hospital one night but should have stayed two nights.

No sore throat but liquids did not feel good until day 4. Take meds on schedule when you go home so you get good sleep. Walk as much as possible.

It's different for everyone. Don't worry. Trust God and your surgeon. Take it one day at a time. I feel great now. Not eating real food is no fun. I am already eating creamy Soups and feel fine. Could not go any longer without flavorful food. Good luck!

Sleeved on 3/29 and there was a lot of paid immediately following surgery then they give you meds. I was in the hospital one night but should have stayed two nights.

No sore throat but liquids did not feel good until day 4. Take meds on schedule when you go home so you get good sleep. Walk as much as possible.

It's different for everyone. Don't worry. Trust God and your surgeon. Take it one day at a time. I feel great now. Not eating real food is no fun. I am already eating creamy Soups and feel fine. Could not go any longer without flavorful food. Good luck!

Thanks so much.

I appreciate your reply.. thank you

I was sleeved in December. I was off work for a week ( I have a desk job). I started back to the gym the week following, only doing light cardio. At 4 weeks my doctor released me for full workouts.
I did not have much pain at all. I did not use pain medicines after I left the hospital. Make sure to walk as much as possible. It seemed to help me.
I am now 3 months out and am feeling great. My energy level seems to go up and down, but I am a CPA and that could be due to tax season. We will see how that improved after April 15th. [emoji6]

Are you losing as expected

9 hours ago, princessK23 said:

Are you losing as expected

I have lost 51 pounds in 3 months, which is actually a bit more than I expected honestly. I am sticking strictly to my diet plan and it is working very well. I have no regrets and do feel this was the best thing that I could have done for me.

I was sleeved 12/30/16. I was in the hospital for 2 nights because that's what everyone in my program does. I was in a bit of pain post op, I had a PCA for pain meds but I feel like it was so quick acting it really didn't help much. I had pretty significant pain around my largest incision for about a week and it was tender for a good month. Any moving hurt pretty badly, especially rolling in bed and going from sitting to standing.

I returned to work at 2 weeks and it took 3-4 weeks for me to be able to sleep comfortably again. As for the gym I was cleared for walking at 2 weeks and everything at 4 weeks.

I was sleeved on December 2nd. I remember waking up when my coworkers called my name at 8 pm. I asked them were my sister was. They found her. Then my bladder decided to kick in after the left. My nurse wanted me to walk to the bathroom. I made a deal that the next time I would walk to the bathroom. Needless to say I didn't go on the bedpan. At 10 pm I was out the bed walked to the bathroom. Oh I hit the pca pump before going to the bathroom. From then on I was walking to the bathroom. They had me on the pca pump. Right now I can't remember the name of the other pain med that was given. My pain was well managed. I didn't have the gas pain. My nurse said it was probably because I moved around so much while I was in bed. I walked around on and off. I stayed in the hospital for one day. You will be cold after surgery. Once I got home I only took extra strength Tylenol for pain. Only exercise I did walk around my apartment the first six weeks. Week 7 I was at the gym. I was constipated. TMI. Lol. I talk stool softeners and that helps. My hot flashes went on vacation for six weeks. Now my body can't decide if it wants to have a hot flash or a cold flash. I weigh myself every two weeks. I had a stall the first month. I'm losing slowly but that's ok with me.

Keep gas x strips handy.

Keep you blanket close by

Take it one day at a time

Don't weigh yourself every day or you will go nuts

Walk, walk, walk

Sugarfree popsicles can be your best friend

I hope this helps

I was in the hospital for 2 nights (could have gone home after 1 but I was having problems with nausea). The pain was bearable with meds but until we got my nausea under control it was a little rough because my dry heaves (nothing in my stomach to actually vomit up that first day) really hurt. I was off pain meds the day after coming home. I still had pain - I was just able to manage it with a heating pad and Tylenol.

I was up walking about 5 hours after surgery and increased my distances each day. By week 2 I was walking 2-4 miles over the course of the day. I wasn't cleared to do anything more strenuous than walking for 8 weeks though because I had a large hernia repaired during my sleeve. Because of the hernia I was also out of work for 7 weeks. I have an active job and the doctor had given me a 10 lb lifting restriction which my job just couldn't accommodate. It was honestly such a blessing though because it gave me the time to really get my eating and Fluid routines down.

My main struggles after surgery were getting enough fluids in because of feeling like every sip would get momentarily "stuck" going down and my tastes completely changing. I'm now 8 weeks out and both of those issues have resolved.

Congratulations on getting your surgery date and good luck! I can already tell this was the best decision I've ever made [emoji1303]

Sleeved 12-19-16! 3 night stay, I had complications! Lots of vomiting from the meds, couldn't do the swallow test because of the vomiting, that is why I had to stay. Most of my pain was from the vomiting. Was off work 6 weeks. Just again because of vomiting. To this day I still have troubles with vomiting. Think I may have a sliding hernia causing the vomiting and severe acid reflux. But I have to wait 6 maths to a year before we can fix it. Dont worry I am one of the few with complications! Other wise I feel great and have losted 56 pounds, and went down 4 sizes. Doctor assures me that I am missing at a healthy rate. I am truly happy and love my sleeve, just not the thing causing the heart burn and vomiting!!

Surgery was on 2/2 went home that day!

The pain was bearable I did the pain meds for 2 days then didn't. We'd them any more (only pain I had after that was because I decided I didn't need the gasx anymore... I DID!) it was fine after that. I ended up being on leave for 6 weeks: I'm an LMT and everything I have to do was on the do not do list! And they told me to start lifting weights 3 wks post op!

Remember to take a picture, weigh and do your measurements! When I don't see results with one I do with the others! I also don't check them every second I do it every couple of weeks!

Pain isn't so bad. You won't need all the meds they give you.

You can, and must, walk a lot after the surgery, but no strenuous activity for six weeks. Don't lift more than ten pounds as that places stress on the internal incisions.

I was tired for about a week. I'd be fine and then instantly need a nap.

I took three weeks off work but could have done two if I had need to. I was bored by the end of three weeks.