Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was in your same boat and still currently am. I had sleeve surgery on 3/13/17 and told no one except my family. I haven't told a single one of my close friends, they all think I've been simply eating healthier. There is actually a place in my hometown that does medically supervised liquid diets to lose weight. I actually did this last year and stopped and gained my weight back. I told my friends and coworkers that I was trying the liquid high Protein diet again and that i would slowly start adding in healthier foods because if i stopped all together i'd go back to old eating habits and gain the weight back. I just entered the week of being able to eat soft foods so i told my friends i was adding in fruits and vegetables and next week i'd add in Proteins and i would try to cut carbs way back. Told them i hoped this would help me make a lifestyle change. They have complimented my dedication and weight loss. My excuse of absence was that i had to get my appendix removed lol. They didn't expect anything of a WLS and change in diet because I had started my "liquid diet" 2 weeks early (for preop) I am not planning to ever tell my coworkers and once i get along in my journey i hope to open up and tell the truth to my close friends when i feel comfortable. i'm scared of the judgements.

I have had AC section and my gallbladder removed with laparoscopic surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

In the past, I had to have 2 laporoscopies for endometriosis. This surgery is done like gastric by pass. They fill you with air for the surgery. You could use this as a story. The pain is the same.
So, if you want to use a cover story tell them that. And say you needed to change your diet to, so you can prevent issues in the future.
Good luck! Lol

I have told my family and my two close friends but that's it. I love my coworkers and my boss (even been on vacation with her), but I've yo yo'd so much the last 6 years I just dont want any pressure or expectations, I did a liquid diet for a year and dropped from 350 to 200, then lost another 20 lbs getting to 180. I loved it but the last 6 years have been up and down, more up than down, and I'm back to 300. They know I went for an EGD because of reflux and I have a small 2 cm hiatal hernia. I told my boss today actually that I need two weeks off to have surgery for it and that they may also need to remove my gall bladder. When I lost the weight on the liquid diet I developed gall stones and had a few attacks. They stopped but my surgeon may remove it preventatively given my history. I read about recovery from hiatal hernia repair and it seems similar to VSG. Out for 2-3 weeks and special diet until swelling is gone. I will be doing. 2 week pre op liver eduction diet and I doubt anyone will notice (we don't eat together) but if so, I'll just be honest. It's liver reduction diet to make my surgery easier.

I'm a newbie, just had my consult with my surgeon yesterday. I have told only 2 people, one is a close friend who just happens to be my co-worker and the other a trusted family member who I will rely on to get home from hospital after surgery. I had a co-worker who had the sleeve done last year and the entire facility knew, they constantly talk and criticize. I just think it is my business and plan to keep it that way. They are so nosey, one even asked what was my doctor appointment for when I returned to work. smh

11 minutes ago, FabNFit@40 said:

I'm a newbie, just had my consult with my surgeon yesterday. I have told only 2 people, one is a close friend who just happens to be my co-worker and the other a trusted family member who I will rely on to get home from hospital after surgery. I had a co-worker who had the sleeve done last year and the entire facility knew, they constantly talk and criticize. I just think it is my business and plan to keep it that way. They are so nosey, one even asked what was my doctor appointment for when I returned to work. smh

People like that need to be put in their place! It's none of their damn business. I work with super noses women, but nobody knows except the two I told. People are way to jealous & judgemental! A few could benefit from the procedure at my job tbh.

I asked the same question too, has anyone done this on the down low? And it seems like I was not alone in not telling anyone but my immediate support people (my mom and my husband) my friends, co workers, boss, and other family members are all being told that I have a hernia surgery (to explain my missing work and such) i have been on the pre op diet for 4 months and lost 30lbs already- and most of my coworkers know I am eating healthier etc as I have not been eating doughnuts or Cookies that they bring in, so I am hoping since it has been known since Jan that anymore faster or additional weightloss will be attributed to that and not WLS. If anyone asks I say I am seeing A nutricianist and doing low carb high protien diet, working out more. All is true, just not going to talk about a personal medical procedure with people. I am not that open of a person, and it makes me uncomfortable to think someone would want to talk about my weight. I still think it's an odd thing to complement someone on -losing weight. But that is just my personal opinion and I know some people love others noticing.

I told my boss and four direct colleagues. I've lost about 45 pounds and it's interesting that they never mention it. Don't compliment me or ask questions. I don't think they're talking about me behind my back. I think they just have good boundaries. I work in HR and have over 200 employees that I work with. I haven't told any of them bc that seems like TMI.

I didn't tell any co-workers. I started my liquid diet early and told a few I was doing it because I was having minor surgery. Now I'm just going to tell them I decided to stick with the liquid diet partially because I actually feel alot better. Whether they believe me or not, who cares. Either way, most people come to their own conclusion to fit the response the want to hear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in the same boat as many of you. I work in a tight knit office and love my coworkers dearly. My boss and I even went on vacation to Australia a few years ago and she has Me over every Christmas Eve (I have no locals family). 2010 to 2011 I lost about 160 lbs doing Optifast for a year. I never told anyone there I was doing it. I was fit and active and it was life changing. Unfortunately, I didn't really develop better eating habits and since 2011 have yo yo'd up and down and now back up 120 of those lbs. I have only told my 2 closest friends, one of whom had a sleeve a few years ago. The other is a friend who also struggle with her weight and has been my diet and exercise buddy for years. My family knows too. I told coworkers the same as many of you. Hiatal hernia to try and help my reflux and gall bladder (after Optifast I had 3 attacks but never followed through with having it out). I go back and forth about theming them and others but I just don't want anyone judging me if I struggle. I know this will be a lifelong challenge for me, I know I will have ups and downs. I have a food addiction Andy I'm a compulsive overrater. It took m 36 years to come to terms with that and start working on it. At 43, I'm ready for some help and I hope that's what the sleeve brings me. Along with the surgery I have a whole other support system from my surgeons program and I've been really happy so far with the program. I go in on Tuesday for my sleeve. I'm nervous. I wonder sometimes that this isn't crazy to cut out 80% of my stomach. But then I think about how unhappy I am. How's I have been stuggling for the last 15 years actively (though all my life on some level) with my weight. This is a long rant but I think as D-day approaches, I may getting more and more reflective. Good luck to you all and believ in your choice and who you tell. This is your life and only you have to live it.