Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, how much did you REALLY walk each day the first week?

13 hours ago, Bon Appetit said:

I had a 30 minute walking routine pre-op that I think helped me recover. I had a nice surgery recovery and extra time on my hands in the hospital. Surgery Day/Day 0 I probably walked 10 minutes in 3 stints. Day 1 - Day 3 walked 30 minutes to an hour one or two times a day while in hospital. I ordered streaming Netflix for the month and with hospital wifi and earbuds helped the walking time fly.
Day 3 hospital release I walked an additional hour of walking blocks shopping pharmacias, trying not to get sweaty which Doc had advised against. Day 4 was all day walking while sightseeing. Day 5 I walked all morning sightseeing in new shoes and developed blisters on my feet. Day 5 afternoon/evening we flew out and there was a lot of walking in the airports. Hubby handled all the luggage. Once I was back home I was back to regular routine of 30 minute walks on treadmill. It took about a week to get used to the treadmill inclines. I reintroduced 2 pound hand weights Week 3 and I'm still trying to get used to that. I'm Week 4 now.

You're bringing sexy back. Sounds like the weight will come off quickly. I hope I feel just as great.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:12 PM, Carmencita!981 said:

You are doing amazingly! I've tried to walk but get light headed if I do it for 30 mins. I should be able to manage that but it seems impossible right now. My surgery was on April 3rd so I guess my issue is not getting enough food to sustain too much exercise.

Are you feeling better?

I usually manage to get my 10,000 a day with the help of my loveable mutt, and the walking around I do at my job.

There's a beautifuly wooded path near my work building that I loved to go after work. Before my surgery, it would take me 60-75 minutes to complete. I tried it for the first time yesterday and it took 95 minutes and I was falling asleep exhausted when I finally finished. I guess I'm not quite ready for it yet!

I usually do 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day. I'm increasing by 1,000 steps each day out of surgery. So tomorrow I'm at 4,000. Many are those are stairs in our home. I'm back to doing household chores as long as I don't lift over ten pounds.

Before surgery I was walking 3 miles - 5 times a week. The 2 weeks after surgery, I was lucky if I could walk a block. I was totally exhausted and weak. I decided I needed time to heal and did the best I could. At 8 weeks I was back to walking the 3 miles.

I think how much you walk post op depends on how active you were pre op. Pre op it was normal for me to get usually 14000-17000 steps per day. Everyday my dogs and I went for a walk and I went for a walk myself (my dogs are kind of obnoxious on leash...lol). I'm also on my feet all shift at work.

Given that, post op I came home on my second day post op. The next day I started back at 10000 steps. I wear a Fitbit so I'm always pushing myself to do more. Since the third day post op I haven't dipped under 10000 steps. I'm almost 7 weeks now