Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you get cold feet before surgery?

I have scheduled my last apt with the surgeon next week, and pending my H/Pylori test being negative I will be getting a surgery date within the next two week. Now that I am getting close started the research processes in Sept. I have Jumped though all the insurance hoops, watched and read everything I can on surgery, and people's experiences etc. I am getting cold feet not getting super excited like I have heard other people do when getting close.

I am not sure if it is normal cold feet or if I should really back out of surgery. I have lost 23 lbs in the last 3 months following the diet and exercise ( making lifestyle changes, which I know I would need to continue surgery or not to stay healthy.) The permanence of surgery is kinda freaking me out, the thought that I may never just be able to binge eat and watch Netflix or something ever again (I know not healthy! Or good) but the never ever ever everness is freaking me out.

I feel in general I have done well in the past 3 months making better choices and working out, not all the time but enough to lose good weight and be on track I would say, have had some pizza or frys sometimes but still getting Protein and not going over my calories from my NUT so I feel like I am getting used to the "lifestyle". I just think even if I did NOT get the surgery and just continued being healthier, I would never lose the 110- 120lbs that I still need to lose to be at my goal/ healthy weight. I feel like WLS will be that tool to give me that extra edge and ability to get there.

What do you guys think? I am a foodie, and I pray that my body doesn't become a picky eater or can't tolerate things because I love adventurous food and travel! Is the risk worth the reward, do you feel like your life is normal? I Am just sick of needing to think about weight for stupid things, Like when I went zip lining in Costa Rica, or I wanted to do free fall fly thing and I am afraid I will be like a rock and not get air, I am worried I won't be able to fit I a roller coaster, this is just not good and I can't go any further down this path.

Sorry for the ramble but would appreciate advice and experiences and others feelings.

HW:273

CW:249

Personally I do get cold feet. But then I Just shut the window or put some socks on.

But seriously, what is concerning is your worry about "may never just be able to binge eat and watch Netflix". Weigh the importance of this, and if it weighs high enough.. don't have the surgery.

I'm an adventurous eater too and love trying new things on vacation. Especially foods indigenous to the area. I'll still try the foods, just carefully. I'm going to follow this thread because I've had similar thoughts.

I lost 99 pounds (from 397 to 298) during my six month pre-op diet program. But as successful as I was, I knew that I still needed to lose another 120 pounds, and that the sleeve was the tool I needed to help me get to a healthy weight once and for all. I've always been a pro at losing weight, but I have been a bigger pro at gaining it all back, too. That was another factor that weighed very heavily in my decision to have the surgery. The sleeve is the tool I need to not only lose the weight, but to keep it off.

I have been a carb addict all of my life, but by ridding myself of them, I have taken my life back. While I might miss some food or drink in a fleeting moment, for the most part, I don't. All of the benefits (e.g., wearing regular-sized clothes, not needing a seat belt extender on the plane, not seeing people's horrified look at how huge I was, be flirted with constantly when we go out, etc., etc., etc.) is SO MUCH MORE FUN AND IMPORTANT than any food or drink.

Good luck!

If you are a foodie, like you actually have good taste in food not just eating lots of crap, you are going to LOVE foodie life post op.

Most of the time for myself I have the same simple things all the time. So when I go out, it is a real treat, especially since it is fairly rare I go to a real restaurant now, compared to the past ( I used to eat out a lot, now just a couple times a week maybe).

After going through the food stages and adjusting your relationship with food. You learn to love food as fuel. Then when you do eat delicious things out, you can totally be satisfied with a taste. Food to me tastes far better now than it ever did before because since I know I can only have a "little" (and that isn't really true anymore, depending on what it is, I can have a almost normal portions of things that are not dense protein), and what I have has to be good. I won't waste room or calories on bad food. I went somewhere last week, had half a bite of food, decided it was rubbish and walked out (I had already paid my tab before the food came). At least that is my experience. I can have a little bit of everything and just enjoy the taste and the flavors and not try to eat to be full. So all the fancy restaurants that I used to feel starved after I ate there, are completely satisfying now. It is really hard to explain to someone that hasn't experienced it but some of the other vets that used to post here have expressed the same kinds of feelings.

I went from first visit to surgery in 8 weeks. No time to get cold feet, plus my BFF bought a plane ticket to be with me and spent her own money so I couldn't back it. I purposely did it all very fast so I wouldn't have the option of talking myself out of it.

No regrets about surgery not one second.

Thanks for this post. I'm experiencing my own cold feet and frankly I'm shocked. I KNOW my surgeon since he pulled my stomach out of my chest cavity 2 years ago. I KNOW that my increasing weight is causing my health status and life satisfaction to decline. I KNOW that I hate feeling like I'm 87 when I'm only 46 and in the prime of my life. I KNOW this is the best decision I've made in a very long time but I did call my surgeon and reschedule my surgery from 4/4 to 4/11 and my feet aren't any warmer. I'm just thankful that I'm not alone. Looking forward to not having a small meal of pills to take twice a day is the one thing that's keeping me motivated.

It's hard to decide but looks like a good opertunity to make a change in your life.

before you even consider backing out....Watch my youtube video explaining how i backed out 2 years ago, then wound up back here and eventually got the surgery. Im sure my story sounds familiar .

definitely got cold feet. even the morning of my surgery. totally normal.. fight through the jitters, itll be worth it !