Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you finally decide to go for it?

Each time I felt the urge to shed the extra 100-150 lbs, I would check into bariatric surgery. I would talk to friends and family. I would sometimes go to the initial consultation with the surgeon and even to the psychologist to discuss the options. Each time I walked away from those conversations with doubt and fear. If I would just exercise, it would be easy to lose weight. If I would just eat healthier foods, it would be easy to lose weight. The years passed, and the weight increased. I joined a lousy gym, and didn't go because I had no one to care for my children long enough to spare me the time. Then, I joined a great gym, hired a personal trainer, and got serious. Expensively serious. A year later, I had a little more muscle mass, a lot more strength and endurance, but still the same size and weight. I never changed my diet, so the exercising may have kept me from gaining, but it wasn't enough to reduce the weight. Lesson learned: throwing money and time at the problem doesn't help.

A couple of years earlier, the doc said I was pre-diabetic. Said I should start taking Metformin. Said no exercise or diet would help me because my body was storing everything as fat. I took the medicine for a week, then promptly had my first ever anxiety attack, while driving. I couldn't breath. I couldn't swallow. I thought I was going to pass out and wreck the car. I decided to never take Metformin again. So what if my sugar levels were a little high, and so what if I was almost diabetic. I wasn't - so it didn't matter to me. Then.

In late September of last year, a splitting headache put me in the hospital with Viral Meningitis. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, I had the Herpes virus in my spinal Fluid. I didn't even know I had Herpes. No outbreaks, no issues. Doc says maybe it stemmed from the chicken Pox I did have when I was a child. Other docs said no. During my 4 day hospital tour, the nurses decided I had high blood pressure, and then low blood pressure, and full blown diabetes, and a UTI, and low Calcium, in addition to the virus cruising around my spine and brain.

It was a wake-up call. Something had to be done to fix my body.

I signed up with my first ever Primary Care Physician, based on a recommendation from my brother. I went to talk to him, and it cost $200 just for a visit. I didn't let that deter me. I was on a mission to Fix Me. The doc was patient, funny, sarcastic, and said you don't need any medicine. The hospital just wanted to cover themselves. You could fix all of this with bariatric surgery. I shrugged and said no thanks. I'll try the healthy eating option first.

Then I talked to friends again. This time I had two actual bariatric success stories in my family. They both had the sleeve, and lost over 100 each. They looked fantastic. Aside from some strange new food allergies, all was fine.

Then in a one on one with my manager, he asked me if I'd ever considered bariatric surgery. Out of the blue. Funny that. Well, he went on to say that his wife, his daughter, and two of his cousins have had successful sleeve surgeries with a particular doctor named Charlotte Hodges, and that I should consider it. I looked at him and said, "I will think about it."

On October 13, 2016, I walked into the New You Bariatric Center and said, "This is Deborah!" Now, I'm sitting here, with a strong desire to pour out my experiences, because I'm still afraid, still have doubts, but my surgery for a full gastric bypass and two hernia repairs is scheduled for Monday. On my birthday!

Edited by Akka
added final statement.

Wow - great story and I think most of us here can relate. Good luck with your surgery on Monday!

Good luck! Surgery is always a little scary but it's worth it. I've lost 130 pounds in about 16 months the surgery was the only way for me to lose weight. My body was so messed up I exercised 3 to 4 times a week but couldn't lose weight cause hormones and hunger levels a mess. I did Optifast for 3 weeks and lose 4 pounds...I was starving. I was pre diabetic and my levels are now all good and I'm at top of bmi range and want to lose about 10 more. Stay positive! All the best