Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years 20 lbs in 3 months

Downward trend stopped right at about the beginning of December 2016 and after weighing in after weeks of avoiding the scale (yup guilty slider foods w/ coffee) and I knew I was gaining I could feel it yet would not and still cannot stop / slow down and get back on the right path.

I never imagined after losing so quickly and so easily it would end and I'd again start gaining but no more lying to myself in the river of denial. I'm a food junky and always will be!

What am I going to do? I'm always hungry! It's like an insatiable hunger that only stops when my pouch is full and pouch only gets full when I eat protein/veggies but why do I continue eating the slider type foods that provide no satiation what so ever!?

I try to blame my 10-11 hr work shifts, the fact that I'm just a "sugar addict" and can eat my sweet and salty Snacks as long as I don't eat meals! No wonder I'm gaining!!! How does one get back on track!? Am I alone in my current misery!?

My stomach is feeling awful again, I'm feeling tired and stressed - all the old feelings are coming back after 2 years of successful weight loss over a hundred pounds!

I'm almost four weeks out, so I haven't been through the different phases. Have you made an appointment to see your nut? I would definitely start there. Getting meals and Snacks back, maybe a return to those basic things you learned after your surgery. And start small. Pick a slider food and decide you don't have room for it. Or better yet, revamp it and make a healthy version. Good luck!

I am with you cockapoomom. I have finally stopped this hell with the beyond diet. Clean organic eating, nothing processed, no fast food. For the first time in six months the scale is moving down, not up. It is not a diet. It is clean eating and fresh food. The advice from my surgeon did not work. An apple and not eating, and his life coach, didn't work. My 1 egg with lots of spinach, etc keeps me full till dinner, Check it out on Pinterest to get the basics. So tired of it all, but decided the clean eating is the only answer.

@cockapoomom

Are you actually hungry? Is it head hunger or is acid?

I have a lot more head hunger in the past few months but my physical hunger isn't there. I just want to eat more.

If you have to have eat sweets, get Protein Bars. They are expensive, and most of them will give you gas so that should help slow your sweets urge and at least you eat getting some Protein.

You can try protein brownies. eatmeguiltfree.com

I think it is easier to work with your weaknesses than against them. So find protein sweet replacements for your sweets cravings. Want to snack get the Quest protein chips.

Cook steak, chicken, pork cop, cut them into strips that you can eat with your fingers.

Just replace your problem items with good items.

I'm not sure how you feel at this point, I am not quite out as far as you, but I don't really feel like a WLS patient at all. I'm pretty much a regular person with just a smaller stomach. Once you get further out from surgery I feel like a lot of WLS eating advice is useless. A nutritionist is just going to tell you what you already know. You have to see the patterns in your behavior and figure out a way to work around them.

One thing I did to break bad habits at work on my 10 hours shifts was to just fast for the shifts for 2 days. I realized I was just eating because I was bored or my co-workers were eating. So I channeled that into something else.

Hi there! So my recommendation is to go back to a pure Liquid Protein diet. I'd do that for 4 weeks and then go through the post surgical protocol diet. I'd go back to the calorie restriction.

I lost my 1st 100lbs doing a medical liquid diet. 700-800 calories a day, drink 5 shakes and at least 64 ozs of Water. You need to hit the Reset Button again. :)

It's OK, You are gonna be OK. YOu know how strong you are since you did this before. You know what to do it's just hard to not satisfy our food urges. Try to remember what it felt like to wake up full of energy, that bounce and pride in your step, feeling excited to be outside. There are so many great things out there for us. Try to focus on that, not on the fact that you might have back-slid a little. You can take care of this!! You totally got this.

You have the knowledge, the tools, now you just need to pull yourself up and do what you need to. It's OK to to have a set back. It's OK to fail sometimes. Honestly. Just get yourself back on track and you are gonna feel AMAZING!!!

You can't live forever on a liquid diet. That is just fad dieting. The best thing about having WLS is you never have to fad diet again.

A liquid diet works against your tool. A Protein Shake would be like drinking Water to me and I would still be hungry.

Dense Protein is our friend post op. If you had 4 ounces or so of steak would be full for hours with no desire to snack.

What an amazing supportive group of woman all of you are! Thank you! Today I went back to basics but not the hardcore broth and Water diet I think I tried to do a week ago in order to "reset" my pouch.

My pouch is still tiny it's hat I've been stuffing it with slider food and not eating meat / Protein or doing 3 meals a day.

Today I did my egg omelette with a bit of shaved ham, lunch a protein bar and dinner I'm gonna have some cooked steak water all day!

I feel full and satiated and full of energy. Funny how that works! Lmao.

7 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

You can't live forever on a liquid diet. That is just fad dieting. The best thing about having WLS is you never have to fad diet again.

A liquid diet works against your tool. A Protein shake would be like drinking Water to me and I would still be hungry.

Dense Protein is our friend post op. If you had 4 ounces or so of steak would be full for hours with no desire to snack.

The Protein Shake was a doctor monitored and recommended diet that worked successfully for me to lose over 100 lbs. I did it for a year. My only recommendation was for her to do it for 4 weeks. As a reset. She might not need a fad diet but she was asking for suggestions. That is mine. And my doctors based on our last visit. He said that going back to the pre and post surgical diet protocol short term is absolutely OK.

52 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

The Protein Shake was a doctor monitored and recommended diet that worked successfully for me to lose over 100 lbs. I did it for a year. My only recommendation was for her to do it for 4 weeks. As a reset. She might not need a fad diet but she was asking for suggestions. That is mine. And my doctors based on our last visit. He said that going back to the pre and post surgical diet protocol short term is absolutely OK.

And it is a fad diet. I have and will continue to advise people against fad dieting. It just creates and continues unhealthy relationships with food. People need to find life long ways to eat that are sustainable and healthy.

I lost my first 100 pounds eating real food every day. I didn't need a liquid diet to lose weight.

Doctors prescribed Fen-Phen too, doesn't mean it was healthy or sustainable.

Also, no offense but you aren't even 6 months from surgery. You have no idea what life is like at this point.

OP should have posted in the Vets forum.

And it is a fad diet. I have and will continue to advise people against fad dieting. It just creates and continues unhealthy relationships with food. People need to find life long ways to eat that are sustainable and healthy.
I lost my first 100 pounds eating real food every day. I didn't need a liquid diet to lose weight.
Doctors prescribed Fen-Phen too, doesn't mean it was healthy or sustainable.
Also, no offense but you aren't even 6 months from surgery. You have no idea what life is like at this point.
OP should have posted in the Vets forum.

I find kindness to be a benefit in life. Good luck to you.

@LittleLizzieLilliput

Where did I say one unkind thing?

I'm taking my time that could be spent doing anything else in an attempt to help a stranger on the internet. If that isn't kindness, I'm not sure what is.

Refuting bad advice is not being unkind. This is a discussion board not an echo chamber, people are going to disagree.

There are two phases to weight loss surgery. These are the weight loss phase and the maintenance phase. The strategy for these two phases are different. I am almost 4 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery and this is the approach that I am using in the maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

Thanks again everyone for helping me by taking the time to communicate your experience with a weight re-gain and how to successfully reset my mind and way of eating.

I think perhaps for me, personally, liquid only, at this late stage of surgery left me starving buy the end of the day and resulted in a complete lack of control where I impulsively tossed back whatever carbohydrates I had available in the house during the evening which continued up until about bed time (grazing sliders) until falling asleep.

That was the night before I became aware of the fact I was returning to the previous food addicted behaviors thus prompting me to reconnect to BariatricPal and look within to make the conscious effort to stop thwarting my efforts to succeed because after all I am my own destiny.

Today I did great. Even at night I had a corn tortilla with Swiss as my snack and that was the only carb I had outside a yogurt with granola. Everything else I consumed was Protein and limited to a very small portion each at morning, lunch and dinner.

While some may have the discipline to stick with liquids I'm not strong enough yet don't doubt its effectiveness since I lost 20 lbs presurgery during the "liver shrinking preparedness" stage.

I take all feedback here as healthy constructive and even the debate I find helpful.

James, I too make my own whipped cream, glad to hear it's "legal" as it is one of my guilty pleasures in the AM hours in the office as well as my afternoon slump resurrection .

Anybody with other suggestions or who are experiencing what I've been experiencing chime in! Perhaps we could lean on each other for support and motivation.

What an amazing supportive group of woman all of you are! Thank you! Today I went back to basics but not the hardcore broth and Water diet I think I tried to do a week ago in order to "reset" my pouch.

My pouch is still tiny it's hat I've been stuffing it with slider food and not eating meat / Protein or doing 3 meals a day.

Today I did my egg omelette with a bit of shaved ham, lunch a Protein Bar and dinner I'm gonna have some cooked steak water all day!

I feel full and satiated and full of energy. Funny how that works! Lmao.

You all are really helping me. I'm a back slider. On March 21st, 2017 will mark one year since my surgery. I started eating bad after my sister passed away in September 2016. I've eaten sweets, carbs, sugary stuff, etc. I haven't gained weight but I'm afraid if I continue on this path, I will. I need to "reset" my sleeve as well. I promised myself I will start with a liquid diet for 2 weeks and then go to soft foods and then the protein dense foods again to get me back on track. Do any of you think that this is wise? I need help!!!