Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I met with my surgeon for the first time today and everything went ok except that he said he would rather do the bypass surgery instead of the sleeve. He said it's ultimately my choice, that he will do either for me but that because of how much weight I need to lose he suggests the bypass.

I have been doing a lot of research about the two and honestly I don't want to do the bypass. The sleeve seems like a better fit for me and I don't really care what the statistics say because I am not a statistic. I am just me. I know the sleeve isn't going to magically take away all my problems, it's a tool. A tool that is going to help lead me towards a better, healthier me.

Sorry for the rant. It's just been an emotional few days. Did anyone else get prescribed anti depressants before surgery? I've never taken them before and they are not required. Not sure if I'm going to take them or not.

My surgeon recommended the bypass for me as well because he was concerned about my acid reflux. But I was already aware that it could get worse after the sleeve, and he said it was ultimately my decision. So, I'm going with the sleeve, because I believe it fits my needs better.

I was not/have not been subscribed anti depressants, so I can't really help you in that case. I would just go with what your gut/heart wants and focus on the healthier you that you're striving for. Best of luck to you and stay strong!

My surgeon recommended the bypass too. I am not comfortable with the bypass and just said no thank you, I want the sleeve and he was ok with it. Ultimately you need to be comfortable with your decision and if you are not comfortable with the bypass just tell him that and get the sleeve.

I'm currently on anti-depressants and have been for a long time. If the anti-depressants can help relieve some anxiety that you're having I'd suggest you give it a try. It helps me tremendously when I have anxiety or fear.

My surgeon didn't suggest bypass, rather I told him why I won't have it. He was ok with it. Ultimately, you know it's your choice. Go with your gut, your intuition, the facts you have for you. I'm pretty sure your surgeon will be on board with you no matter what you decide. Oh, and I have acid reflux now too, I am not a stat either. ?

Personally, I wouldnt want bypass either.
Too many issues with "dumping" syndrome.
I am working towards the sleeve.
Bypass just seems so old school and outdated.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot. My surgeon really had me doubting myself but I know in my heart that the sleeve is right for me. I'm sticking with my original choice.

May I ask what your BMI is?
Mine is currently 56
My doctor doesn't like to do Bypass, he said he doesn't recommend it.
He prefers the sleeve and said he sees the best results from the sleeve.

What really matters is comorbidities associated with being fat.

If your liver is fine, if you don't have advancing diabetes to a point where you take insulin, have some type of heart condition, etc., I don't see the urgency to get an RNY done. Even with me I had 3 surgeons (my surgeon in particular who, after speaking to many people who work with him, noted he LOVES the RNY) all convince me to go sleeve mainly because my liver fibrosis stage 3 and diabetes (which are definitely a big health risk) were very much under control and quickly improving.

Post-op the VSG gives you more freedom without the RNY side-effects, plus the inherent risk to both the RNY surgery, which is greater than VSG, and the risk/complications later on if you require any major surgery in that area, should always be taken into consideration. People in the private industry who push certain surgeries may be doing so for their own benefit and not yours.

If your surgeon recommends bypass get a list of why and possibly get a second opinion. If it's based on general assumptions rather than your personal conditions (if any) then it's doubtful that's much of a necessity. Bypass is supposed to be for people with more serious issues necessitating the increased risk of complications. That's why for people aged 50+ I see it's very much more often RNY.

Keep in mind too that any good surgeon will offer a follow-up on a VSG so that in the case it doesn't work out as planned an RNY is still an option. This is the case with me.. am offered RNY after 1 year if I don't like the way the VSG is going.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I wouldn't take the anti depressants unless prescribed by a shrink. Doctors are not specialized in that, in my opinion should not prescribe them for you.

They alter your brain chemistry so after two weeks of being on anti depressants your serotonin levels will drop to make room for the fake stuff. This is why getting off the depressants difficult. You'll never be happy again after that unless you alter everything like nutrition, exercise etc, which we all would be better off doing.

Please don't take them.

Stick with the sleeve, you know what is best for you.

So, I met with my surgeon for the first time today and everything went ok except that he said he would rather do the bypass surgery instead of the sleeve. He said it's ultimately my choice, that he will do either for me but that because of how much weight I need to lose he suggests the bypass.
I have been doing a lot of research about the two and honestly I don't want to do the bypass. The sleeve seems like a better fit for me and I don't really care what the statistics say because I am not a statistic. I am just me. I know the sleeve isn't going to magically take away all my problems, it's a tool. A tool that is going to help lead me towards a better, healthier me.
Sorry for the rant. It's just been an emotional few days. Did anyone else get prescribed anti depressants before surgery? I've never taken them before and they are not required. Not sure if I'm going to take them or not.

Antidepressant takes a few weeks to kick in for the full effect. What is it that you are anxious about?..
depression isn't normally diagnosed unless you have certain symptoms and more then 3 weeks. A few down days won't and shouldn't warrant to just start taking them.
I am on antidepressants and have been for a bit more so for anger issues.
After my surgery though I have become different. Like I have apathetic feelings and I'm null. Nothing to do with food etc more so from the anaesthetic ( I think). Literally a day after my surgery I knew something wasn't right. Bla bla bla
And antidepressants aren't hard to come off for most people.

38 minutes ago, erica_ozzy73 said:

Antidepressant takes a few weeks to kick in for the full effect. What is it that you are anxious about?..
depression isn't normally diagnosed unless you have certain symptoms and more then 3 weeks. A few down days won't and shouldn't warrant to just start taking them.
I am on antidepressants and have been for a bit more so for anger issues.
After my surgery though I have become different. Like I have apathetic feelings and I'm null. Nothing to do with food etc more so from the anaesthetic ( I think). Literally a day after my surgery I knew something wasn't right. Bla bla bla
And antidepressants aren't hard to come off for most people.

Agree completely. Antidepressants aren't like popping a couple of ibuprofen because you have a headache. Depending on the medication it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to really kick in. Like WLS meds are a tool. IMO without a proper combination of counseling/therapy and meds I think you're wasting your time. An old boss of mine used to take an extra antidepressant on days when she was "really stressed." I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough at stupidity like that.

Coming off antis can be a serious pain in the ass. I was on meds for a couple of years (probably 15 years ago now) and they helped me get through some difficult years, but ultimately it was just a tool that helped me get through it. The meds themselves were not a cure all to make things better. If you suffer from actual depression it's something to consider, but if it's only to help get through an anxious period I'd stay far away from them. Just my two bits.

Agree completely. Antidepressants aren't like popping a couple of ibuprofen because you have a headache. Depending on the medication it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to really kick in. Like WLS meds are a tool. IMO without a proper combination of counseling/therapy and meds I think you're wasting your time. An old boss of mine used to take an extra antidepressant on days when she was "really stressed." I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough at stupidity like that.
Coming off antis can be a serious pain in the ass. I was on meds for a couple of years (probably 15 years ago now) and they helped me get through some difficult years, but ultimately it was just a tool that helped me get through it. The meds themselves were not a cure all to make things better. If you suffer from actual depression it's something to consider, but if it's only to help get through an anxious period I'd stay far away from them. Just my two bits.

Yep for sure

My BMI is 60 because I'm so short.

Right now I don't have any serious comorbidities, that's why I'm not considering the bypass over the sleeve.

I don't think I'm going to take the antidepressants. I don't think I need them. I only get anxious every once in a while just because I'm not a big fan of of change and this is a big change.

My BMI is 60 because I'm so short.
Right now I don't have any serious comorbidities, that's why I'm not considering the bypass over the sleeve.
I don't think I'm going to take the antidepressants. I don't think I need them. I only get anxious every once in a while just because I'm not a big fan of of change and this is a big change.

Maybe you could lose some weight pre surgery and get your BMI down?
Based on what I have read, I would prefer the sleeve versus bypass.