Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cardiologist Visit

Hi all, I just found out that i have to have this done before approval. I have done everything else that is required. Has anyone had this done? If so, what happens during this visit.

Thanks.

Hi all, I just found out that i have to have this done before approval. I have done everything else that is required. Has anyone had this done? If so, what happens during this visit.

Thanks.

Buttercup

You are a baby so I don't know - but they will most likely to an ekg - & sona gram (i know how to spell it but my brains is blank) - and maybe a stress test -

Good Luck

I had to have and EKG, Echo, Stress Test... and all that lead to me having a EP study. BUT I have a STRONG history of family heart disease. Yours might not include all that.

I had to have and EKG, Echo, Stress Test... and all that lead to me having a EP study. BUT I have a STRONG history of family heart disease. Yours might not include all that.

Whats an ep study??

I failed the treadmill (don't know how the thought a fat 52 yr old couch potato was going to run on a tread mill for more than 2 minutes :)) so they had to do a nuclear stress test -

EP study = eletrophysiology study= a mapping of your eletrical system of your heart. A electrophysiologist would go through one or both of your groin area with a thin cath. and a camera and look at the "mapping" of your heart. If they find any abnormalities then there are many things they can do to fix it. Stent placement, ablation, catherization... so on.

But what I"m confused about is who determined you "failed" your stress test? I NEVER knew, personally or professionally, that you could "fail" a stress test. I mean of course, like my resting heart rate is around 160-170, which is about 80-90 beats per minute faster than normal. During my stress test it took :45 sec to get my heart rate to 211. My goal was 167. Thats what I started out at... Anyway, I was just wondering what's going on with that "fail" business.

Have a wonderful day

EP study = eletrophysiology study= a mapping of your eletrical system of your heart. A electrophysiologist would go through one or both of your groin area with a thin cath. and a camera and look at the "mapping" of your heart. If they find any abnormalities then there are many things they can do to fix it. Stent placement, ablation, catherization... so on.

But what I"m confused about is who determined you "failed" your stress test? I NEVER knew, personally or professionally, that you could "fail" a stress test. I mean of course, like my resting heart rate is around 160-170, which is about 80-90 beats per minute faster than normal. During my stress test it took :45 sec to get my heart rate to 211. My goal was 167. Thats what I started out at... Anyway, I was just wondering what's going on with that "fail" business.

Have a wonderful day

I could not walk on the treadmill long enought for my heart rate to get up there (i guess) - i walked for a bit and told the doctor this isn't bad - then he increased the incline and speed - i would only walk for a short period of time - I take atentoal (sp) which to my understanding slows my heart beat - When I asked "do i have clogged arteries - (my dad had angioplasty sp) he said i wasn't on treadmill long enought to get a reading so i had 2 choices nuclear stress or angiogram... I chose the nuclear stress test - That's why i said I failed the stress test..

I walk on the treadmill at gym (35 lbs lighter than when I did my stress test 3 months ago) and on a 5 incline for 2 minutes the machince say my heart rate only gets to 118 - max 122.. I know that these aren't super reliable - but i attribute it to my meds - but again - i am just a tv internet licensed doctor :(

You have a great day too :biggrin1:- also just a little suggestion change your name to something more positive - like "Nurses2bthin" :confused: - We gotta think on the postive note :confused:

Truely - my DIL is a nurse - and this could be her name too :)

i'm not being mean - it's just when i saw your name - it made me think of her. :confused:

I had to see a Cardiologist because my EKG was abnormal. So the doctor said he would not give me approval until I got checked out by a Cardiologist. What happened was I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which is very common in women who are overweight. It basically means I have too much testosterone and my periods are very irregular. I was bleeding all the time. They found out it was because I was severely anemic when I went to the Caridologist. I had to go to my OB/GYN to get put on birth control and now have to take them twice a day for a while. I am not sure what they will do. They probably will do another EKG and bloodwork. If you have not had the bloodwork through your doctor then you can just get it through your Cardiologist and not have to do it twice. If not you can have your doctor fax over the results to your Cardiologist and that will save you time and money. From there they will run different tests to make sure your heart is ok for surgery like perhaps a sonogram of the heart, stress test, etc. There are many different things they may want to do. Good luck!

You have a great day too biggrin1.gif- also just a little suggestion change your name to something more positive - like "Nurses2bthin" happy.gif - We gotta think on the postive note happy.gif

Truely - my DIL is a nurse - and this could be her name too rolleyes.gif

i'm not being mean - it's just when i saw your name - it made me think of her. silly.gif<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

LOL, I should make it more positive, but when I wrote it I was in a sour mind frame from getting my decline from insurance. but we are working on an appeal and everything is looking positive

But good luck on the nuclear stress test, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it goes.

What happened was I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which is very common in women who are overweight

I feel your pain. I also have PCOS and have been going through infertility treatments X 3yrs. VERY frustrating.

Everyone, keep in touch with me and let me know how things are going.

LOL, I should make it more positive, but when I wrote it I was in a sour mind frame from getting my decline from insurance. but we are working on an appeal and everything is looking positive

But good luck on the nuclear stress test, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it goes.

Nurse2bthin aka Fatnurse

I already had all my test - it was fine the tech told me i had a good heart and showed me my pics ... I was banded 7/17 ...

Good luck on the appeal - I have a lady on my 50+ thread and she use to work insurance and she said always appeal...

Keep us posted ...

I had to see a Cardiologist because my EKG was abnormal. So the doctor said he would not give me approval until I got checked out by a Cardiologist. What happened was I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which is very common in women who are overweight. It basically means I have too much testosterone and my periods are very irregular. I was bleeding all the time. They found out it was because I was severely anemic when I went to the Caridologist. I had to go to my OB/GYN to get put on birth control and now have to take them twice a day for a while. I am not sure what they will do. They probably will do another EKG and bloodwork. If you have not had the bloodwork through your doctor then you can just get it through your Cardiologist and not have to do it twice. If not you can have your doctor fax over the results to your Cardiologist and that will save you time and money. From there they will run different tests to make sure your heart is ok for surgery like perhaps a sonogram of the heart, stress test, etc. There are many different things they may want to do. Good luck!

So hw did they diagnose you for pcos.. i actually did a symptom checker on webmd and that was one of the things that came up when i put in my sypmtms... when i looked more into it i actually have like at least 75% of the syptoms... (which is kind of freaking me out) but i dont know how to ask my dr. about this i mean i dont want her to think im nuts:confused: