Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else do this (chew food for taste)

Hi all I'm 16 days post op (in the pureed stage) and although I don't have a feeling of hunger I'm kind of getting so bored with the options I am allowed.

So I have been chewing on food I see in the kitchen to get the taste, but then spit it out into a tissue instead of swallowing.

Apart from being gross, is this bad ? Had anyone else done it?

Sent from my SM-A300H using the BariatricPal App

This topic has come up before and caused quite a uproar. So, I'm not going to be dramatic about it. :) It truly isn't good for you to do this. By chewing you're activating your digestive system. It's sending signals to your brain that food is coming. And when it doesn't come, well....now you're hungry and you've got to eat. Not to mention, what if you accidentally swallow the food? Seek out something new to eat that's allowed for your stage. I'm over a month out and trying new things everyday to avoid boredom.

Ok, sorry didn't want to open up a big can of worms with this question but was more just curious of anyone else has done it... Glad to hear you are doing well

Sent from my SM-A300H using the BariatricPal App

Absolutely not!!! This is a bad habit to start. You need to take this time to change your relationship with food, where you eat to live and not live to eat.

Although I haven't had surgery yet, and will probably be feeling the same in the coming weeks, I will try to keep in mind the 6 months of preparation for this along with the long term benefits. That way I can tell myself "it sucks, but it's only a couple weeks"

Keep strong!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

This topic has come up before and caused quite a uproar. So, I'm not going to be dramatic about it. :) It truly isn't good for you to do this. By chewing you're activating your digestive system. It's sending signals to your brain that food is coming. And when it doesn't come, well....now you're hungry and you've got to eat. Not to mention, what if you accidentally swallow the food? Seek out something new to eat that's allowed for your stage. I'm over a month out and trying new things everyday to avoid boredom.

A nurse friend of mine told me that even chewing gum causes the digestive fluids in your stomach to digest the food that is in there. Then you get hungry faster. It made sense to me. I rarely ever chew gum. Just sayin...

Ok so I had to go thru the "break up" with food and was not prepared for it. I did crew n spit but I had to in order to get those issues with food out of my system. The taste of this or the crunch of that...it was what I had to do. Now self righteous people or the finger pointers or the ""I'm better than you but will only say some clever medical passive aggressive comment" will all be against this but YOU DO WHAT YOU NEED TO. It's your path your journey and if you need to chew n spit, do it. Don't make it a habbit. Don't depend on it to get by but do what you need to do and then move on.

I did. I was in a rough place those few weeks post op. And now I am 3 mos post op, over 50 lbs down and eating healthy. You will get to where you need to be just be careful. Ice pops work wonders n sugar free slurpees hit the spot too!

Best to you! ????????????????????

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by GourmetH20

So back when I was on a liquid diet when I lost 100 lbs this was something I did. It was because I'm addicted to food. So what you are experiencing is a form of withdraw and chewing and spitting is a form of trying to give yourself a hit of your drugs. I was able to get past it so I'm sure you will as well. It's good to talk to people about it too.

You said you are getting bored so you did it so I have some suggestions! lol!

Start a project like a knitting, art or craft project. Sequin Art Butterfly off of Amazon - buy it and do it! That latch-hook rug of a cute coastal scene? Get it! Do it! What you want to have is something to keep your hands and mind busy while at home watching TV or movies. Don't give your body a chance to send your brain signals and keep your brain occupied so it ignores some of those impulses.

Get sugar free pudding and yummy creamy Soups that you can strain and enjoy the savory Soup. You want to give yourself options for when you are feeling snacky or munchy. Alternatives that feel like cheating but are really on your plan.

Finally, one of the bad things about chewing and spitting right now is Acid. What happens is your body reacts by producing more acid for your stomach as you are chewing. So your new tummy is being inundated with all this acid that isn't good for it. Acid reflux also is confusing for our new tummies and instead of telling us there is too much acid it kind of feels like we are hungry, which would creating a cyclical process for you of chewing, spitting, feeling hungry, chewing, spitting, etc.

The best thing for you health wise both physically and psychologically is to curb this impulse as much as possible and find healthy alternatives to satisfy these needs you are feeling.

Good luck and congratulations on having the surgery, it's the best!

I was sleeved 1/11. I do chew food and spit it out or give to dogs. I miss chewing for sure. But I'm slowly giving that up. Make sure your filling up on your Protein. After surgery you lose the hormone that sends the Brian the message to ear. So I am. It sure is the saliva going to your stomach will send a message of not

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App