Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-weeks pre-op liquid diet, when are you used to it?

Hello,

I'm on Day 3 of the 2-weeks pre-op liquid diet. Day 1 was hard, Day 2 seemed okay. Now it's the evening of Day 3 and I'm cranky and hungry. I sip on diet Snapple and Premier Protein all day and night but tonight it's really hitting me that I'm not eating. I feel like my sense of smell got stronger too because I smell food. I even smell what I'm craving (shrimp tempura, fried chicken, chocolate, burritos, & quesadillas).

I have not cheated. I don't want to cheat because I don't want to risk being open in the operating room just to close my stomach and say I can't get the surgery done.

How long did it take for you to get used to this? Like, what day of this pre-op liquid diet were you finally fine? I can't wait for that day. This will be a long two weeks.

Height 5'0"

Weight for consultation: 216 lbs.

Pre-op Weight: Unknown until January 20th.

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

About a week in. Good for you on toughing it out.

@@Sunshine4247 I'm not focusing on food. It's all around me. I smell it when I come home when my neighbors are cooking, I smell it when I work (I'm in the grocery industry at that), and when I drive (BBQ smell, Mexican food, etc...). Someone in class was eating before class started & the aroma of the food was so strong. So, I'm not focusing on food. I see & smell it everywhere I go. I can't lock myself at home until surgery. I still have to be productive outside by going to work and school.

Height 5'0"

About a week in. Good for you on toughing it out.

@@erp thank you for providing a solid answer. I hope it gets easier after the first week. Thanks for the encouragement.

Height 5'0"

I had the same problem. My family was still eating regularly. My coworkers was eating all kind of different food. I didn't mean to sound like you was totally focus on food. I apologize. My way of coping with food was focus on the results from refusing to eat with my family and friends. I had surgery 01/23/17. I have lost 30 lbs. And I am glad I reframe from eating the Tacos and hamburgers with them. Good luck to you

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

I will be 2 weeks postop tomorrow all liquids (Water and Protein shakes only). It does get a lot easier.

I find that I "crave" a lot of food but it's very easy to say no... WAY easier than preop! I actually understand what "head hunger" is now. It's particularly easy if I've had enough Protein.

I also found that at about a week postop I could drink a much more reasonable amount of Water and protein. For example, rather than just being able to drink a few drops of water I could drink a mouthful which made hitting the protein and water goals much easier.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

I don't think the 2 week pre-op diet got any easier. I just had to stay home and keep myself busy trying not to think about food. The only thing that made things easier was being post-op! Stick it out, it's not forever!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your pre-surgery height and weight are almost identical to mine! I had my surgery Dec 19. I can tell you that the first 3-4 days were the worst for me. Part of it is head hunger and part of it is detoxing from all the sugar and garbage we are used to eating. Once I made it past that, I honestly felt great! I was worried about being tired and concentrating at work, but I ended up feeling better and more energized than ever. Keep up the Protein. It helps with the hunger. Keep your eye on the prize and I promise it gets easier. By the time you get to the hospital, you will be ready and already getting thinner!

Thanks @@Sunshine4247 . Yes, everyday I feel better resisting the foods everyone else is eating.

Height 5'0"

Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.

Surgery date: 2/13/17

Goal: - 71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).

Thank you all for your encouragement. I do keep it in mind that this is temporary. I can't wait for post-op when they cut the hunger hormone out too.

I can't wait for the post-op @@GrrlAnn . I always here it's so much easier after surgery. It's great that you can consume all that liquid. I heard that's hard post-op.

Height 5'0"

@@rbaertsch I'm glad to see someone with similar stats. How much have you loss since surgery in December?

Height 5'0"

@@CocoNina 25 pounds including my liquid phase. 40 overall. Don't expect the massive, rapid loss you sometimes see people have here. I did and it was just frustrating me. We are different. I find myself getting down because I'm only losing 1-2 pounds a week, but then I realize...hey, wait, I'm halfway to goal 6 weeks out! And the difference in how I feel is AMAZING! Be patient with your body throughout your journey and know that if you are following the rules, you will be successful 100% of the time. Oh, and, yes, losing those hunger hormones is the best perk ever!