Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is doing everything RIGHT?

I'm getting sleeved today and I want to start everything off on the right foot. I see a lot of posts from people who aren't hitting their Water or Protein targets and then are disappointed that they aren't losing as much weight as they hoped.

So, I'm hoping for some thinspiration from those of you who 1. Had surgery at an accredited Bariatric Center of Excellence 2. Got clear, detailed post-op instructions on diet, hydration, exercise, etc. 3. Are hitting your Water target every day 4. Are hitting your Protein target every day 5. Are walking or exercising every day.

Tell me about how you have been knocking it out of the park! What have you done right? Do you have any other tips that have really helped you stay on track? How much have you lost? Feel free to post before & after pics!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I did everything "right" through my post-op food stages. I followed my post-op nutrition plan like it was my Bible. I did my 60 total minutes of "brisk walking" per day. I got my Water and Protein in. Hit 100 grams of Protein daily before I was even back on solid foods. As soon as I was cleared for more intense exercise, I started Couch to 5k and strength training. I met my goal weight right at my one year mark and have been maintaining for almost 16 months.

I definitely don't do everything "right" anymore, but I do it well enough to maintain! Once you are in maintenance, it's about making good choices like 80-90% of the time.

I do! I am militant about everything that goes into my body and my routines that are necessary to support my goals. I eat around 1000 calories per day; I keep my carbs below 20 grams per day; I keep my Protein at a minimum of 100 grams per day; I drink 120 oz of Water each day, and I walk a minimum of 5 days per week.

I had my surgery September 28, and I have lost 161 pounds so far (99 pounds during my six-month pre-op diet program and 62 pounds since the surgery). That is 75% of my excess weight gone and I just hit the 4 month mark on Saturday.

Good luck in your journey!

I followed all the "rules" of my food stages to the letter as well. When I made it to 6 months I did try and add a few things back in like Pasta, but found it to be a slippery slope to a place I didn't want to be...so I stopped. I get between 60-80 grams of Protein per day, stay under 50 grams of carbs and drink a minimum of 80oz Water daily. Most of my carbs are from fruit, veggies and yogurt. My weight loss has been a little slow, but steady. Best wishes to you today, you will do great!

I did everything "right" through my post-op food stages. I followed my post-op nutrition plan like it was my Bible. I did my 60 total minutes of "brisk walking" per day. I got my Water and Protein in. Hit 100 grams of Protein daily before I was even back on solid foods. As soon as I was cleared for more intense exercise, I started Couch to 5k and strength training. I met my goal weight right at my one year mark and have been maintaining for almost 16 months.

I definitely don't do everything "right" anymore, but I do it well enough to maintain! Once you are in maintenance, it's about making good choices like 80-90% of the time.

Congratulations!!!!! I admire you Jamie!

I love hearing these positive examples! I'm checked in to the hospital now. I weighed in at 221 pounds. Just found out my surgeon is running 2.5 to 3 hours behind. :(

wow that's really amazing to me I am six weeks postop and I am struggling to figure out how to get my Water and my posting. I use the Protein shakes and in between I'm sipping on water but I feel like I'm always gassy and I am always happy to put something in my mouth to try make his goals. How did you do this did you have a regular eating schedule?
I did everything "right" through my post-op food stages. I followed my post-op nutrition plan like it was my Bible. I did my 60 total minutes of "brisk walking" per day. I got my water and protein in. Hit 100 grams of protein daily before I was even back on solid foods. As soon as I was cleared for more intense exercise, I started Couch to 5k and strength training. I met my goal weight right at my one year mark and have been maintaining for almost 16 months.

wow that's really amazing to me I am six weeks postop and I am struggling to figure out how to get my water and my posting. I use the Protein Shakes and in between I'm sipping on water but I feel like I'm always gassy and I am always happy to put something in my mouth to try make his goals. How did you do this did you have a regular eating schedule?

My doc said that most people will struggle to get their Protein and Water in for the first 8 weeks. The plan was to get as much of it in as you can and slowly reach goal (80-100g protein/day, 64+ oz H2O/day). When I saw him 2 weeks post op and told him I wasn't hitting my goals, I was disappointed in myself and thought I would get a talking-to from him. He just patted my leg and said I was doing great and that I'm still healing and will hit my numbers as long as I follow the program. He was right! lol!

But I still have to work on making my Water goals. I can't gulp water anymore. I am MUCH better now, at 12 weeks I was able to take some big drinks but would still get queasy if I drank too much too fast. at 15 weeks I'm able to get 8 oz down in about 20 minutes without trying too hard or feeling bad.

It's a journey so "doing everything right" doesn't mean it will go perfectly. There will be some ups and downs, some back slides and some leaps forward. Our metabolism is a magical creature that sometimes eludes us. lol! It doesn't like the body losing so much of it's stockpiled energy and will slow down thinking we are dying of starvation. Then it will realize, nope, gotta dump some energy now! and bamn, 3 lbs gone overnight. lol! Or, that's how it will work for me sometimes. I have stalls every few weeks. I'll have a week where I don't lose anything or even go up a lb even though I'm doing everything right and increasing my water and exercise slowly every day. Just got to kind of throw up your hands, realize we are only in control of so much and keep on keeping on.

@ I only had trouble getting my Water in for the first two weeks or so. I had terrible esophageal spasms every time I swallowed, so it was very painful to take even the teeniest tiniest sip. My strategy for dealing with that was to march in place while sipping. It helped a lot. And I stuck to my nutritionist's plan for me to aim for 1 oz. every 15 minutes. I would sip, sip, sip constantly, not try to do the whole 1 oz. at a time!

After a couple of weeks, the spasms went away and it was MUCH easier for me to get my Water in. As for hitting my Protein goal, here is how I did it in my soft foods stage:

Breakfast: Protein shake (20 grams)

Morning Snack: String cheese (8 grams)

Lunch: leftovers from dinner (15-20 grams)

Afternoon Snack: Greek yogurt (12 grams)

Dinner: usually a recipe like Shelly's baked ricotta, tuna salad, or some sort of pulled chicken in sauce from the slow cooker (15-20 grams)

Evening Snack: Protein Shake (20 grams)

Hey @@anonmom! I had my surgery on 1/24. Today has been the first day I've been feeling pretty good. I'm not hitting my Protein goal quite yet but I am hitting my Water goal. Sipping slowly on Water while you're still on liquids has helped a TON with the gas pains. And walking! I'll keep you posted as more time passes. My WLS goal is 80-90lbs. The first 2.5 days had some shitty moments but today has been great!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@ I only had trouble getting my Water in for the first two weeks or so. I had terrible esophageal spasms every time I swallowed, so it was very painful to take even the teeniest tiniest sip. My strategy for dealing with that was to march in place while sipping. It helped a lot. And I stuck to my nutritionist's plan for me to aim for 1 oz. every 15 minutes. I would sip, sip, sip constantly, not try to do the whole 1 oz. at a time!

After a couple of weeks, the spasms went away and it was MUCH easier for me to get my Water in. As for hitting my Protein goal, here is how I did it in my soft foods stage:

Breakfast: Protein shake (20 grams)

Morning Snack: String cheese (8 grams)

Lunch: leftovers from dinner (15-20 grams)

Afternoon Snack: Greek yogurt (12 grams)

Dinner: usually a recipe like Shelly's baked ricotta, tuna salad, or some sort of pulled chicken in sauce from the slow cooker (15-20 grams)

Evening Snack: Protein Shake (20 grams)

Surgery went fine yesterday evening and I was in and out of consciousness all night, but this morning I feel very dehydrated: Migraine, dry mouth, etc.

I've been told to start drinking 1 ounce of water every 15 minutes, but there is simply no way I can do it. Those esophageal spasms are so extremely painful!

I've been told to start drinking 1 ounce of Water every 15 minutes, but there is simply no way I can do it. Those esophageal spasms are so extremely painful!

Yep, they hurt like hell. But you have to tough it out. Marching in place while sipping helped a little bit. Definitely don't want to end up back in the hospital for dehydration!

I did very well. Water was difficult at first because I was so full from even the tiniest bit of Protein. My surgeon and nut actually customize the plan for people based on their sw, gw, history of weight loss, and eating habits. For me, there were very few restrictions... the one I'm still following is to abstain from bananas and carbonation; all other restrictions are gone. I gradually added in caffeine (one cup/day as per my nut), alcohol (maybe twice a month, one drink), carbs (less than 40/day, about to go up to 80), 100 g of Protein (started at 60), exercise (every day at first, then vigorously 3-4 X week for 45 minutes), sleep (very important- this really affects your metabolism and most plans I've seen don't address this), Vitamins. Since the restrictions were fewer at each stage and since I came into this with pretty good eating habits, by the third month I was basically off the leash to do what I wanted provided I met protein/carb goals.

I kept a glass water bottle with me and knew that I had to empty it 3X every day to get in the Water (I still use it). I tracked everything I ate. I began by walking every day and then transitioned into running and biking. I'm no athlete but I actually like exercise now! My other tip is to have a good relationship with your scale. My surgeon also had guidelines for that. Daily weight for two weeks so you can see your progress, then every 4-5 days until the 4th month, then once a week... once you hit gw, once every two weeks. I wish that I had followed this protocol but I didn't until I was about 2 1/2 months post op. The scale can make you crazy!

I love this! I feel like this is the synopsis of what I've "been missing".. thx!!

I do! I am militant about everything that goes into my body and my routines that are necessary to support my goals. I eat around 1000 calories per day; I keep my carbs below 20 grams per day; I keep my Protein at a minimum of 100 grams per day; I drink 120 oz of Water each day, and I walk a minimum of 5 days per week.

I had my surgery September 28, and I have lost 161 pounds so far (99 pounds during my six-month pre-op diet program and 62 pounds since the surgery). That is 75% of my excess weight gone and I just hit the 4 month mark on Saturday.

Good luck in your journey!

I've been told to start drinking 1 ounce of Water every 15 minutes, but there is simply no way I can do it. Those esophageal spasms are so extremely painful!

Yep, they hurt like hell. But you have to tough it out. Marching in place while sipping helped a little bit. Definitely don't want to end up back in the hospital for dehydration!

I'm scared to leave the hospital, but I don't think I can stand another day here. Did you go home before you were able to drink enough and just trust that you would be able to do it once you got home and off this awful IV?