Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi, freckels, i gave up some around the 23rd of jan, I was on those tabs from the doc, chaponick or something like that, I had 4 weeks supply of then, and have not had a fag since,I wake up most mornings and feel like a smoke, I have been smoking for about 30 years, about 20 a day. I do find it hard, but I realy dont want to be a smoker, mainly because of the cost of smoking, I am so glad that I had the help of the tablets. You just keep up the good work, if you do have a smoke, just start again, you will do it good luc x Mandy

Thanx Big Sis, Wishful and Mandy. Big Sis, I've missed your lovely posts, in fact all you chicks on here are class!!!

hey Big sis, I have more than a small drink :thumbup:...but I have to have something to look forward to every night when I come back from visiting, cant eat much cant smoke, so my only vice is booze.:thumbup:

I did the abstaining for 10 days pre-op if you remember, and was so good....Michael VDB said my liver was very thin and in perfect condition, no fatty parts at all, so that helped me no end.

In fact it made me turn to the bottle picky.gif

but i will ease off soon, I think.

Thanx Big Sis, Wishful and Mandy. Big Sis, I've missed your lovely posts, in fact all you chicks on here are class!!!

hey Big sis, I have more than a small drink :thumbup:...but I have to have something to look forward to every night when I come back from visiting, cant eat much cant smoke, so my only vice is booze.:thumbup:

I did the abstaining for 10 days pre-op if you remember, and was so good....Michael VDB said my liver was very thin and in perfect condition, no fatty parts at all, so that helped me no end.

In fact it made me turn to the bottle picky.gif

but i will ease off soon, I think.

Hey Freckles, there's one other vice you haven't mentioned......presume you have given that up as well?! Bigsis x

Hi everyone,

I am going to take the plunge and book my op for mid may, I've got around 5 - 6 stone to lose, but after reading some of the posts here - I am a bit worried.

I have noticed people saying they are starving and could 'eat a horse', how can this be? Maybe I don't understand how this works but I thought that your stomach was so small that you didn't feel hungry? Also these fills...What are they about? Doesn't the band work straight away then? Why is it only after fills that you lose weight? And how are people managing to eat chocolate cake and turkey dinosaurs??

Is it not true that you are sick if you eat stuff like this? And some are saying that they aren't losing weight...so is there any point in getting this done? :thumbup:

Also I read of leaks and faulty bands - is this normal?

I'm thinking this may not be worth it now, should I just go on a diet if essentially thats all you guys are doing and the band is not stopping the hunger?

Please advise me - I'm so confused!

Thanks

Lisa

ahh poor Lisa, no hunny dont let our stupid banter put you off, the band does work, my daughter has gone from 20 stone to just over 12 stone and she looks fantastic.

I havent had a fill yet which is why I can eat at the moment, but things will change as soon as i have that fill.

I am on my second band because i had a leak, but its not very common, so dont worry.

I loved my band which is why I paid out nearly 4 grand for my second one, it has cost me almost £10,000 and worth every penny.

I know that i will lose loads and never have to worry about putting it back on.

Sorry if we have mislead you hunny xx

Phew - Ok, thanks for that Freckles. I also read something about a Dr. Bilemans or something like that - he says that banding is the most unsuccessful of surgery options - and then other people rate it highly. If the op only cost £50 then it wouldn't be so much of a worry, but unfortunately not!

Thats fantastic about your daughter! Well done her - how long did it take her to lose that amount? Did she follow any diet with the band? Do you have to diet or is it just that you can't eat? Can you explain why the hunger doesnt go away?

So, did you have Dr De Bruyne? When did you have it done and whats the story on the fills? Why are they so important? Please tell me everything.... :-)

I'm really sorry about all the questions but I just want to make sure this is the right option for me before I call them back. :cursing:

Thanks so much.

Lisa

x

Hi everyone,

I am going to take the plunge and book my op for mid may, I've got around 5 - 6 stone to lose, but after reading some of the posts here - I am a bit worried.

I have noticed people saying they are starving and could 'eat a horse', how can this be? Maybe I don't understand how this works but I thought that your stomach was so small that you didn't feel hungry? Also these fills...What are they about? Doesn't the band work straight away then? Why is it only after fills that you lose weight? And how are people managing to eat chocolate cake and turkey dinosaurs??

Is it not true that you are sick if you eat stuff like this? And some are saying that they aren't losing weight...so is there any point in getting this done? :)

Also I read of leaks and faulty bands - is this normal?

I'm thinking this may not be worth it now, should I just go on a diet if essentially thats all you guys are doing and the band is not stopping the hunger?

Please advise me - I'm so confused!

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I agree with everything Freckles has said. She was very unlucky to have a leaky band poor thing.

Some people (including myself!) are saying they are hungry because they have not hit their 'sweet spot' which means the band is giving restriction making them feel full earlier than without the band. This is achieved with the fills - you have saline (I think) injected into the port of the band which inflates the band. In turn this makes the gap between the top and bottom of ur tummy smaller making it slower for the food to pass through, and u are satisfied for longer. I can send you some info if you like that Dr Chris's assistant sent me.

The band alone will not achieve that full feeling as it is not inflated when they operate on you though you may feel a little restriction whilst your tummy heals.

I had my operation on 13th of this month. I do feel hungry but that is expected as I have had no fills yet (recommended after 4-6 weeks). The fills cost around £80-90 depending on where you get them done (Dr Chris/Frederik come to various places in UK once of twice a month).

Does that help?

Any other questions just fire away!! :cursing:

Now can all of you bandsters say 'hand on heart' that you have stuck with mushy food and not tried anything else during your mushy period? Or am I the only naughty one?

I know I must fess up.... maybe thats why I havent lost much:sad: I have tried lots of different things and can eat most of it, but only small amounts.

I'm ravenous all the time, and I know if I was smoking I wouldnt be as bad, but I feel the time is right for me to give up, and its been 4 weeks now, and I dont want to start again.:tt2:

Any advice out there?

It depends what you call mushy?!! It was mushy by the time I swallowed it!! :cursing:

When I was on liquids I had some of those biscuit things we had in hospital - I was given permission! :) Also some quavers as they are similar texture and helped me to stop feeling sick!!

This week I am mush. Mainly mashed veg, well cooked jacket pots, porridge etc but I have had Pasta and it went down fine oh and a little bit of ready cooked chicken (but it's quite soft). I could eat a horse though!!

What have you been eating young lady?!! :tt2:

Wow your daughter has done brilliantly - how long did it take her. How many fills did she have? xxxxx

Oh I forgot to say. I went to the doc's yesterday to tell him about the band - he already knew! Not sure if he had spotted the note on the computer the nurse made after removing my stitches or rumor control had been working over time in the staff room.! :cursing: Anyway he was very supportive which was great.

Hello and welcome lisa, it is a bit confusing but you will soon get your head around it, the band is there as a tool to help you lose weight and to keep it off, i think most of us on here has dieted over the years lost weight and always put it back on and more. The band is like a bicycle wheel that is deflated..it then has a saline liquid injected into it which will inflate the band.. this is done over the months after your band,(it has to be done slowly as not to over fill which would result in you not being able to eat or drink and would need a unfill) this will only let you eat small amounts and feel fuller for longer, you can still eat chocolate as that melts so the band is not a quick fix miracle cure you still have to work hard and watch what you eat, im so glad i had my band fitted and i know it was the right decision for me as i have tried every diet going and more for over 20 years, i dont think there is anyone who regrets having there's.. maybe we all thought 'we've got the band the weight will fall off'. They say it could take between 12 months and 2 years to lose all your weight..iv waited a long time so im sure i can wait a little more, any questions you have ask away we are all here to help any way we can x

Everything the girls have said is true Lisa, except one thing about the diet thing.

My naughty daughter survived on booze and chocolate, last year, not the healthiest of options, she kept having acid reflux and that was all she could manage.

She was banded by THG

Previous to this she had lost 6 stone, simply because the band restricts you from eating much, once you find your sweet spot as the girlies have said.

Her band was fitted in april 2005, she lost about 2 stone at first and then it just gradually fell away.

She has only had 6 fills.

And now she is 4 months pregnant, and hasnt put any weight on yet!!!!

I was banded by Michael Van den Bossche in the Spire ( was Bupa) Southampton both times.

he was so good about my faulty band and persuaded the manufacturer to replace it.

laffingwoman.gif

@ Sammy

good call!! I have tried lots of stuff, some goes down, some doesnt, but really you see I'm more or less in the same position as when I went for the band this time as my band wasnt giving me any restriction, however saying that, I have pb'd a few times and things get stuck, which didnt hardly happen before the op.

Hi sammy i know what you mean about you could eat a horse, i am eating more and a lot more different foods, i was ok after my 1st fill i wasnt really feeling hungry BUT after my 2nd fill its all changed.. cant understand why, it should be the other way round, roll on my next fill x

Ok girls, this was my experience.

Remember the doctor, not the surgeon at the Spire told me that long haul flights would not affect my band, well he doesnt know what he's talking about, because I went to New York, Jamaica and Florida over 2 years.

Each time when I got there (and it lasted the full 2 weeks) I wasnt hungry, and hardly ate anything, I just drank coffee and alcohol:tt2:

Now I think that the pressure on the flight affected the tightness of the band and helped me reach my sweet spot

Each time I came home I had lost weight. But it didnt last, the band loosened up again. Now it was faulty so maybe that was why those holidays were the only time I found the sweet spot.

That my dears is how its supposed to work, so keep up the fills. Also remember when you are losing weight you also lose weight from your internal organs, therefore the band will need more filling once you've lost more weight.

I will know when I reach the sweet spot, it may take over 12months but it wont matter, I'll get there.

Dont let yourslef get over-filled because its dangerous and you will have to go back for a de-fill. It happened to my daughter and she couldnt even swallow her own saliva, very scarey.

I hope this helps you little piggies :):lol: I'm one myself :cursing: