Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Out - feeling pretty awful

Hi guys -

So I'm 2 days out from my sleeve and I"m feeling pretty freakin' awful. I feel SLIGHTLY better today than I did yesterday, but I don't think the pain killer "block" (?) that the doc used is helping me. He said it usually keep people from feeling much pain for 3 days, but that it doesn't work for everyone and they have no idea why it does or does not work from case to case. My left abdominal area is SUPER sore/bruised. Standing and sitting is when it hurts the most. AFter I do stand, it feels very tender for a minute, but then subsides a bit. Of course this is to be expected -- I'm just wondering if some of you didn't feel that pain due to the pain medication received during the procedure? I'm afraid to try my liquid hydrocodone -- I did try it once yesterday and threw up almost immediately. For that same reason, I'm also worried about drinking my Protein shake and the Water. It just seems hard to keep anything down, although since I've started taking the zofran more regularly, I haven't actually vomited. But right now I sure feel like I want to. Anyways....I'm just curious to hear what other people's experiences in the first week post-op were like? How soon can I expect the bruising pain to be much less noticeable? And do you think 2 days post op I'm okay to shower? I think my doc said to wait 2 days and I read somewhere else that you could shower immediately after. I'm definitely ready for a shower -- at least, that's what my fiance tells me! :D Just tell me I'm not in this alone and it will get much better sooner. I've always recovered quickly from other procedures (nothing as big as this one though) and I really didn't expect to be as miserable as I am right now. Thanks for any advice or support you can offer! :)

Hi Holly,

I'm 3 days out. Yesterday I felt very awful but a tiny be better than day 1. Today I feel almost human.

I was vomiting everything and not able to even have Water without MUCH pain. I just wanted to crawl in the corner and curl up. Last evening was better and today I feel like I'm going to get better. I'm just sticking to clear fluids for now and I find the anti-nausea much more helpful than the pain meds anyway.

I'm allowed to have a shower today. They said I could yesterday after the doc had been but I just wasn't up to it.

It will get better for you soon. xx

My time is NOW!

@@ShinyLady - Congrats on pulling through! Okay - glad to know that I'm not the only one having a hard time keeping stuff down. I do actually feel almost human right now--- hoping this lasts for awhile and I continue heading in this direction!

Had mine on the 18th...feeling more human today as well. Still very sore but the nausea isn't as bad. I also think that the Zofran was giving me headaches as that is a major side effect.

~Ashley~

It gets better each day. I am 4 days out and working hard to heal. The keys for me are: 1) drink Water 3-4 ounces an hour 2) manage the pain 3) walk every couple hours. I am just starting to introduce full liquids but going slow

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I hate zophran. It doesn't work for me and has horrible side effects. Ask you dr for phenegran It works so much better.

And I'm almost four weeks out. My side is still sore, but the pain lessens every week. That first week was horrible. The second week was bad after sitting for a while. Third week was a little better. Yesterday I had no pain, but it was back today. Those muscles have to heal. They cut through then, inserted a stapler, and had to stitch them back up.

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

Hi guys -

So I'm 2 days out from my sleeve and I"m feeling pretty freakin' awful. I feel SLIGHTLY better today than I did yesterday, but I don't think the pain killer "block" (?) that the doc used is helping me. He said it usually keep people from feeling much pain for 3 days, but that it doesn't work for everyone and they have no idea why it does or does not work from case to case. My left abdominal area is SUPER sore/bruised. Standing and sitting is when it hurts the most. AFter I do stand, it feels very tender for a minute, but then subsides a bit. Of course this is to be expected -- I'm just wondering if some of you didn't feel that pain due to the pain medication received during the procedure? I'm afraid to try my liquid hydrocodone -- I did try it once yesterday and threw up almost immediately. For that same reason, I'm also worried about drinking my Protein shake and the Water. It just seems hard to keep anything down, although since I've started taking the zofran more regularly, I haven't actually vomited. But right now I sure feel like I want to. Anyways....I'm just curious to hear what other people's experiences in the first week post-op were like? How soon can I expect the bruising pain to be much less noticeable? And do you think 2 days post op I'm okay to shower? I think my doc said to wait 2 days and I read somewhere else that you could shower immediately after. I'm definitely ready for a shower -- at least, that's what my fiance tells me! :D Just tell me I'm not in this alone and it will get much better sooner. I've always recovered quickly from other procedures (nothing as big as this one though) and I really didn't expect to be as miserable as I am right now. Thanks for any advice or support you can offer! :)

I received the same block. Only lasted 2 days, not 3 like they said. I mentioned that I received that pain block in a post and some creap named fat dad basically made fun of me and implied there was no such thing. I am 4 days out from surgery and it really does get better. Take the anti nausea medication before you take the pain meds. Those pain meds make a lot of people sick.

@@RunningWithScissors the pain block is real. I had my gall bladder out in Sept. Had the block, worked perfectly. No pain at all. Lovely. Had one for my bypass in Dec and it didn't work for me at all. Dr. Said they have no idea why it works for some and not all.

He did say the left incision is bad because it is the biggest, there are internal stitches, and lots of nerves in at area.

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

@ HoIly McQuillan I'm 4 weeks out and it does get better, the first few days after surgery I regretted getting the sleeve. Once I began to see my weight coming off it all seemed worth the bad experience you go through in the beginning. It's hard to get used to this new way of life, you miss the old way of being able to enjoy food. But looking better and feeling lighter makes up for that. Each day after gets easier.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My sleeve was Thursday. I was totally unprepared for the pain and discomfort after. Fortunately I have not been nauseous much since the day of surgery. The pain in shoulder area and chest has been bad and is just getting better today. Prayers coming your way for a smooth recovery!

@@Holly McQuillan

Hi there Holly,

How are you going now? I'm day 15 now and would say I am starting to feel almost normal now. :)

jkirkpatrick35032

It'll get better, I cried the first days, I very much regretted taking this route to lose weight. But even though it's hard and a big change for us it's for the best. You're going to start seeing changes in you you'd never believe possible. And that's when you're going to start feeling better about everything you're going through. Stay positive!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App