Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking, drinking and food!

This was my day to day life for years! I loved to meet the girls out for some margaritas and wine, few beers by the pool and fire pit! Barbecue grilling and restaurant dining!! For the past six months I've been struggling with the smoking part and well the drinking and eating! I am smoke and alcohol free for now 30 days alcohol hasn't been a problem but the smoking is an extreme addiction! I think I want a cigarette more than I want food being in my two week liquid only diet! The main question for everybody is what do with myself now that drinking smoking and food are no longer a part of my life! During work is fine but my weekends are killers, i've been hiding in my bedroom all weekend too afraid to leave the house to fall back into bad habits! I am single and 40 and I live in Wisconsin with temperatures at freezing! I need to find a new hobby or something to do with myself anybody have any suggestions!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am so impressed!!! alcohol, cigarettes and food. Every minute of every day, you should pat yourself on the back.

I smoked for 25 years. Quitting is very hard. That advice about the first 2 weeks being the hardest is BS. It is hard for much longer so keep your guard up. It is not just the physical addiction but it was such a part of your life. It was a reason to take a break, it was something to do with your hands when you were bored, it was something to do with your mouth instead of eating. right?

I promise it does get better. At first you will be preoccupied every minute of the day and think of nothing else. Gradually the time between will get further and further apart until one day you'll realize you went a whole day without thinking about a cigarette.

It helps to remind yourself that never again will you have to go stand outside in the rain or snow to smoke, never again will you need to wake up on a Sunday morning and run out to the store because you ran out, never again will you have the awful smell on your breath and clothes, and best of all you will not develop those deep vertical lines on your lips as you get older.

so proud of you!!!!

It's hard....I know.

I smoked for a loooong time but was able to put them down.

My suggestion for you is to join a gym....right away......like today, lol.

Getting active there during your time off will really help. Bikes, treadmills, rowing machines, stairs and etc have a way of releasing endorphins that will have you feeling enthused and happy and your cravings for smoking, eating and drinking will be diminished.....I assure you.

You'll also be burning calories and amplifying the weight loss.

You'll be surrounded by motivated souls who are in there to get themselves in better shape, too. Being around them is very positive.

Ok!! Deeveg!! Wasn't referring to drinking smoking and eating every minute of every day it was hypothetical and referring to these are the things I enjoy doing in my free time!! Obviously they were bad things that put me in the situation that caused me to be on this forum! We're all in this together and sarcasm can be left out!! And I understand that quitting smoking quitting drinking and quitting eating unhealthy is going to be a lifelong change not just for two weeks! I was referring to the two-week pre-op diet that I'm only allowed to have liquid on is a struggle but the hardest part of that two-week struggle was more of cigarettes then of food! So yeah I will pat myself on the back because I have accomplished more than I have in the last 30 days than I have in the last 10 years, so I thought a little offended by your first portion of your comments!

Although I do appreciate the middle and last half of your suggestions and mind set to move forward on quitting smoking! I am looking for suggestions of what to do with myself now that I have taken away the three things I enjoy doing that were killing my body!

HW 270

CW 258

Surgery date 1/25/17

@@julia454 Please don't be offended. Everything I wrote was a heartfelt expression of joy from me to you. I meant to be supportive and congratulate you on the awesome work you have done. Quitting all 3 things at once is a huge undertaking and I was trying to let you know how much I admired you for it. Nothing was intended as sarcasm.

I have done a lot of reading on cognitive behavior therapy and patting ourselves on the back is an important part of behavior change. Every day, I make myself take a moment and think of a success that I had that day and be proud. Maybe I should have used a different phrase - I can see how that may have sounded like sarcasm.

:)

Ok!! Deeveg!! Wasn't referring to drinking smoking and eating every minute of every day it was hypothetical and referring to these are the things I enjoy doing in my free time!! Obviously they were bad things that put me in the situation that caused me to be on this forum! We're all in this together and sarcasm can be left out!! And I understand that quitting smoking quitting drinking and quitting eating unhealthy is going to be a lifelong change not just for two weeks! I was referring to the two-week pre-op diet that I'm only allowed to have liquid on is a struggle but the hardest part of that two-week struggle was more of cigarettes then of food! So yeah I will pat myself on the back because I have accomplished more than I have in the last 30 days than I have in the last 10 years, so I thought a little offended by your first portion of your comments!

Although I do appreciate the middle and last half of your suggestions and mind set to move forward on quitting smoking! I am looking for suggestions of what to do with myself now that I have taken away the three things I enjoy doing that were killing my body!

HW 270

CW 258

Surgery date 1/25/17

I'm pretty sure she meant you should pat yourself on the back every minute of everyday hun!!!...you are doing a great job and should be very proud of yourself!!!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the BariatricPal App

How about a gym membership? It's never too soon to get started, even just walking on the treadmill indoors while it's freezing out. How about window shopping for all the fabulous clothes you'll be wearing this summer? [emoji4]

Agree with the gym membership. I learned to crochet when I quit smoking....also did puzzles (left them out and would get up and go work on them while I had cravings). Check out meetup.com and see if there are any hobbies and groups you can find in your area.....I'm retired and facing the same issues....single, 48, need a life....lol.

Meanwhile, writing this post just helped me to decide to go to the gym instead of nap....as in, like now!!! Habits are hard to break. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

In preparation for my WLS, I quit smoking & went to vaping in November and gave up soda in December. It's been hard for sure. I don't have a gym nearby that I can afford to join, so I've been trying to find new hobbies... reading, scrapbooking, adult coloring books, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I went cold turkey on cigarettes about four years ago, I'm now an expert knitter. Keeps your hands busy and mind off food.

Fridge Pickers Wear Bigger Knickers ????

Happy hour fridays , dinner and drinks out Saturday and company over on Sunday with wine and Snacks, BBQ s , parties, etc.. that was pretty much my life over a year ago.

My life for the past year: I joined a gym , I take all sorts of different classes, when I'm not at the gym I will walk and walk and walk. My house is always spotless and when I'm not cleaning, I'm reading or coloring in my adult coloring books. I also enjoy walking around the malls , trying on tons of new clothes.

It's not easy, I still think about smoking every day, not so much food anymore, and although I am in touch with my old "party friends " I now hang out with my fit and healthy friends.

I was so scared about starting back smoking again that I avoided alcohol. coffee and excercize helped me quit also. I ended up losing a significant amount of weight about 20 lbs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

This was my day to day life for years! I loved to meet the girls out for some margaritas and wine, few beers by the pool and fire pit! Barbecue grilling and restaurant dining!! For the past six months I've been struggling with the smoking part and well the drinking and eating! I am smoke and alcohol free for now 30 days alcohol hasn't been a problem but the smoking is an extreme addiction! I think I want a cigarette more than I want food being in my two week liquid only diet! The main question for everybody is what do with myself now that drinking smoking and food are no longer a part of my life! During work is fine but my weekends are killers, i've been hiding in my bedroom all weekend too afraid to leave the house to fall back into bad habits! I am single and 40 and I live in Wisconsin with temperatures at freezing! I need to find a new hobby or something to do with myself anybody have any suggestions!!!

i know what you mean Julia, I gave up the smokes too a few months ago and still get wicked cravings! For me, when I ghetto the urge, I will go for a walk or drink some Water with Mio flavoring. It has worked to take away the edge. I was chewing gum, but my doc said no gum after surgery, so had to stop that.

I'd be curious to hear some things you have started to help . I will say, I don't crave as much anymore, but every now and then it is tough.

Keep it up though, you'll be thankful long term. YOU GOT THIS!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App