Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you are Traveling South this Winter...

My DH and I are traveling south for a vacation to CUBA. WE are planning late October.

So I have been checking prices, cancelation ins. etc.

I called Manulife regarding the Trip Cancellation Ins. as there is an exclusion of coverage if you have any "Pre-existing Medical Condition" in the prior 90 days.

I had my surg on July 11th so I wanted to know that I would not be excluded if i traveled Oct 20th.. a little over 3 months. Well surgery went fine, but here's the hitch.

Because its an ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND and we need ongoing medical intervention ie. the Saline Fills by needle... that DISQUALIFIES you from the coverage IF you were to have something medical happen to you while traveling that could be related to your stomach or band or swelling and emergency de-fill etc.

In other words to meet THEIR requirements you would have NOT had a fill in the last 3 months before traveling ....

I am so pissed off... a saline injection??? That's considered a medical treatment by them... so that they can wiggle out of giving you the benefits of insurance.

I am REALLY glad I phoned and asked PRIOR to booking my trip and paying for cancellation/interuption insurance... what a rip off. :omg:

I'll just travel with out it.

Thought you'd all like to know

Insurance companies are weasels and will try to get out of anything.

Maybe try your credit card that you are booking the trip with. Many of them have trip cancellation insurance built into the card. I know the Avion card does.

Andrew

Wow Peaches, that really sucks. :car:

I'm planning a trip to Panama in January and was going to go for a small defill just after Christmas. Maybe I'll just stick with the fill I've got and avoid the whole "pre-existing condition" question.

Better to not be able to pig out :hungry: than to not have medical coverage...just in case.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Wow Peaches, thank you for telling us this! We are planning to go to Jamaica in February and I am a little concerned about any problems I may have with the band when I'm down there.

Peaches,

I am a little confused. You were talking about trip cancellation insurance right? Not medical insurance. I would think you would still want to have medical insurance, even if it does not cover the band or de-fills, but any other non-related illness or injury. Some of the horror stories you here about people without insurance getting injured or sick just scares me when I leave this country.

I hope you have a great trip.:car: That's me green with envy.:rolleyes