Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia repair with sleeve

I had a slight hiatal hernia repaired with my sleeve. I suspect it wasn't serious but just want to know the repair makes a difference in the entire experience.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

My doctor said repairing even a small hiatal hernia during the sleeve operation can cut down on chances you'll suffer GERD after and that not all surgeons take the time to look for the small ones. Sounds like you got a careful surgeon!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor said repairing even a small hiatal hernia during the sleeve operation can cut down on chances you'll suffer GERD after and that not all surgeons take the time to look for the small ones. Sounds like you got a careful surgeon!

Thanks!

Nirmal Jayaseelan is my surgeon. He comes highly recommended and rated.

I'm feeling pretty good just looking for any input on that little detail.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm so jealous (in the nicest possible way) you're done! What a great way to start the new year. I'm waiting for my date.

I had hiatal hernia repair, gall bladder removal and sleeve. I had gerd before surgery. I have had no complications. 15 days post op. I do notice at night when I lay down I don't feel acid in my throat any more. It is a good thing doc repaired it. I am told that as you lose weight the hiatal can get more loose!!

I had hiatal hernia repair, gall bladder removal and sleeve. I had gerd before surgery. I have had no complications. 15 days post op. I do notice at night when I lay down I don't feel acid in my throat any more. It is a good thing doc repaired it. I am told that as you lose weight the hiatal can get more loose!!

what do you mean get loose?

Sent from my iPhone

So repairing the hernia is tightening it up. Reducing the stomach from pushing up thru the diaphragm. As you lose weight my doc said the tightening can loosen up and could need to be tightened again