Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fun question about weight loss challenge

Im 2.5 weeks post op sleeve. Middle of January my company will do a "biggest loser competition" Winner wins $1,000. I want to do it mostly as motivation to keep me going, but I'm afraid some ppl may think I have an upper hand. Just curious on people's input.

Thanks all.

Hmmm, interesting question. I'd review the rules and if there's no ban on WLS then go for it. You'll be eating correctly and exercising, just like the other participants.

I say do it! It'll be further motivation!

Honestly I do think you have an upper hand and it isn't fair for you to compete. If it weren't easier to lose weight with weight loss surgery, none of us would have had the surgery. It's like showing up to a bird watching competition where everyone else has to use their naked eyes and you have a high powered set of binoculars.

I would say, participate but make it clear to the organizers that if you win you want to bow out and have the next person get the prize.

Honestly I do think you have an upper hand and it isn't fair for you to compete. If it weren't easier to lose weight with weight loss surgery, none of us would have had the surgery. It's like showing up to a bird watching competition where everyone else has to use their naked eyes and you have a high powered set of binoculars.

I would say, participate but make it clear to the organizers that if you win you want to bow out and have the next person get the prize.

I disagree. The reason I had WLS is because I could not lose weight the "traditional" way. If I could, I never would have done something so extreme as to cut out one of my organs.

For me, a more fitting analogy would be participating in a bird watching competition where everyone had 20/20 vision but I had nearsightedness.

Edited by White Sale

I see pros and cons to you participating. Ask the people that run the program and see what they say. You have an advantage to lose faster post op and that might make for very upset participants. You also want to do something to make yourself feel good and this is great motivation. Ask for the rules, ask others participating. .

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using the BariatricPal App

Personally I would feel cheated if someone who had wls were in the competition. I do feel you have the upper hand and it's likely there will be hard feelings. I don't think it's worth it to join in on that. Just focus on your own personal weight loss without getting involved in that. Less negativity the better when it comes to work life. It's just not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you participate, there will likely be some people who feel it's not fair, and some who don't mind just like we see with these answers.

Based solely on the fact that it's a contest with people you work with, I wouldn't compete for the money. I try to avoid work drama at all costs.

I do like @@Bufflehead's idea of asking to participate without the money prize though just to give you a goal to aim for (and a rabbit for the other weight loss greyhounds to chase!).

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Let me clear something up. I work for a company that employs over 1,000 + employees. The 12 people in my department are the only ones that I know and have told about my procedure.

@@Bufflehead is on to something and I'd like to suggest a variation. Certainly participate for your own benefit and the fun and possibly for the benefit of the larger world. Propose up front that, if you win, the $1000 be donated to charity, perhaps one that works in the area of children's health or medical research of some sort. Let the company make the donation directly to the charity of your choice so that you don't appear to be angling for the tax deduction.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@Bufflehead is on to something and I'd like to suggest a variation. Certainly participate for your own benefit and the fun and possibly for the benefit of the larger world. Propose up front that, if you win, the $1000 be donated to charity, perhaps one that works in the area of children's health or medical research of some sort. Let the company make the donation directly to the charity of your choice so that you don't appear to be angling for the tax deduction.

or donate half to charity and give half to the 2nd place person.

Put the $1000 towards the cost you had to pay to get it done or buy clothes you'll be needing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I like the way you think :) plus im poor shit give to charity? I am the charity case.