Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post-OP & Nutritionist Visit

So I had my first Post-op today with the doctor and all looked good!

I also had my first post-op visit with the nutritionist and wanted to share it with all of you.

In preparation for being advanced to the phase II, I pulled out my list and started making pureed foods last night so that I can start today. WELL...... she said NO chicken or turkey for 3 more weeks. She said that chicken and turkey are very hard to digest and our stomachs are not ready yet. I'm allowed yogurt, baby food, cream Soups, fat free pudding, etc. I'm glad I didn't dive in last night. LOL

She also said absolutely NO carbs such as Pasta, rice or bread because those expand in the stomach and can burst through a staple which takes up to 6 weeks to heal.

Lastly, she said I can get creative with my shakes by adding frozen fruit to them or even Decaf coffee or flavored syrups. No Peanut Butter yet.

The most important thing I took out of our meeting was when she said "shakes are still a priority, only supplement with the food if you can fit it. Right now, the Protein you put in your body is key". I couldn't look forward to start eating but I realize now that we still need the protein.

You read so many different things on here regarding restrictions, diets and what is allowed I just think we should all follow the advise of our specific doctor and staff. They are the ones monitoring you and are the ones that can best suggest alternatives.

You read so many different things on here regarding restrictions, diets and what is allowed I just think we should all follow the advise of our specific doctor and staff. They are the ones monitoring you and are the ones that can best suggest alternatives.

Absolutely. While other research and experience is always good to have, your surgeon and team are the ones who know you as a patient. Their recommendations/orders should (almost) always trump anything you hear/read from other sources. I say (almost) because as a nurse I have run across the rare occasion where a doctor is just spouting crazy talk and should probably retire. But 99% of the time, your doctor should be the final word on anything regarding your health, and certainly over anything on the internet. If you do have concerns about a doctor's recommendations, you should be seeking a second opinion from another doc. :)