Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance change and 6 month post-op NOT covered!

Hi Guys,

I was sleeved on 5/10/16 & I'm almost in wonderland!!! Things are going really well...THANK GOD! I have a small situation, my family's Insurance has recently changed from BCBS to UHC and our particular plan does NOT cover anything related to Bariatric Procedures/Visits. It only matters because it was time for my 6month post-op check-up (delayed due to work schedule and doctors office schedule,etc.)!

So what do you guys suggest. Thankfully, I called my insurance company to check and make sure my follow-up is covered.

So what is typically done at a 6-month post-op other than checking my weight and ensuring I'm on track with my weightloss?

I had my physical with my primary care physician a few days before 6 month post op date and I'm still well and healthy.

Help me out sleevers...

:)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My bcbs covered my surgery fees, except some out of pocket.

But my fee included the surgery, hospital, post op apps at 2 weeks, 2 and 6 month and 1 year. Plus 12 nutritionist appts within a year. When I go in for these follow ups, I'm not charged, nor do I get anything from bcbs.

I am staying with bcbs but changing from my husbands coverage to my own. I'm 4.5 months out. I'm not expecting this to be an issue since the surgeons bill has bent paid already and all appts should be covered for a year.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

You need to get your Vitamin and mineral levels checked -- your PCP should be able to order it as part of your regular labs.

All my post op appts are included for a year which means insurance isn't even filed for them nor do I have to make a co pay. If that is not the case for you, seems like you should be covered under pre-existing conditions. Ask UHC about that. Outside of that, your pcp can do blood work for you that should be covered as part of annual checkup.

Ok, great. So pre-existing may work for UHC now that you mention it. All of my blood work, lab work was done and all appeared to be WELL! BCBS has been billed and paid for the surgery that was in May, however all of my treatments weren't grouped together for an extended amount of time. I'll investigate more!

Thanks!!!!