Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is weight loss a one size fits all scenario here? Different goals call for different approach

@@Tootsietoes

Are we all adult's here? I have no Idea why I'm even responding..

The goal healthy. Whatever that may look like for each of us.

You asked..."Does it bother you that someone could choose to get the surgery based on the idea that Portion Control, not food, is what makes you fat?"

Never bothered me. I'm not here to rescue anyone. Good luck to a person that ate all their meals as cheese cake. Restriction alone is not a one size fits all. Your food choice will effect your outcome.

I see - People looking for permission to go back to old behaviors. As long as they are happy..... that's fine. You are happy with your outcome right?

Others are not so happy with weight gain. Some come here to get back on track. I would never tell them to eat what ever they want and all will be fine. That's just me... ;)

The majority here are new. I will direct them to proven best practices.(Their program)

Not a one size fits all. Off the top of my head. You will see a program changes with people with health issues, complications, above average fitness levels, mobility issues and maintenance ... I'm sure their are more reasons.

Thanks for replying. Are you maintaining your weight? Do you exercise often? Did anyone tell you that you could never eat Pasta, fried foods, bread and other taste good food. I can't believe you can't eat salad. I love salad.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

yes I am maintaining the weight, the best thing about never being 'on the wagon' is that I never had the moment of 'oh crap I started eating carbs and gaining!' I was too weak and sick the first year to get a regular exercise routine, I couldn't handle the decreased food AND exercise, I didn't want to throw off my metabolism either. I didn't want to put my body in starvation mode. I wasn't a couch potato either, I had a full time job and a dog to walk. I have to say it worked for me, I dropped 60 lbs in under a year, I only had 60 to lose to begin with, 132 was my lowest weight, but I am good and steady at 135-138.

@Sait if you have not seen people getting attacked, you have not been here long enough!

@@mrsNilla my starting weight was 200. I did not have much to lose. I do not wish to do damage to people that are following the plan, that's great. But some are discouraged from wls because they do not want to change their eating. I do think one can achieve good results with or without surgery if they focus on portion seizes. Post op, I am still surprised with how much food people are served in restaurants, even kids meals are shocking. The French don't get fat, and they eat bread, cheese, and pastries. The secret? Portion size. I guess you could say I am living the French way of life in a very fat America.

@@jenn1 yes Jen I eat cheesecake all day everyday, every meal....(sarcasm) I had a wonderful Snacks of cheesecake and coffee on a cruise vacation , and I didn't need to come to the forum and freak out about how I lived like a normal person on vacation would. Sheesh. Called life and a little splurge. Though I do have some in the fridge from neighbors, Christmas is a sabotage in itself.

@@jenn1 also did you ever think that people are gaining weight because they crash dieted and wrecked their metabolism from the start? Have you ever heard about yo-yo dieting? Have you ever heard about smaller portion sizes? Putting WLS aside, and the fact I wasn't morbidly obese to begin with, I don't think moderation is that crazy of an idea

@@jenn1 also did you ever think that people are gaining weight because they crash dieted and wrecked their metabolism from the start? Have you ever heard about yo-yo dieting? Have you ever heard about smaller portion sizes? Putting WLS aside, and the fact I wasn't morbidly obese to begin with, I don't think moderation is that crazy of an idea

Where did @@jenn1 say that moderation is a crazy idea? You keep setting up strawmen and fighting with them while blaming it on 'others'. Jenn1 CLEARLY said if what you're doing is working for you and you're happy with it, then good on you. You're being rude and snarky for absolutely no reason..."have you ever heard about yo-yo dieting? Have you ever heard about smaller portion sizes?". What is the point of all this, except to fight?

@@Tootsietoes

I'm really confused as to what your agenda is here.

Tilting at windmills, me thinks.

@@Tootsietoes

I'm really confused as to what your agenda is here.

I'm confused as well. And worried someone brand new here will go with this mindset and do harm to themselves. I am a smaller BMI but do not agree with your train of thought. I take this very seriously as well as my Drs orders! Just my 2¢

Sent from my Y538 using the BariatricPal App

@@LipstickLady my agenda? Not make people feel bad for getting WLS and wanting to keep the same diet, I keep trying to talk my parents into it as I see them lose ton of weight with strict diets, only to gain it all back 6mo later. It's sad I had it so easy, everyone should have this opportunity to lose excess weight. Th

@@Jazzzyjay great, please listen to your doctor! Please I am not a doctor, I am not giving medical advice, we are all adults here, take my story with a grain of salt

@@LipstickLady my agenda? Not make people feel bad for getting WLS and wanting to keep the same diet, I keep trying to talk my parents into it as I see them lose ton of weight with strict diets, only to gain it all back 6mo later. It's sad I had it so easy, everyone should have this opportunity to lose excess weight. Th

Where is anyone making someone feel bad about surgery? "Bugle girl", as you called her, (she has a name, btw...) was eating bugles less than two weeks out.

That was the only issue. She was still on mushies.

I don't care what diet anyone follows but, yes. I will encourage someone to follow the diet PRESCRIBED by their surgeon 100% of the time. If they choose not to, that's on them, but I won't validate bad decisions.

I agree. Everyone should have the opportunity to have this surgery IF they are emotionally and mentally ready for it. ;)

guys i dont want to discourage anyone, long term studies have shown a healthy diet and lifestyle changes are the key to successful longterm weight-loss. thats a better mindset and goals that i need to work on, maybe i need to start following people that are doing it right, I am not

guys i dont want to discourage anyone, long term studies have shown a healthy diet and lifestyle changes are the key to successful longterm weight-loss. thats a better mindset and goals that i need to work on, maybe i need to start following people that are doing it right, I am not

Huh? I thought your way was working for you? I'm so confused. I'm out. I don't have time for games...

Thanks for replying. Are you maintaining your weight? Do you exercise often? Did anyone tell you that you could never eat Pasta, fried foods, bread and other taste good food. I can't believe you can't eat salad. I love salad. Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

yes I am maintaining the weight, the best thing about never being 'on the wagon' is that I never had the moment of 'oh crap I started eating carbs and gaining!' I was too weak and sick the first year to get a regular exercise routine, I couldn't handle the decreased food AND exercise, I didn't want to throw off my metabolism either. I didn't want to put my body in starvation mode. I wasn't a couch potato either, I had a full time job and a dog to walk. I have to say it worked for me, I dropped 60 lbs in under a year, I only had 60 to lose to begin with, 132 was my lowest weight, but I am good and steady at 135-138.

@@mrsNilla my starting weight was 200. I did not have much to lose. I do not wish to do damage to people that are following the plan, that's great. But some are discouraged from wls because they do not want to change their eating. I do think one can achieve good results with or without surgery if they focus on portion seizes. Post op, I am still surprised with how much food people are served in restaurants, even kids meals are shocking. The French don't get fat, and they eat bread, cheese, and pastries. The secret? Portion size. I guess you could say I am living the French way of life in a very fat America.

@@jenn1 yes Jen I eat cheesecake all day everyday, every meal....(sarcasm) I had a wonderful Snacks of cheesecake and coffee on a cruise vacation , and I didn't need to come to the forum and freak out about how I lived like a normal person on vacation would. Sheesh. Called life and a little splurge. Though I do have some in the fridge from neighbors, Christmas is a sabotage in itself.

??