Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. First post here. I'm one month away from my scheduled surgery and getting nervous. I just told my teenagers that I'm scheduled for surgery and they don't want me to have it. They want me to lose the weight the "right" way w diet and exercise. I am 75 lbs overweight and now this has cast doubt on my plans. I'm still planning, but want to see if anyone else has feedback on this....I'm single mom w diabetes, and high cholesterol and want to be healthier. They are worried I won't be able to change my habits after surgery and will gain weight back anyways.Ugh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Hello. First post here. I'm one month away from my scheduled surgery and getting nervous. I just told my teenagers that I'm scheduled for surgery and they don't want me to have it. They want me to lose the weight the "right" way w diet and exercise. I am 75 lbs overweight and now this has cast doubt on my plans. I'm still planning, but want to see if anyone else has feedback on this....I'm single mom w diabetes, and high cholesterol and want to be healthier. They are worried I won't be able to change my habits after surgery and will gain weight back anyways.Ugh.

Do they want you around when they get married and have children? Explain to them that diabetes you could lose a limb or eye sight.. With cholesterol a heart attack. Knee replacement due to excessive weight. You will move better.

If they live with you, have them make sure only healthy foods are in the house.

I am 61 years old and have had complete knee replacements on both knees. I have arthritis in my right foot. My right hip is starting to bother me. This is why I am going to have this surgery. Also I have the same as you. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high Triglycerides.

Let them know you want to be around longer and healthier.

This a decision is yours.

Cocoon to Butterfly

Thanks. I am 54 and have struggled for 20 years w my weight. My siblings are all in shape without health issues and I keep wondering how I got here. Plus I love anything w carbs. My teenagers, two boys and daughter 19, 17, 15..all healthy and not overweight. I am getting the sleeve and want to feel determined not worried. Ty for responses.

You know, I've struggled with whether or not to do this, too. But if I could have lost this weight the so-called "right way", I wouldn't be here. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of this tool to help yourself.

Thanks. I agree and have had my mind set, and just didn't expect the response from my kids. They are worried too that something could happen during surgery. I chose the sleeve instead of bypass as I believe this is best. Anyone want to comment on why they chose sleeve over bypass? Ty to all. My nerves are settling.

I am also about a month away from surgery. I prepaid and got my plane tickets early. I didn't want to get cold feet. I am excited but also very nervous about the work I know I need to do concerning my relationship with food. I think it will be a hard transition but i am determined to be successful. I want to be healthy and have less pain.

Just curious @"mollymckim", are there restrictions on how soon after surgery that you can fly? I am having my sleeve surgery on Jan. 4th, do you have to do a pre op diet @"Cocoon2Butterfly ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just curious @"mollymckim", are there restrictions on how soon after surgery that you can fly? I am having my sleeve surgery on Jan. 4th, do you have to do a pre op diet @"Cocoon2Butterfly ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Two days before surgery. I was just given my instructions yesterday.

Cocoon to Butterfly