Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5.5 weeks post op, 1st week of "new normal." As far as eating goes, I'm only able to eat a very small amount. For instance one egg fills me up or for one meal I had 1.2 oz of meat. So I think I'm full because I start feeling very gassy (belching). But then I'm hungry about an hour later and I don't think I'm getting enough food in (maybe 500 calories per day). Did others go through this? Also, is it Normal to belch a ton after eating, even small amounts? Or is that a sign the food doesn't agree with me? Everything is causing me to belch a ton, even my Protein Drinks so I'm having a hard time gauging it. How should I deal with this wanting to eat small meals through the day? It's impossible to do that and get my fluids in. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You will have to work out if your hunger is in your body or your head. When find myself wandering around the kitchen looking for something to eat I ask myself if I want 2oz of tuna salad and 4 low fat whole grain crackers...usually I don't which means that I am not hungry...

I belch if I eat too much or to fast, but mention this to your Dr.

If you are getting enough Protein and your plan allows you can add carbs to your meals. I do 3:1 protein:carbs most days I eat three meals but sometimes (especially if I end up being at work at my 8 hour job for 1+ hours) I have a snack.< /p>

If you graze you are going to have an even harder time getting your clear fluids in.

Completely normal, belching just isn't cute but I do a bunch of it! My surgery was Nov. 18, 2016 and I eat about every 2 hours and get around 700 calories on average. I don't know how I get my fluids in but I do manage to do it. I drink all day though and it does take effort.

My instructions were to eat slowly over a 30 minute time window. It is hard to stretch it out, but when I do, I can eat more which is a good thing. May be worth eating slower.

I am at the same place as you (my sleeve was done on Nov. 7th), so I am just starting on a "regular" diet and testing the waters. I know I'm eating no more than 1/4-1/2 cup of food at a meal but I feel like I'm swallowing air and I get a huge knot in my stomach from the gas build up that, unfortunately, is NOT releasing with a burp. Water makes me feel that way, Protein drinks make me feel that way, food...makes me feel that way. All of that finally culminated in so much discomfort and continual nausea from not being able to get the gas out of my little pouch that I finally called my surgeon's office today and got prescriptions for nausea and for gas relief. I feel like I'm taking small enough bites and chewing well but it still happens with any type of food or drink and it's very frustrating. Hopefully this is another phase that we just have to get through, fingers crossed!!

I'm 5.5 weeks post op, 1st week of "new normal." As far as eating goes, I'm only able to eat a very small amount. For instance one egg fills me up or for one meal I had 1.2 oz of meat. So I think I'm full because I start feeling very gassy (belching). But then I'm hungry about an hour later and I don't think I'm getting enough food in (maybe 500 calories per day). Did others go through this? Also, is it Normal to belch a ton after eating, even small amounts? Or is that a sign the food doesn't agree with me? Everything is causing me to belch a ton, even my Protein drinks so I'm having a hard time gauging it. How should I deal with this wanting to eat small meals through the day? It's impossible to do that and get my fluids in. TIA.

Are you drinking Protein supplements between meals? Also..I'm almost 4 weeks out and I have the same issue..lots of burping. I am trying to eat a lot slower to see if it helps..

At 5 weeks out this is all in the range of normal. 500 calories a day is fine as hitting your liquid and Protein goals, add a shake if you need to. Your ability to eat more will come in time; you are just barely starting post op life don't rush it.