Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removal? Why?

I spoke with a lady recently who had her band removed when she reached her goal. I've read of others who had the fill completely removed at goal. Is that what folks typically do? Is it to stop losing or is the band uncomfortable? Does it deteriorate? I thought it was supposed to remain in place for life. I'd be very concerned I'd gain all my weight back. Thanks for any input.

Jim

I have no plan on having the band removed or my fill removed either for that matter. Why set myself up for failure? I guess it is to each his own....but, I know my limitations and I would leave it just as it is. Why ruin a good thing? Best of luck!

Guest ZenGarden

I've struggled with my weight since I was age four and I decided when I got banded that I am NEVER having mine removed. I know how hard it was to stay in control without it, and I would never risk that again.

Jim, you have to be crazy to want your band out when you lose all your weight. The potential to gain it all back is very high. I maintain at about 2.5ccs. She is nuts. Don't remove your band. It is there for a lifetime.

If I had my band removed, I think it would be like the whole yo-yo dieting. If it's not there to keep me in check, it'll all come back.

So.. once I reach goal, I plan on keeping it there, and filled if need be. I have a while to go till I decide what to do there... but I know for sure I'm not taking it out!

I spoke with a lady recently who had her band removed when she reached her goal. I've read of others who had the fill completely removed at goal. Is that what folks typically do? Is it to stop losing or is the band uncomfortable? Does it deteriorate? I thought it was supposed to remain in place for life. I'd be very concerned I'd gain all my weight back. Thanks for any input.

Jim

I think most people opt to keep their band. The compulsion to over eat doesn't go away with weight loss. I think I would really struggle to maintain if I didn't have my band. I'm okay with verrrry small fills, I don't have a sweet spot as most would think of a sweet spot. As long as I can't eat bread I'm pretty well good to go.

Stats for weight gain after losing the band are pretty high. People who erode, have a huge slip that can't be repaired, those kinds of folks. When they lost their band they have a really tough time not regaining.

Jim

I think the regain percentage is in the high 90th percentile.

I do not plan on EVER having mine removed.

Somebody would have to tie me down to take mine away! I recently had to have it temporarily emptied to have surgery and got a real good reminder of what life without restriction is like. It was miserable and I had to struggle to maintain my weight those 5 weeks. I am sooo happy to have it back. Can't image why anyone would do that to themselves.

Unless something goes wrong (slipage, erosion, ect) there's no reason why your band should be removed. Once you reach your goal you still have to work hard to keep it, if you remove the band your stomach will immediately tend to go back to what it used to be and consequently you will start over eating again and regaining weight.

niki

I've struggled with my weight since I was age four and I decided when I got banded that I am NEVER having mine removed. I know how hard it was to stay in control without it, and I would never risk that again.

Ditto! It's as if I had written this myself.