Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

B.C. Bandsters..

Hi Ladies :tongue_smilie:

I'm so glad to see new Bandsters (and soon-to-be Bandsters) !!! Your enthusiasm and excitement is contagious....and something oldies like myself need to see !!!

I'm glad to see your feeling so well Outrageous. The first couple of weeks can be tough, but always remember that your stomach needs this time to heal and in the long run, a few weeks of liquids and mush are well worth it !!!

We will be having a meeting in May in North Vancouver. I'm sorry it's not closer to you but hopefully you can take the time to join us. With the longer days it is going to be easier for me to travel down for it (I live north of Whistler so it takes me a couple of hours to get there). So the meeting will be Wednesday, May 21st at Lions Gate Hospital in Conference Room C (just off the main lobby). Officially it's marked for 7pm but I'm usually there and having a coffee by about 6.30pm.

If you would like to email me I can add you to my mailing list, that way you will get my little 'reminder mail' a day or 2 in advance. My address is canadagirl33@hotmail.com

Congrats on joining us Bandsters and all the best on your journey !!!!

Patricia

11/16/06

306/202/175ish

If you go privately for the band, you don't need a referral. To answer your questions. BC Medical does not cover the band.

Two doctors (that I know of) do the band in Vancouver.

1. Dr. Leung

2. Dr. R. Woodhead.

Dr. Leung is loved by some and hated by others. He can make some pretty stern remarks and talks down to you. If you are sensitive go to Dr. Woodhead. Dr. Woodhead is young and very sensitive to your needs. He listens. Dr. Leung cracks the whip so it is whichever type of personality you have is the decision maker. Both doctors are great surgeons, but it is the after care that you must take care with. Remember, this surgeon will probably be with your for the rest of your life (providing they don't move away).

Dr. Leung is talking retirement and Dr. Woodhead is young. I know of patients that have the band put on by Dr. Woodhead and they really like him.

As for me, I went to TLBC before I knew about Dr. Woodhead. He does my fills for me. He charged me $400.00 consult and $80.00 per fill. I have only had two fills and feel I am at my sweet spot at this time 5.5 ccs but he still asks to see me on a regular basis.

Hope this information helps. :w00t:

Just a quick post to tell you the good news!

Dr Cobourn is coming to Fort St John at the end of May to train my doctor, Dr Du Preez, how to do fills!

There will finally be someone in Northern BC who can do them!

:lol::w00t::w00t:

Just a quick post to tell you the good news!

Dr Cobourn is coming to Fort St John at the end of May to train my doctor, Dr Du Preez, how to do fills!

There will finally be someone in Northern BC who can do them!

:lol::w00t::w00t:

yay, that's great news :yesnod:

Hi there and congrats on the weight loss honey!

My daughter was informed that the only place in Canada to get the lap band procedure done was in Mississagua (sp?) Ontario. Where did you say these two doctors were again? I would really appreciate getting the number of both, if that's allowed. Please privately e-mail me at piano1@telus.net and I will let my 33-year-old daughter know that she wouldn't have to go all the way to Ontario for three days to have this done. I'm worried about her health. She has really put it on since being in a very high position at work (not married, etc.......a business woman). She doesn't have the time to join a gym and things like that because she is basically on call 24/7. She will book off time to have this done though if she can find something near Mommy (me in Abbotsford...lower mainland) or even where she lives just outside of Calgary. It seemed kind of fishy to me that the doc in Ontario that she found said they were the only ones in Canada that did this procedure.

Thanks for any help (asap) before she makes any plans to go to Ontario.

Hugz

Judy (a concerned mom) :lol:

Hi there and congrats on the weight loss honey!

My daughter was informed that the only place in Canada to get the lap band procedure done was in Mississagua (sp?) Ontario. Where did you say these two doctors were again? I would really appreciate getting the number of both, if that's allowed. Please privately e-mail me at piano1@telus.net and I will let my 33-year-old daughter know that she wouldn't have to go all the way to Ontario for three days to have this done. I'm worried about her health. She has really put it on since being in a very high position at work (not married, etc.......a business woman). She doesn't have the time to join a gym and things like that because she is basically on call 24/7. She will book off time to have this done though if she can find something near Mommy (me in Abbotsford...lower mainland) or even where she lives just outside of Calgary. It seemed kind of fishy to me that the doc in Ontario that she found said they were the only ones in Canada that did this procedure.

Thanks for any help (asap) before she makes any plans to go to Ontario.

Hugz

Judy (a concerned mom) :lol:

Hi Judy,

I sent you an email to your email address you posted :w00t:

I wonder if what the clinic told her was: they were the only ones in Canada .....who could arrange for her to get aftercare (ie fills) closer to home?

This is something that I know the Mississauga clinic offers. Although the other Toronto clinic, TLBC, is working hard to try to put the same offer of local aftercare in place.

The Mississauga clinic is highly reputable. There must have been some confusion or miscommunication.

Hi: The banding process is not to well known by local GPs. My family GP took down the information I gave him to pass on. He had never heard about Woodhead or Leung doing banding.

The SWL clinic does have a great network of fill nurses/doctors throughout Canada, but frankly I would rather be banded here and have the quick access to my doctor is something went wrong with the band. Although rare, there are problems that can occur such as band slippage (easily repaired), stretching of the pouch, and the most serious band errosion. Improper chewing causing vomiting on is one cause of band erosion.

I would like to tell you daughter that the band is not a magic wand. She will still have to work at losing weight. Proper nutrition, exercise and following the the rules of eating. The band is a tool only. It prevents you from overeating and keeps the feeling of fullness longer and it is great for keeping the weight off which is the problem most of us have suffered. We can lose weight easily it is keeping it off that is the problem. I have contacted you via my private e mail. If you wish further information feel free to contact me. Doddie

I was told that the BC College would not allow bands but things may have changed. Can't wait to find out. doddie

I can't believe the College would stop allowing bands to be done in BC without showing evidence of it being an unnecessarily dangerous procedure.

Devana I would be thrilled if you are right. I do know there is some discussion on family doctors doing fills and defills without proper training. If you hear the College is not opposed to bands and/or fills, please post so that other BCers hoping for surgery don't have to go further away. Doddie

Hello, All,

Hubby was banded in Aurora, CO on Dec. 19th by Dr. Kirshenbaum (self-pay $9950 US).

We had some trouble finding a fill provider nearby (we live on Vancouver Island). But, we just went across the border to NW Fill Center and they were GREAT! First visit was $150 US and follow-up visits adjustments are $125 US. :frown:

If anyone needs contact info, please let me know.

He's down 40 lbs. (wow! Easier for men, huh?) and has 60-80 to go.

Judy

Apparently there is a fill nurse from the TLBC who is willing to do fills on patients in BC. Her name is Nancy and she can be reached at the TLBC 1-800-

409-8151 extension 337.

Edit: Sorry...I understand there may be a misunderstanding and this nurse may only be able to do fills on patients from TLBC.

Edited by Lynn42

Would anyone recommend going to Mexico to get the surgery done? I had decided to stay local but there is a HUGH price difference-14000 compared to 8000. How many fills will I rquire on a yearly basis on average? I know I can go to the US and there is talk of a nurse in victoria. If I am going to spend thousands on fills, I should stay local. Any advice?

I am having my surgery with Dr. Woodhead on Aug. 6th...15 days away! I started my pre-op diet on July 19th.

I decided to go local because I do not want the added worry of traveling, finding fill doctors and most importantly worrying about what happens if I have complications. In my opinion the difference in price could easily be eaten away if these other costs are incurred. When all was said and done however, cost was not the deciding factor (and no I don't have alot of money). The deciding factor was my peace of mind - I perceived too many risks with traveling - when it comes to surgery, I have a low risk tolerance. Of course, this is my opinion and based on my risk tolerance. Each person will have to do their own 'risk analysis' to determine what she/he is comfortable with.

Lynn I made a typo in the telephone number. Could you edit your post to show the area code as 409

The correct TLbC number is 1-800-409-8151 Ex. 337

The TLBC fill nurse Nancy advised she would be in Victoria next month and would accept bandsters from other clinics for a fee of course.