Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about three weeks out and really struggling with food aversions.

The idea of eating just about anything makes me want to gag. I can't even take the smell of food. I can swallow fine and keep food down, it's just a matter of trying to find something I can tolerate to WANT to eat. I know I need to eat to get my Protein, but shakes and powders make me gag as well. I'm down to drinking Water all day, with MAYBE two or three bites of food per day.

My NUT said to treat it like a good side effect of the surgery and it will pass eventually, but my energy is tanked and I feel weak when standing or walking.

Any advice? How long does this last?

----------

Surgery date- 11/8/16

HW- 249

SW- 235

CW-213

I hate to tell you but I am 5 weeks out next Monday and I still have extreme food aversion. I don't want to see food or smell food. I don't want to watch people eat. The idea of watching cooking shows makes me want to barf.

For a couple of weeks I was able to get down 2 Premier Protein shakes a day. It took me several hours to drink each one (I would drink a little, put it back in the fridge for a while, drink a little more, etc) I was really working hard to get those 60-70 grams of Protein a day, plus my Water. I could also do some Soup, or maybe a little yogurt, every day.

This past week I added scrambled eggs and was able to get one in most mornings. This morning I am trying oatmeal and only getting a couple of spoonfuls in.

I know how hard it is, I am still tired. So thankful I don't have to work!

My NUT says this will all get better in a few weeks. Next Monday I am cleared to eat anything I want to try and I hope and pray I can add tuna and some other protein sources.

I don't understand people who eat real food a couple of weeks out from surgery at all. Some are allowed to and some are disregarding their surgeon's program but either way I just don't get how they are chocking down the things they eat.

On a side note I have lost almost 30 pounds since surgery. I think having a tight sleeve, food aversion, and starting back slowly just may pay off. But it is HARD. Much harder than I ever thought it would be. I feel hungry but nothing sounds good and even things that do sound good are hard for me to get much down.

I've had it off and on, but not continuously for more than a couple of days. When I don't feel like food, I try to find the least offensive Protein source and eat what I can of that, and focus on fluids that day.

I hate to tell you but I am 5 weeks out next Monday and I still have extreme food aversion. I don't want to see food or smell food. I don't want to watch people eat. The idea of watching cooking shows makes me want to barf.

For a couple of weeks I was able to get down 2 Premier Protein shakes a day. It took me several hours to drink each one (I would drink a little, put it back in the fridge for a while, drink a little more, etc) I was really working hard to get those 60-70 grams of Protein a day, plus my Water. I could also do some Soup, or maybe a little yogurt, every day.

This past week I added scrambled eggs and was able to get one in most mornings. This morning I am trying oatmeal and only getting a couple of spoonfuls in.

I know how hard it is, I am still tired. So thankful I don't have to work!

My NUT says this will all get better in a few weeks. Next Monday I am cleared to eat anything I want to try and I hope and pray I can add tuna and some other protein sources.

I don't understand people who eat real food a couple of weeks out from surgery at all. Some are allowed to and some are disregarding their surgeon's program but either way I just don't get how they are chocking down the things they eat.

On a side note I have lost almost 30 pounds since surgery. I think having a tight sleeve, food aversion, and starting back slowly just may pay off. But it is HARD. Much harder than I ever thought it would be. I feel hungry but nothing sounds good and even things that do sound good are hard for me to get much down.

Exact same situation. The thought of food makes me queasy. My husband fixed the kids chicken for supper and I had to leave the room. I know I need to eat to feel better, but I can't force it or it comes back up. My doctor wants me walking 30 minutes five days a week and I get winded walking around the house doing chores.

----------

Surgery date- 11/8/16

HW- 249

SW- 235

CW-213

Isopure makes a clear Protein Drink -- not milky -- and maybe this would help you? My NUT suggested it pre-surgery, but I haven't had any problems with the milky ones so I didn't give it a try...hopefully it's something that'll pass! Or maybe force yourself just a little bit at a time until you get used to it.

I had a meltdown early on about the exact same thing! Sleeved 9/27. I compared my gag reflex and nausea to being pregnant again. I had a heightened sense of smell that just people's natural body odor made me sick. Animal Proteins (all meat) made me sick, just thinking about it. I went to my NUT several times about this. She said it will all pass and to just eat what will stay down. I thought it would never end. All of a sudden, like a switch it is OVER! I can eat a little more of a portion and eat most foods. It really does stink but it really does pass. Please message me if you need a buddy to get you through.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for posting this thread- I was sleeved 11/14 and am in the exact position. I'm barely eating or drinking right now. I have no interest in either. I'm logging about 100-200 calories a day and feel weak if I walk too long. I know it's bad. I know I need to fix it but am struggling to do so. I met with my Dr for my first post-op check up and told him about it. He suggested going back to the Protein shakes saying it's important to get the Protein in. So I've done that.

I'm in the puréed food stage and have had some mashed potatoes that sit nicely in my stomach. I'm also mashing edamame because they are high in protein and that has given me some energy. I tried tuna the other day but I ate too much too fast and threw it all up. Lesson learned. I'm going to try some more mashed Beans with sour cream and salsa to see if that entices me. But right now it's a struggle to get in much food or Water. I'm still happy I had the surgery, I know this will pass, but I don't like feeling so weak and light headed.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Sloane

I'm 11/14 too and I'm just now trying some purred veggies and pulled chicken. I did well on yogurt and 4 shakes a day but I'm ready to move on. I can't tell if I'm full or there's gas bloating me but I try and stop eating before it's too much. Down 30 lbs so far and I don't see it stopping If I keep this type of diet up.

SW 281

CE 249

I was sleeved on 11/9 and felt the same way. Always nauseous after every Protein shake/powder I put in my mouth. My NUT suggested the flavorless Protein powder called Injury. It can be mixed in anything (including the foods I puree) and I love it! I still have nausea from some foods (mostly dairy) but it's not as bad anymore.

Sent from my SM-G928P using the BariatricPal App

I've had it off and on, but not continuously for more than a couple of days. When I don't feel like food, I try to find the least offensive Protein source and eat what I can of that, and focus on fluids that day.

This is pretty much what I do. On those days I drink Protein shakes and nibble on cheese.

I've had days where absolutely nothing sounds good.

I did experience aversion to food. I wasn't nauseated, but just couldn't stand eating. At about the five week mark I found a couple of things that tasted okay. Then thing started improving and I can eat now. At my worst, yogurt seemed to go down without a problem. I also had Peanut Butter on Melba toast or 1/2 a toasted English muffin. I love milk, so that helped.

Go to Bariatric Choice web site and look at the Bariatric Choice brand Protein concentrate in fruit flavors. There is also a brand Proteinex that is good. I buy the lemon lime and then mix with Water and sugar free Gatorade or propel or sugar free juice. It just mixes up the shakes as well as the food some days. Syntrax is ok but the others are better imo