Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmingly Concerned About Complications Affecting Work

Surgery is tomorrow.

I'm feeling pretty good about it except for work. I'm a freelance graphic designer with regular clients that I work with weekly. Luckily, I work from home but if I have complications that extends my hosptial stay for more than a few days, I'm going to be kind of screwed.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm going to back everything up to my laptop today and take it to the hospital. Yes, my plan is to work while in the hospital if I have to. Hubby is also a graphic designer so I can give him some direction but it won't be easy. Hopefully I'll be lucid enough!

I keep trying to tell myself, "It's happening, I've done everything I can do to insure a positive outcome." I'm a huge proponent of not worry about things outside of my control so this has become quite a mental exercise!

If all goes well, I'll be out tomorrow afternoon and working comfortably at home by Tuesday.

Any advice or commiseration?

*Effecting* Ugh! Is there a way to edit?

@@81Kellogram

Hi there! We have a few things in common- I am also a graphic designer and also from Texas! I had the sleeve surgery on October 3, about 8 weeks ago.

I can understand your concerns. One thing we self contracting designers have in our favor is mobility. I have everything on my laptop and I back it up regularly. When I was admitted to the hospital for surgery, I brought my laptop and my work. In recovery, I was able to do LIGHT work, like emails and some correspondence, and reviewing of some designs. I let most of my regular clients know I would be out of work for a few days. I was back working pretty regularly one week later.

I also work some hours in an office. I attempted to go back to that office one week post op, and could only manage a couple hours then needed to come home and grab a nap. I love having flexibility as my own boss. It really worked out in my favor during recovery.

It's great your husband is also in the field so he can pinch hit for you in a squeeze.

Rest assured, you are going to be fine. Just be sure and follow all your surgeon's directions and don't push it. Get the rest you will need. Your clients will still be there :-)

Best of luck to you!!

I look forward to hearing about your stories and success post op!

Kel

Guess what else? We are the same age! :D

@

Thanks so much for the encouragement! And you know what else? My name is Kelly too! I'm assuming it's yours. Everyone shortens my name to Kel anyway!

@ @The New Kel

Thanks so much for the encouragement! And you know what else? My name is Kelly too! I'm assuming it's yours. Everyone shortens my name to Kel anyway!

Oh god that's too funny! Looks like we were meant to be Bari-buddies!!

Yes my name is Kelly and always go by Kel :)

Are you nervous? Surgery was super easy for me, literally a blink of the eye and I was done. I look forward to your post op posts! Now get to packing, your up to bat!

(Making room on the losers bench for you).

Yes, it's possible you will have to deal with complications, but it's very, very unlikely. Good luck!

Do everything your surgeon tells you to do. It's your job to get in your Protein and Water. You will have less to no complications once you master your intake requirements. Remember sip, sip, sip your Protein drinks and Water. You may have to add flavor to your water in order to get it down.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I'm an IT analyst, so I have work from home capability, thank goodness.

I had the surgery on Wed, had arranged for PTO Wed through Fri, and then worked from home starting the following Monday for a week, then was back in the office 12 days post. I was discharged Thursday around noon, had little pain but was very fatigued until I could move to purees at 14 days post. Had some nausea but no vomiting.

Serious complications can happen, but they are rare. Sounds like you have planned for contingencies and you should be fine. Good luck!!

@@81Kellogram, before you and @@The New Kel ride off toward the horizon, I'd like to say something.

You don't have time to waste on fretting about an extended hospital stay. It will help to tell yourself that you're going in for a broken nail, nothing more. Keep your mind occupied with nothing taxing -- leave something to do just before you head to the hospital. Changing the sheets at the last minute is good idiot work and you'll come back to a crisp bed, always nice and soothing.

(I've been to Texas four or five times. Does that count?)

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@81Kellogram, before you and @@The New Kel ride off toward the horizon, I'd like to say something.

You don't have time to waste on fretting about an extended hospital stay. It will help to tell yourself that you're going in for a broken nail, nothing more. Keep your mind occupied with nothing taxing -- leave something to do just before you head to the hospital. Changing the sheets at the last minute is good idiot work and you'll come back to a crisp bed, always nice and soothing.

(I've been to Texas four or five times. Does that count?)

Great outlook! My recovery was overall pretty easy. And Oooooh I love me some clean crisp sheets!!

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. They're really helping me to stay focused on tomorrow and not the days after.

@The New Kel - I'm mostly anxious to get this show on the road. I see you're in El Paso - the one large Texas city I've never been!

@ - I tend to be pragmatic, so looking at all scenarios is just something I do. But I've done everything I can think of to prepare for the unknown and, you're right, now it's time to stop thinking about it. Luckily, I do have a ton of stuff to get done today and I changed the sheets first thing this morning! Four or five times? Why, that practically makes you family!

Four or five times? Why, that practically makes you family!

I'll take it!

In between I remembered that I worked in a western wear store in Cheyenne eons ago, so that's gotta count, too. The owner loved that I wore non-Western clothes. That and my accent made me something of a tourist attraction in the store -- loads of tourists came in, as they stopped in Cheyenne during Frontier Days.

Anyway, you'll be fine, a regular champ!

I work for myself too. The big difference is, my work involves a lot of physical stuff, heavy lifting, standing all day, etc. Taking time off from that was not negotiable. But, if I were in your shoes, and had prepared everything, why not leave the laptop at home and just concentrate on getting back on your feet again? Multitasking can be a great thing, and very satisfying when done well, but there are times when all it means is you are doing everything poorly. Focus on getting better, and you may be back at the computer and taking care of business faster and better than trying to push through everything at the same time. Good luck with it.

I've decided to leave the computer at home. For now. I'm still backing everything up and and organizing so if I do need it, my husband can just come home and get it. Progress! Okay, I'm up in 8 hours to head to the hospital. Better pretend like I'm going to get any sleep at all!