Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your wife banded ??

My wife has decided to get banded. I am not getting banded.

We are going in for the initial consultation in just a few days. We are at the beginning of this entire process/journey.

I need to know from all of you: How can I be the best support for my wife through all of this? What can I expect during, before, and after the surgery?

We'll need to travel 3+ hours for the surgery. Will I need to take our 3 kids to a hotel for overnight, or is it best to find someone to watch the kids at home while we're away?

If I'm not getting banded, how does that change sit-down meal time at home with the whole family?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your input and suggestions. :hungry:

Hey there ThereForHer,

Might be able to give a little guidance at least. My wife got banded about 6 weeks ago and I just got banded last week. But that being said, there was the period of time where she was on the liquid post op diet and I was not (things now reversed, but that's another story). Most important thing is to be really supportive of her. I tried to make sure not to bring any of her "problem foods" in the house. We both had a tendency to drink too much soda and we made sure not to even have any around. To be honest, for the first couple of weeks, I ate in a separate room with the kids most of the time. That changed once she got on solids again.

Know that she will likely be tired and sore for around a week or so. As for the kids, I would recommend finding someone to watch them when you go for surgery if it's not a major inconvenience.

Don't know that it happens to all, but my wife got kinda depressed about a week after the surgery for a few days. Have no magic bullet to stop it or deal with it, just be prepared for the possibility.

Most of all let her know you are proud of her for making this decision and acting on it. Let her know you'll do whatever she needs you to in order for her to succeed.

But hey, if you're the type of guy that would take time andgo looking on a site like this to find out how to be more supportive, I'd be willing to bet you'll do just fine. Best of luck to y'all.

Merry Christmas.

Aloha All

My wife and I are both banded, I got mine in July and she was done in Aug. It's the best, both of us on the same page, we do everything together, bike riding, gym, walking and a lot of other things too..:rolleyes: it's the best. She is the rock that is my foundation. I have lost 100 Lbs. and my DSW has lost 58 Lbs. and look great. Take care and good luck to all and Happy New Year

BWD