Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to stay positive, After feeling a bit regretful!

The night after my surgery went home, started crying and feeling regretful. I just need more advice on this rny, I didn't think it was be this bad. I wanted this very badly, but I don't want focused on the negative and what could happen.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

MIssbeauty16 hang in there.

It's your first night. Give yourself some time and let your body and mind heal.

Just remember why you made this decision and keep you mind focused on the result.

Soon you'll see those pounds dropping in large numbers on the scale and the pain will be forgotten.

If you have more questions, ask this forum, there are hundreds of people that would be happy to help.

Hugs to you and I hope you feel better soon

I don't mind the weight dropping (down 44 lbs since 31 August 2016) but I do feel bad when I go out to eat with my family and they eat whatever they want with no regard for what I can eat. Oh well.

*big tight hugz* I understand the feeling regret thing a tiny bit. Im 6days out from an open bypass that was suppose to be laproscopic.. But turned out I had a nice size piece of mesh in my belly he couldn't work around laproscipicly.. I'm blessed to have very supportive parents, sisters, & children.. I had this surgery hoping to alleviate some health issues so I keep focusing on that.. And honestly each day is better.. But usually at some point in the day I feel like crying.. It'll get better! Try to stay focused on why you chose this and stay positive :)

Munky

I don't mind the weight dropping (down 44 lbs since 31 August 2016) but I do feel bad when I go out to eat with my family and they eat whatever they want with no regard for what I can eat. Oh well.

Not to be rude, but you chose to have the surgery, not them.

I don't expect my hubby or family adjusting their eating habits for me. I will eat according to my plan and they can enjoy whatever they want.

Nilla

True, however they should maybe tone it down a little. Just like if I drank and the were an alcoholic I would go easy on them and not just drink everything that I can.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

I don't expect my hubby or family adjusting their eating habits for me. I will eat according to my plan and they can enjoy whatever they want.

Nilla

Everybody handles things differently, and everyone's journey will be different. She was just being truthful about how she was feeling. While in the process of losing weight, our fat cells shrink, which forces out the hormones that are stored there. This is called hormone dumping. This can explain mood swings, irritability, etc. It is perfectly normal to become upset, resentful, angry, or whatever, especially when those you love are sitting around eating whatever they want. The other day, I had to leave my parent's house when the family was gathered because I almost flew into a rage when they ordered pizza. Today, I was crying because I was overwhelmed. How about being a bit more empathetic and supportive of your fellow WLSers.

Sent from my SM-T817V using the BariatricPal App

The first day post op I was doubting my sanity. Now, five weeks later, I can't believe I waited so late night to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Nilla

Everybody handles things differently, and everyone's journey will be different. She was just being truthful about how she was feeling. While in the process of losing weight, our fat cells shrink, which forces out the hormones that are stored there. This is called hormone dumping. This can explain mood swings, irritability, etc. It is perfectly normal to become upset, resentful, angry, or whatever, especially when those you love are sitting around eating whatever they want. The other day, I had to leave my parent's house when the family was gathered because I almost flew into a rage when they ordered pizza. Today, I was crying because I was overwhelmed. How about being a bit more empathetic and supportive of your fellow WLSers.

Sent from my SM-T817V using the BariatricPal App

Well, that was my my opinion in the matter. I don't get why you would say I lack empathy or support for others. You really don't know me.

I still stand by my opinion. I had the surgery and I have to adjust my life according to my new habits required by my wls.

My friends and family are making their own choices for their lives. Who am I to expect that the rest of the world has to change according to my wishes?

If my friend has to have some dental work and can't drink or eat for a few hours, does that mean that I have to do the same, even though my wls requires I meet my liquid goals? Or when my dad gets his hip replaced, should I also stay at home and do exercises for my hip, instead of going shopping or out with friends? Or should I have gone to the same school as my best friend from high school? No.

We all make choices only for ourselves, regarding any matter. That's what makes us individuals and the world more interesting.

Sure there can be raging feelings due to hormones exiting our bodies, but again, we all made that choice to have it happen. That doesn't mean I can't be supportive, but the issue here was of expectations of the world to accomodate us and that just isn't realistic or fair to others.

Nilla

I feel the same way. I am over 3 years out and I still regret my decision. I think our circumstances make us feel regretful. Although I was really unhappy being fat, I was more ashamed of my body.

But now, I have a great figure and I love shopping. Shopping is something that makes me feel amazing!

But physically I am in the worst shape I have ever been in. I was in 2 car accidents this year, and all of my struggles before the bypass have become worse. I have hit a bit of a depression and I feel like I need to get out of it.

I am still hopeful that in the long term I will be able to appreciate the life I have attained from the surgery. But the daily pain, the constant bowel issues and even the weakness, I just cannot deal with this right now.

So given my circumstances, I feel like I have a recipe for continual regret. Yet I regretted my decision less when I was enjoying life and loving my running. Since my accident I have fallen into this hole.

What I am trying to say, besides woe is me ;), is that it will get better. I know right now it sucks, and it might take time, but it will get better.

This is going to be the hardest thing you have ever done. Relearning everything and accepting the apathy towards food is so hard.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App