Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's the gang?

Yes, it sure is disturbing when those among us who always spoke with strong voices suddenly drop off a corner of the virtual planet.

I remember an old timer creating a thread in order to announce her departure shortly after I joined LBT. At the time I was surprised by this and thought that she was being a little arrogant. Now my views are completely changed. I think that she did the community a true kindness.

For the truth is that we are left wondering about the reasons for the absences of such folk as TOM and Carlene, aren't we?

Very true. I just hope nothing bad's happened to them or their loved ones.

Oh, grrl, I am certainly in agreement with you! I sure hope that all is fine for these folks and for their families.

I know I really miss some of those you mentioned (TOM, Carlene) just disappearing!! And Leatha! They could be counted on for straight forward, honest, but kind hearted responses.

I know some mentioned WERE having familial problems--------hope all is well with them! For awhile when I first noticed them missing, I would check the other site, that spun when this one was used for a personal battle of wills....and I saw one of them a couple of times, then nothing....Like all of you, I miss them! It was not always a battle of the wills then.

Kat

Hey Sunshine, congratulations for figuring out how to put up your cartoon. Gross as it is. :rolleyes2: Hits way too close to home, doncha know! And frankly, you should be proud of your accomplishment. I completely ignored trying to post my stats because I'm so computer illiterate. I don't figure anyone really cares anyway.

I really do feel a loss over T.O.M.'s departure. The last post of his that I read he mentioned going for some additional medical tests. It has left me very sad. I don't know if he's sick or has found a site that is more fun or where his input is appreciated more. He caught a lot of flack here. I envision him duking it out with the big guns over on some hairy political site.

Carlene was preoccupied with her daughter coming home after having problems with an abusive husband (or significant other). She was always great for providing some good research to back up one side or the other (usually my side) so I sure enjoyed that and I miss her.

Fortunately we have Derick and Marjon. If you guys every drop off without telling us what happened, I'll never forgive you!

Derick, you're way too conservative but you keep it funny and I absolutely love and appreciate that.

I miss reading more Wheetsin input. We had some great little debates going sometimes, didn't we?

We're also lucky to have the likes of green and laurend. What would I do without you two? :tt1:

Hey Sunshine, congratulations for figuring out how to put up your cartoon. Gross as it is. :rolleyes2: Hits way too close to home, doncha know! And frankly, you should be proud of your accomplishment. I completely ignored trying to post my stats because I'm so computer illiterate. I don't figure anyone really cares anyway.

The toon hit me as funny, and it really is gross. I have some new toons. They poke fun at getting old....which I'm doing as I am 63 now.

Sorry to hear about the losses on this thread.

Friends of mine keep sending me irreverant material about aging and I used to think those things were very funny. I used to send it to my Dad all the time, thinking he would get a big kick out of it. He might have just wanted to give me a big kick!

I'm not as old as you, but close enough, and the whole idea of aging is seriously getting me down. The idea, as well as the aches, pains, loss of eyesight and hearing...too, too much!

We're in the process of taking care of my DH's aging parents and there is just no real happy solution to this aging problem. We're having people come in and help on a daily basis but it isn't a perfect scenario, just better than putting them in a nursing home which T.O.M. swore were breeding grounds for bladder and kidney infections.

On that happy note, I think I'm going to do all I can to enjoy my feedom as long as I can - that and my ability to be totally self-sufficient and my ability to keep the things that I love around me. In other words, the things that you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands. Or something like that.

I miss some of the older people, and I don't miss others. I do wish Lisa would show back up again. (And others, of course, but her name comes to mind). She was always a very rational voice.

I miss some of the older people, and I don't miss others. I do wish Lisa would show back up again. (And others, of course, but her name comes to mind). She was always a very rational voice.

Assuming you mean me :lol: - I'm back!

I was gone for a while due to a combination of family issues(mainly the health of my in-laws) and feeling embarassed because my weight loss wasn't going as well as I wanted. I'm getting back on track, and being here helps. I also missed the discussions not related to LB.

I'm glad you are back among the living!

Friends of mine keep sending me irreverant material about aging and I used to think those things were very funny. I used to send it to my Dad all the time, thinking he would get a big kick out of it. He might have just wanted to give me a big kick!

I'm not as old as you, but close enough, and the whole idea of aging is seriously getting me down. The idea, as well as the aches, pains, loss of eyesight and hearing...too, too much!

Aging is the pits and my body seems to be full of aches, pains and just winding down. Hate it. But, jokes about it seem to lift the spirit for me because it helps me to laugh about life's ironies and realities.

The main reason I got banded was to down-age (like down-size)..some.

Assuming you mean me :lol: - I'm back!

I was gone for a while due to a combination of family issues(mainly the health of my in-laws) and feeling embarassed because my weight loss wasn't going as well as I wanted. I'm getting back on track, and being here helps. I also missed the discussions not related to LB.

I'm glad you are back among the living!

We need to see more of you, Lisah! It's good to have you back! :)

:smile:

Kat,

I just wanted to say hello and thank you very much for your kind words in this post.

It has been quite awhile since I have frequented this message board (or any other) and I too have missed alot of wonderful people who, like myself were here from the time this board began.

I met so many IRL - we had some wonderful gatherings in places like Las Vegas and Galveston, Texas. We offered each other awesome support for a truly life-changing experience. We became fast friends and supporters of one another. We cheered for the good and we cried and prayed for those things in our lives which might have gone wrong.

In my time of having been gone from message boards, I have learned alot about myself and others. How many hours I spent in the beginning attempting to share my experience, strength and hope for a better future. I do truly believe that many of my hours spent were truly helpful to those who were seeking to learn about their new adventures with the lapband. I think that sharing my experiences with losing, slippage and re-banding probably also provided at least a few some insight into what their futures could hold and that it was not the end of the world if complications did arise. I think my friendship and encouragement to new folks was deeply appreciated and I know that I gained alot of knowledge and insight from others as well. For this, I am grateful to the time spent.

I also realized that there were many hours wasted. Precious hours which could have been spent making memories with loved ones or being more productive with my job or actually exercising and getting out in the world to see the beauty instead of being addicted to the chaos which sometimes invades the realms of message boards/chat rooms etc.

I have also learned that all things are temporary. We all have our seasons and we all move through them (if we want to grow as a person). I've had many. I began my internet life in chatrooms which supported BBW, initially thinking I could love my fuller figure. I found myself hurt there and scarred by people who didn't have my best interests in their hearts. I learned.

I moved out of there, seeking a healthier life for myself due to serious medical complications. I hated who I had become body-wise, self esteem-wise and I began researching the band in 2002. 2003, I was banded and I loved it. 2004, I was re-banded due to slippage, 6 weeks later, I had to undergo yet another surgery for gallbladder removal. I lost a total of 75lbs. I said all those things about never having to worry about weight again. I made statements about how things were going to happen as if I knew the future and I see many do it today. But, the truth is, we never know our future. From one day to the next our lives can change and very certainly does. It is inevitable. So, I've learned that is best to just stick to my own journey, if I can glean a bit of wisdom from someone who has gone before me then it is a good thing. I admit I tend to laugh a little to myself when I see new folks who already have all the answers, but it is the way of human nature, we were all once new and young with all the answers. :eek:

As for me, I loved my band. I wanted it to be the thing that saved my life and forever held me accountable. I was banded over a period of 4.5 yrs and it was a good experience, despite the bumps in the road along the way. Over the last 3 years I struggled to simply maintain and eventually gained back 25 of my 75lbs. I knew in my heart things were never going to be the same with the second band as with the first, so this past year I have struggled with the thought of what I could do in order not to regain all my lost weight. My health just could not take going back to where I had began so on December 27th, 2007 I underwent yet another surgery (my 4th) to revise to RNY. The very thing I did not want to do in the beginning. The very thing I had argued on these silly boards about how much better my WLS choice was than theirs ..on and on. Yesterday, I had my one month post-op visit and I have lost 32lbs. Things are different than with the band, but not all as different as those of us who profess to know all have so often proclaimed. I don't have constant diarrhea. My recovery time was about the same. I did have alot of pain coming out of surgery due to having to have my band removed and the hiatal hernia repair that was done while getting my last band REDONE. The doc said the whole band was prolapsed and the hiatal hernia repair had all fallen down which was probably why I couldn't even tell I had a band in and felt I was having esophageal problems for the past few years.

Today, I feel good. I eat very little, but so far, I have had no nausea whatsoever. I cannot drink the Protein shakes like I always did with the band, so I have to focus on real Proteins which is the way I like it anyway. I am lucky to have had the band because I had already learned about taking small bites and chewing well. I already had the practice of focusing on Protein, so I had a leg up in that area. To me, it's just the next chapter in the journey to save my life from obesity because I know that I was no good at doing it myself or I would have gotten control of it before all this began.

I take chewable Vitamins, such as Flintstones and the B12 I have been taking all along. I do have to take Calcium Citrate in addition to the others due to malabsorption issues, but at my age, I should be taking Calcium anyway, so I don't feel I'm encumbered my 'massive' supplements as is often propagandized by those of us who may or may not read too much. lol

I do not know what my future holds, any more than I did the day I was banded or the years after. I do not know what my future holds any more than if I never had WLS at all. I just know that for today, I am continuing the fight to maintain the quality of life I feel I deserve and I would encourage anyone else to do the same, whichever route they find themselves on.

I have contemplated dropping in and just giving this update, but procrastinated for various reasons. But, I do truly appreciate you remembering me in your kind post. I wish us all continued success and humility in this journey for life and peace in our hearts.

God bless..

Leatha

RNY 12/27/07

175lbs today.

I know I really miss some of those you mentioned (TOM, Carlene) just disappearing!! And Leatha! They could be counted on for straight forward, honest, but kind hearted responses.

I know some mentioned WERE having familial problems--------hope all is well with them! For awhile when I first noticed them missing, I would check the other site, that spun when this one was used for a personal battle of wills....and I saw one of them a couple of times, then nothing....Like all of you, I miss them! It was not always a battle of the wills then.

Kat

Hey Letha, Kat and all you oldies that were there for me in April 06.

I check this board every great now and then. Letha am so glad you are doing good, have thought of you often.I now have my daughter as some of you know has end stage liver disease living with me along with my 15 year old grandaughter. Finally went and got them last Sept. Got to where I spent all my time in West Texas so just brought them here. Pam has good days and a lot of bad days. She is moving up on the MELD score at Baylor for a transplant, and of course having a teenager in the house is another story.

But she is a sweetheart and she keeps you young until about 8:30 at night when I collapse. lol.

I stay in touch with several from the oldies. Kat can you believe it has been almost two years since we were banded. I am still doing great. About three pounds from goal and maintaing well. Had the ole gall bladder removed two weeks ago and the surgeon that did it also does lapbands here in East Texas and said he checked it while in there and all looked great.

Okay Now Carlene where are you?

Love ya all, Sallyjo:smile:

Leatha! So glad to see you are ok! Stop in and say hi every now and then, let us know you are well!!! I do my level best to provide to others the honest, friendly advice you offered to me! You are missed!!

Sallyjo---sorry to hear your DD is still failing health wise, will remember your family in my prayers---good to see you here too!!!

Hugs~~

Kat