Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do you think Drs are so different?

Just wondering why do you think everyone's program is so drastically different? I know there has to be some consistent research on gastric sleeve surgery. But there are so many variations with everyone.

My Dr allowed Protein shakes upon Discharge from hospital.

Then every 2-3 days I am allowed to progress to yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce then well cooked vegetables.

Then 2-5 days eggs, Beans, fish and nuts then dark meat chicken.

If I can tolerate the new food for 2 days I could progress on.

This could be as soon as 3 weeks.

Luckily (or unluckily lol) I have been able to tolerate everything with no problems.

The only thing that makes me nauseous is my chewable Vitamin.

I see some people on liquids for weeks after surgery.

Just makes me curious why my program allows it but others don't? The surgery should be standard protocol for most everyone right?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

All people are different -- not all have the same experiences.. so maybe some programs tailor their protocols to what they feel would be most beneficial to their patients in the long run. Maybe others have their protocol now-- but that could be open to change- perhaps based on more patient experience. Maybe out of concern for their own practices. If they have patients who have experienced complications after surgery- that might make them reevaluate their protocols.

I consulted two surgeons prior to having my sleeve surgery.

I was actually in two different programs for 2 months each.

The first surgeon was very strict on everything. He spoke in terms of "never" in regards to carbonated drinks, alcohol, certain medications and etc. He was also in the first 5 years of his practice in bariatrics after being a general surgeon for much longer.

The second surgeon who I actually used...was further along in his experience with bariatric surgery. He also was very clear on certain aspects but also left certain things open for me to test and evaluate.

I wonder about that myself? I have seen the results that my doctor has had with other people who did surgery through him. So, I am trusting my doctor's rules are the way to go for me. I know people who have had RNY who look like they had RNY who never drank another soda and I know people who have had the RNY that don't look like they have ever had any weight loss surgery and are back to eating almost anything they want to. I'm of the opinion that "getting back to normal" should never be the goal. I hope that your doctor's program works for you, but you are asking the right questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

A surgeon's protocols are going to be influence by dozens of factors....their education and training before ever becoming surgeons, their training and experiences after becoming surgeons, the anesthesiologists they work with, other surgeons they mentored under, the protocols of other practices they may have worked for, their current colleagues, bosses and hospital administrators, their nurses, the programs nutritionist, individual patient cases that may have had good or poor outcomes from certain policies/procedures, overall compliance of the patients, ultimate expectations of the surgeon (which may be quite different than the patient's expectations), etc. And those are just broad categories that have innumerable details influencing the surgeons decisions and protocols.

I've worked with hundreds of different doctors over the 30+ years of my nursing career and I can tell you that for every 10 doctors' there are at least 20 different way of going the same thing. So not only is each patient different, so is each Doctor. I have yet to see ANY surgery or procedure or program that has a standardized protocol.

Edited by Dairymary

Ditto what dairymary said. I had an extensive knee surgery and researched it extensively. One of my questions to my surgeon was about which physical therapy protocols he follows. Every doctor formulates his protocols based on his training and experience. I had the same questions for my WLS surgeon, especially since I can't do Keto. I didn't want to be at odds with my surgeon and her recovery protocols.

sent from mobile device

Yup, as usual @@Dairymary hit the nail on the head. For instance, my surgeon doesn't think the 'liver shrinking' diet before surgery is necessary because of a conference he went to that stated the difference in the size of the liver after is so minimal that it doesn't matter. Lucky for me ;)