Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signed up to the gym

Hi all, well i took the plunge last night and signed up to my local leisure centre for unlimited swim & gym, first visit tonight for an induction. If anyone has any training ideas or some sort of routine please share away.

Really looking forward to it now to see how its going to help the weight loss

Thanks, Dave.

I have been following Kate Neal Fitness on Facebook. She posts the best workouts. She shows beginner and advanced options -which I love- u can print it out and bring it w u to the gym for ideas w free weights. Check her out! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my sleeve done on 11/8. But I too just signed up for the local gym and met with a trainer this past Monday. He was pretty emphatic that I not go on the treadmill because I have a pre-existing back injury, so the routine that he gave me is three days a week at the gym and two days at home with an optional day at the gym *if* I want it.

So Mondays are resistance training with a 10 lb. kettlebell doing squats, a 20 pound weight bar doing overhead lifts from the waist and underhand lifts to the abdomen from the bottom of my arms (letting the bar hang in my arms, then pulling it up and into my abdomen).

Tuesdays are working with PT bands at home or going for a walk

Wednesdays are riding the recumbent bike at the gym, using the ZombiesRun app (it alternates pace and will speed up for 30 secs or so when you are being 'chased' by a zombie - I highly recommend it) and my Spotify Playlists.

Thursdays are working with the PT bands or going for a walk - whichever I DIDN'T do on Tuesday.

Fridays are pools days for aquatic classes - Water aerobics, strength training in the Water, whatever class I choose.

Saturday is my optional day - I can go in and do the Resistance Training or the Recumbent Bike, while my son (7) attends the FitKid class which he likes.

Sunday is off, but my husband and I like to take a walk or take the kids to a park, so there's still exercise there.

My surgeon and my trainer are of similar minds - if you aren't walking out the door saying "I'm going to the get my exercise," then you aren't going to exercise. It's made me super-conscious of when I'm trying to get exercise and when I'm not, and allowed me to start habits pre-op (walking and riding the recumbent bike in my apartment's little gym).

Hope this helps,

~Meg

Swimming, Water aerobic classes and Nordic Walking classes/groups. For me, it's anything that is "joint friendly." Good for you, keep up the good work!

Meg- did your Dr approve you to lift that heavy kettle ball and weight?

I'm not sure when I'm allowed to lift anything heavy but I have a heavy work bag that I can really feel in my stomach when lifting.

I have a follow up appt on Dec 8th. Hoping I get the ok to start that. I just compare it to like hernia surgery and restrictions for 6 weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Actually, he did approve that ten pounds as long as I don't feel any pulling or abdominal stress. But every doctor and every patient is different.

You can do all of the exercises with no weight or just with a chair under your butt in case you fall. One alternative that the trainer offered was to use a walking stick or broom handle as a bar or a bag of dry Beans instead of a kettle ball.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Do what you enjoy. For me that meant trying different classes and programs to

figure what I like. I started with a walking program that prepares you to run a 5k. I also tried Zumba classes, Muy Thai boxing, and hip hop dance classes. Ultimately, I found that I enjoy strength training. To that end, I would recommend the book, "New Rules of Weight Lifting".

Well i have to say last night was great, really enjoyed it, so much so i'm off there again tonight.

Started off with 20 minutes on the treadmill gradually increasing the speed and incline, then it was 10 minutes on the cross trainer, 2 minutes with arm movement 2 minutes without all the way through and finished off with 20 minutes on an exercise bike, the instructor wants me doing this for around 6 weeks before hitting the free weights.

I can honestly say when i was leaving my legs felt like jelly, but it didnt half feel good