Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finished sleep study..sleep apnea....cpap

Hi guys!

Last night I had my sleep study and slept at the sleep lab. This is a requirement for my surgeon. Well, they said I had sleep apnea. I hated being all tied up with wire and electrodes and almost had a freak out!

Now I have to go back and get that cpap machine. My insurance, I think, pays 90%....so here are my questions;

Did you do a sleep study

Do you have sleep apnea

Has weight loss helped with the sleep apnea

Did your surgeon require this

Do you like the cpap machine, if you have one

Are they expensive

Did you feel more rested after using a cpap

Thanks for your anticipated replies!!!

Marieze

Hi guys!

Last night I had my sleep study and slept at the sleep lab. This is a requirement for my surgeon. Well, they said I had sleep apnea. I hated being all tied up with wire and electrodes and almost had a freak out!

Now I have to go back and get that cpap machine. My insurance, I think, pays 90%....so here are my questions;

Did you do a sleep study Required by my doctor

Do you have sleep apnea yep, Obstructive Apnea

Has weight loss helped with the sleep apnea Just beginning the losing, so I cant answer this one

Did your surgeon require this Yes

Do you like the cpap machine, if you have one Not my favorite thing, but it makes for a good nights sleep once used to it

Are they expensive I saw a bill to my ins. for 1200

Did you feel more rested after using a cpap YES

Thanks for your anticipated replies!!!

Marieze

Plus this is another thing to send your insurance company to get them to pay for the surgery...Good Luck, Dave

Hi Marieze!

I found out I had sleep apnea before I started all the testing for the lapband surgery. I haven't been banded yet, (Waiting on insurance approval) so I can't tell you if losing weight has helped - but the Dr told me that it definitely will. Plus I have read on this site that many, many people no longer have to use their c-pap machine after losing weight.

I absolutely feel better since using the machine. I got used to it pretty quickly, and couldn't believe how rested I felt right from the beginning. (My DH also uses a machine, and we laugh about if a burgular ever creeps into our bedroom, and we both jump up out of fear - the bugular would probably have a heart attack thinking he stumbled upon some aliens!)

My insurance paid for most of the cost of the machine. I think I may have had to pay around $150.

When I decided to have lapband surgery right after being diagnosed with the sleep apnea, I thought I'd just let it go and not get the machine. But after doing some research, and talking with my family Dr, I decided to go ahead with it. The main reason is that sleep apnea is hard on the heart - you stop breathing, therefore you are not taking in enough oxygen, so your heart has to work harder. I already had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and morbid obesity - how much could my poor heart take?!? I feel that using the machine is just another tool for becoming healthy.

I hope this info helps, and if you have anymore questions - just ask. We're all here to help one another!

Forestcat

Marieze,

I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea in early 2006 - before I had considered Lap Band surgery. Eveyone hates the sleep study - it is so hard to sleep with all those wires attached, and someone watching you by camera. But undiagonsed apnea can kill you. Its worth it.

I was only banded last week, so can't tell you if weight loss will get rid of the apnea. Also, my apnea is caused as much by paralyzed vocal folds as weight, so even when I lose weight I might still need the CPAP machine.

One web site you should check out is CPAP Machines and CPAP Masks for the Treatment of Sleep Apnea. There is also a related site at www.cpaptalk.com CPAP and Sleep Apnea Discussion Forum run just like this message board - users helping users. This site does not accept insurance, but will put the proper codes on your invoice so you can submit it to your insurance company. Many have found that the prices on this site, even if insurance won't pay, is less than the deductible charged by many DMEs (Durable Medical Equipment).

There is some variety in the machines, based on whether you plan to do a lot of traveling with it or not, and even more choices of masks - full-face, nasal, pillows, etc. There are also some accessories that can be helpful, such as hose covers that reduce or eliminate moisture in the hose and mask caused by room temperatures.

The cpaptalk site is full of very helpful people, and I am sure they will welcome you there.

NOTE: I have no connection with either of these sites, except to be a happy customer.

Surfbored

I had a sleep study done as a requirement. Got a cpap for sleep apnea, they needed my personal mask and settings for the recovery room (did not use it). My insurance paid for the machine,but I've seldom used it (too uncomfortable) In need to go for another mask fitting and desensitization. I hope the weight loss helps, I used to sleep much better before I became morbidly obese

I very rarely talk on this board cuz I am still waiting for the surgery (over a year now) however, when it comes to sleep apnea, I know my stuff. I knew I had sleep apnea my whole life - I would wake up gasping for air. I had done it since I was about 5, and it seemed so normal - I didn't do anything about it till I was 18. I went to my Dr. and said I am having trouble staying awake in class, and he asked me why I thought that was . . . lol, I told him it was because I had sleep apnea - he asked me who diagnosed me, I said I did, I watched the Discovery Channel on it! Well, 2 weeks later, I had the test and the administrator said that I was the worst case he had ever seen. I averaged 70% oxygen when I slept and I went 4+ minutes without breathing at a time. He said I was actually going into a type of coma when I slept, that I was only getting .7% REM sleep. They sent me directly to my Dr.s office who fitted me with a CPAP. They told me I really didn't have an option, that I HAD to have surgery to correct it. I was on the machine for 2 months. It was supposed to have been 1, but the damn machine had a timer that told them how much I used it - and I didn't. I would put it on for about 30 minutes, then take it off for the rest of the night. The second month, I used it correctly and was surprised at how much better I felt. Long story a little shorter, I had the surgery - 4.5 hours worth, they broke my nose and removed a LOT of bone and cartlidge (I guess) and removed that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat, along with most of my soft pallate. My tonsils had grown into the back of my throat and were removed also. After the surgery - I was in ICU and getting 99% oxygen the same day, even with all the swelling. I am their case study - they follow up with me still (I am 32 now), I was the worst case they had seen and I had the best recovery. If I would have been thin, the apnea wouldnt have been so bad, but I still would have had it. My suggestion, use the machine, I bet when you loose weight, you will come off of it on your own. After surgery, my GPA went up one point in a semester and I was amazed at all the things I could remember without writing it down and putting reminders everywhere.

Yes I have had sleep apnea and it was severe. my insurance also paid 90 percent but still owed the doctor 512 dollars after all the studies were done. Lap banded on 8-15. The cpap machienes are expensive but after surgery my sleep apnea began to get better. Signs of apnea are waking in the night as well as loud snoring and feeling ran down. Post surgery have lost 40 pds so far no snoring, no waking up in the night and feel great. My doctor told me that sleep apnea will go away as well as high blood pressure and diabetis. But if u are waiting on surgery get the CPAP it is definately a life of death matter.

I can't thank you guys enough for your responses. I really had no idea that sleep apnea was a real killer.

I go back this Saturday night so that they can fit me with a cpap and I will get this as it seems the most logical thing to do.

I have been dragging my a** for years and the though of awakening refreshed is something I only dream of! Wouldn't that be nice.

Again, thank you for all your kind and informative replies.

Marieze

Marieze, Keep a glass of Water near the bed when you first start with the CPAP. Mine dried my throat out quite a bit, but after a few days, I got used to it. Now to make the sleep apnea go away........Dave

I am very glad this thread was made. I really don't believe I have sleep apnea because I barely have any signs, if any, for it but my doctor wanted to check and make sure. I'm nervous for my sleep test, but hope it will go all well..

<p>

Hi guys!</p> <p> </p> <p>Last night I had my sleep study and slept at the sleep lab. This is a requirement for my surgeon. Well, they said I had sleep apnea. I hated being all tied up with wire and electrodes and almost had a freak out!</p> <p> </p> <p>Now I have to go back and get that cpap machine. My insurance, I think, pays 90%....so here are my questions;</p> <p> </p> <p>Did you do a sleep study</p> <p>Do you have sleep apnea</p> <p>Has weight loss helped with the sleep apnea</p> <p>Did your surgeon require this</p> <p>Do you like the cpap machine, if you have one</p> <p>Are they expensive</p> <p>Did you feel more rested after using a cpap</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks for your anticipated replies!!!</p> <p> </p> <p>Marieze
</p> <p> </p> <p>Did you do a sleep study YES</p> <p>Do you have sleep apnea YES</p> <p>Has weight loss helped with the sleep apnea YES</p> <p>Did your surgeon require this I had the sleep study done years before surgery.</p> <p>Do you like the cpap machine, if you have one Yes I do. I have a Respironics auto-titrating CPAP.</p> <p>Are they expensive Yes they are.</p> <p>Did you feel more rested after using a cpap Yes I do, and I feel HORRIBLE without one!</p>

Here's a link to my CPAP:

REMstar® Auto, Respironics

Hi,

I noticed your post and wanted to ask how long you used your CPAP at home before surgery...I heard that many surgeons require you to use the CPAP at home for two-three weeks before surgery?

I am newly diagnosed with sleep apnea and scheduled for surgery Oct. 24th!

<p>yes I have sleep apnea and had a sleep study howecver my doctor did not require it (I had it done prior to the surgery by about a year.) After my surgery my sleep apnea was gone a machiene will cost you about 500 dollars for a top of the line which you will want because the mask is easier to use and has a built in humidifier. Good luck on the surgery best thing I ever did for myself.</p>

Did you do a sleep study - NO, Not in relation to getting approval for surgery. I've had C-Pap machine since 2000.

Do you have sleep apnea - YES

Has weight loss helped with the sleep apnea - ??? Not far enough along to know.

Did your surgeon require this - NO.

Do you like the cpap machine, if you have one - YES. Love it.

Are they expensive - Around $2000 when I got mine if I recall correctly.

Did you feel more rested after using a cpap - YES. I was amazed how much better I slept.

I did a sleep study before I even meet the lapband doctor. This help me to get approved for the lapband. I have notice a differance before and after surgery. I go see the sleep doctor next week and will be instering to see what the results were before and after surgery. I will keep everyone posted.

Chris