Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Initial appointment frustration

Had my initial appointment and while my insurance (tufts) does not have any requirements the surgeon is saying it will be 6 months AT LEAST for me to go through their program (umass)?

I am thinking of looking at programs in other in-network hospitals.

It appeared the surgeon was not fond of me due to my having done my appropriate research. Idk it could have been me just feeling that vibe.

I weighed in at 239.7 and 5'6.5" which they round up. I have been working with their nutritionist since August and have fluctuated a bit but am only down about 3lbs.

I'm frustrated. I thought that working within this program would put me ahead with the timeline and show I've been working on it but he seemed to just brush it off.

I turn 30 in May and was really hoping to be having surgery in February or March, I mean I've been going there since July to meetings and orientation and the nutritionist.

Then surgeon says that I will need to lose weight but then I will not qualify at all so I might want to think about it some more if this is why i really want. Of course it's not what I REALLY want. I wanted to do it on my own and I've tried but I do believe I need this. I've spent nearly 3 years looking into sleeve gastronomy and then changing my mind because I was too proud.

This surgeon says "maybe your body is comfortable at 200lbs" but it's not. It was not comfortable than and it's not comfortable now. I have sleep apnea, shortness of breath on stairs, joint and back pain.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just so frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What is the story with the 6 months? And, if it is his requirement, why doesn't the time you've spent working with his program's nutritionist count toward that time?

Sorry but I would run far and fast from a surgeon who would say something idiotic like "your body is comfortable at 200 lbs." Find a surgeon who will work with you to set an ambitious and healthy goal and hold you to strict standards in reaching it, not engage in new age BS about where your body is "comfortable" or "happy."

What is the story with the 6 months? And, if it is his requirement, why doesn't the time you've spent working with his program's nutritionist count toward that time?

The program has a "track" of visits you must complete. So because I still have to meet the behavioral therapist, exercise person and Doctor a certain amount of times he is saying it would be 6 months.

I am meeting with the nutritionist again and am going to ask her what she thinks

Sorry but I would run far and fast from a surgeon who would say something idiotic like "your body is comfortable at 200 lbs." Find a surgeon who will work with you to set an ambitious and healthy goal and hold you to strict standards in reaching it, not engage in new age BS about where your body is "comfortable" or "happy."

I found it so strange the way he said that. My body is actually "comfortable" at 180-185. Everytime I've been that weight I have gotten pregnant! But it takes so much work and unhealthy habits to get down there and I don't want to live that life.

He said that 200lbs is the cusp of healthy BMI for my height and therefore a goal of 155-160 is good to have but I should be aware that 200 could be my bodies comfort weight?

I want to look for other programs but this one is so well known and popular while also being close to my home that IDK where to start.

Seeing as you have tufts I'm assuming you are in Mass?? Most programs here at 6 months. My surgery is next Friday and I had to go through a six month program that my insurance did not require at Boston Medical Center. My surgeons goal weight for me is 180( which happens to be mine also) although the BMI chart says I should be between 128-168(5'9). I had to lose 15lbs before approval. My friend in NYC lost her weight through a liquid diet before surgery . I would still look around because all surgeon are not created equal(he sounds uninformed...if u went to orientation and have been seing the nutritionist that should count) but all that I have looked up in Mass require 6 months of visits.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Anastasia02119

Well missionslimmom, my dr also had atleast a 6 month requirement. And it was all well worth it. This isnt something to just jump into. I saw that youve read up on everything for 2yrs, so did i. I thought after talking to any and everyone thats had thr surgery, to watching every episode of my 600lb life, to reading books and online, i knew it all. But once my pcp dr referred me to this dr and we met, they gave me a list of things that i had to accomplish before surgery. See a therapist, a cardiologist, lose between 15-30lbs, a upper gi study, and to see the nutritionist 6x and attend at least 3 groups. By the time all those appointments get scheduled, you still have 6 nutritionist appointments. 1 each month so youre lucky if, IF its not really like 8 months before surgery. So knowing that im 7wks post op, didnt matter how much i thought i was prepared mentally, nothing can prepare you for these feelings that out of no where comes pooring out when you just really want some ice cream, or a glass of your favorite wine. And im 50yrs old. Never had a weight issue until i broke my back at work 5yrs ago as a flight attendant. And 145lbs went to 298 because of all the steriods in medicines for Rhymotoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and MS. I was suicidal because of the depression of the weight.. i realize that youre upset right now, but i really and truly hope that at least somethings that ive said will help you understand the entire process. If you get a dr thsts willing to do it faster, id run from them. The things that ive gone through over the past 7months definitely helped prepare me and i wouldnt have had it any other way

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Seeing as you have tufts I'm assuming you are in Mass?? Most programs here at 6 months. My surgery is next Friday and I had to go through a six month program that my insurance did not require at Boston Medical Center. My surgeons goal weight for me is 180( which happens to be mine also) although the BMI chart says I should be between 128-168(5'9). I had to lose 15lbs before approval. My friend in NYC lost her weight through a liquid diet before surgery . I would still look around because all surgeon are not created equal(he sounds uninformed...if u went to orientation and have been seing the nutritionist that should count) but all that I have looked up in Mass require 6 months of visits.

Your dr program sounds like the norm. And im not up state, i now live in fl. Ive in boston, actually in Dorchester and across the world. The only way that if your insurance is paying that youre going to get that surgery paid for is to follow the guidelines and if yourr paying out of pocket, id definitely would take their advice and seek mental and nutritional help to make this journey and life change the best it can be for me. During 1 of my group meetings, there was a lady that was still coming trying to find out what she couldve done to save her daughters life. She committed suicide because she had her surgery done in Mexico where they didnt require any of these things that the jnsurance require because she wanted it fast and she paid for it out of pocket.

I guess i just really wanna see people succeed with life. The media shows to many body types that arent the norm these days but young girls think they have to be a size 2 to be beautiful and that isnt true. But that dr that told her that her body was comfortable at 200lbs is a quack. Id definitely find someone else but still work the program. I dont know any of you but you told her right. Were all Sisters in this game of weight loss. We just want her to get it the right way so that she will succeed and wont be 1 of these people that didnt have the right tools to keep it off forever. This wasnt some lightweight surgery and god forbid id ever put the weight back on, then what. Idk, but keep giving her great advise and help her to find the right way

I also have tufts and they do require 6 monthly consecutive visits. these can also include visits with your pcp, nutritionist, surgeon. I just had my initial appt with the surgeon last week, and he was very optimistic. Since I had 1 appt. last month with pcp last month, he said that,would be considered my 1st visit. We are the same stats and he wants me to lose 12 lbs. before surgery date.

These next few months are filled with nut visits, and all types of testing, he said they'll fly by and my 6th visit will be my pre-op visit before surgery. There is a program at St. Elizabeths in Brighton, sometimes you have to drive a little to work with a great surgeon and weight loss team. It will be worth it in the long run. Definitely talk to another surgeon to get another opinion. Good Luck!!????

The 6 months will go buy quickly.

We fat people don't like to wait for thingd we want, but most of us you've probably seen overweight for years. Abort half of WLS patients regain their weight. Use this time to prepare for a major life change. Educate yourself so ouwill so succeed.

I also have tufts and they do require 6 monthly consecutive visits. these can also include visits with your pcp, nutritionist, surgeon. I just had my initial appt with the surgeon last week, and he was very optimistic. Since I had 1 appt. last month with pcp last month, he said that,would be considered my 1st visit. We are the same stats and he wants me to lose 12 lbs. before surgery date.

These next few months are filled with nut visits, and all types of testing, he said they'll fly by and my 6th visit will be my pre-op visit before surgery. There is a program at St. Elizabeths in Brighton, sometimes you have to drive a little to work with a great surgeon and weight loss team. It will be worth it in the long run. Definitely talk to another surgeon to get another opinion. Good Luck!!????

It really did fly by! I am glad I did it and it really prepared me for the surgery. I am 5 days away and I am just ready to get started. I heard St.Elizabeths was really good! BMC has a really great surgical team. My surgeon is just so relaxed it made me relaxed.

Tufts health direct which is what I have does not have the requirement.

I HAVE done all the visits already which is why I'm frustrated. I've seen the therapist a few times, seen the nutritionist and am participating in a supervised weight loss program (Omada/prevent) through insurance. I have spoken with Tufts multiple times to confirm what is necessary.

It's not like I expected to have surgery scheduled for December or anything lol but I wouldn't have been doing all the meetings and leg work if I knew it wasn't going to count for ANYTHING even though it was all through the same program kwim? I'm in Worcester so St.Es is a bit of a hike but I did have my gallbladder removed there and felt super comfortable with the team despite that being and emergency surgery.

I'm going to keep looking but I'm not going to Mexico so no worries there

where did you hear that they don't have the 6 month requirement? On their site it says that and also my dr. Office, whom I imagine has also dealt with them before also said that. Do you have it in writing or can direct me online, I'd love to know if that's not the case. I also have tufts health direct. I just finished Omaha also, did you likev the program?

where did you hear that they don't have the 6 month requirement? On their site it says that and also my dr. Office, whom I imagine has also dealt with them before also said that. Do you have it in writing or can direct me online, I'd love to know if that's not the case. I also have tufts health direct. I just finished Omaha also, did you likev the program?

I spoke with a rep on the phone two separate times and the surgeon confirmed that for me on Friday. It's no longer a requirement which is a double edge sword because it puts more trust in the surgeon/program, but also doesn't have a set guideline. You would still have to follow the program's guidelines so it doesn't make much of a difference. This is all from what the reps on the phone told me.

I enjoy being a part of the Omada program. I'm in a second round now because I really like the app and scale even though I've only lost about 4 total pounds since July. I gained then lost when I broke my ankle.

Thanks for everyone's input as I said, I'm going to continue in this program due to the convenience of the hospital and the fact I do have an established relationship with the nutritionist but I am still a bit weary of the surgeon.

I'm glad I have this forum.