Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much has everything been required to lose before surgery?

I started at 376, I am now 335 and my surgeon is requiring that I lose six more over Thanksgiving for a Dec 1 appt, and at least ten more during the two week diet or he will cancel surgery. I have already spent 30K on fulfilling his requirements so I can't stop now. The surgery will be another 19K. I have been working towards this since February and have been struggling. I inspect food service facilities all day every work day. I have gotten the "you must not want this enough" and my day is ruled by the scale (am required to weigh daily) and I get so stressed out over it all. Reading through here it seems most at my weight aren't required to lose this much. I am self pay so it isn't due to insurance requirements. Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon did not have me or any of his other patients loose weight before surgery. The heaviest weight he has done the MGB on was 600 pounds. I had my surgery June 8 of this year and in 5 months I have lost almost 100 pounds. My surgery everything included with lifetime visits is only 23,000. I couldn't ask for a better surgeon he literally gives u his number and has u call him personally. He is so awesome. I apologize for what your doctor says, lacks empathy and compassion if u ask me.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using the BariatricPal App

I think different doctors do different things. I just joined this app last night and I've been reading people's pre op posts and my Dr don't have me on a pre op diet but it can't gain any weight. I do have to watch my No/Low carbs and can't exceed over 20 grams of carbs a day so for me I'm getting advise on Water intake to shakes that will help me when I start. I'm having a laparoscopoc sleeve gastronomy Dec 28th 3 days after Christmas. I would say keep doing what you are doing. What your intake and walk a little too. You have made this far keeping moving forward. Let me know how things go.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon did not have me or any of his other patients loose weight before surgery. The heaviest weight he has done the MGB on was 600 pounds. I had my surgery June 8 of this year and in 5 months I have lost almost 100 pounds. My surgery everything included with lifetime visits is only 23,000. I couldn't ask for a better surgeon he literally gives u his number and has u call him personally. He is so awesome. I apologize for what your doctor says, lacks empathy and compassion if u ask me.

Thank you for your response. I have been feeling that way for some time. At first they said it would be around 16K, but then after doing so much, there was always one more thing...and having so much invested, I believed it and kept going. I feel better that it's not just me that thinks this. I appreciate your words.

Regards,

Sarah

I think different doctors do different things. I just joined this app last night and I've been reading people's pre op posts and my Dr don't have me on a pre op diet but it can't gain any weight. I do have to watch my No/Low carbs and can't exceed over 20 grams of carbs a day so for me I'm getting advise on Water intake to shakes that will help me when I start. I'm having a laparoscopoc sleeve gastronomy Dec 28th 3 days after Christmas. I would say keep doing what you are doing. What your intake and walk a little too. You have made this far keeping moving forward. Let me know how things go.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I am still trying, it is just a bummer to be so focused on not eating on a family holiday where I have to cook. I will post an update as time goes on.

Regards,

Sarah

I understand the feeling buy this is life changing for a healthier you. Look at as Test. You have to have will power of saying NO to certain foods and not eating until you feel full. I think this is a great app that helps people and not feel like someone is judging you. Take it one step at a time. If you need someone to go thru this journey with I'm here you can inbox me anytime. Have you been given a date yet. We will do this togather. I love food but I love me and my kids more and that's my inspiration. @@InspectorJensen

My spell check is crazy on this app. I meant but not buy. Sorry

I started at 376, I am now 335 and my surgeon is requiring that I lose six more over Thanksgiving for a Dec 1 appt, and at least ten more during the two week diet or he will cancel surgery. I have already spent 30K on fulfilling his requirements so I can't stop now. The surgery will be another 19K. I have been working towards this since February and have been struggling. I inspect food service facilities all day every work day. I have gotten the "you must not want this enough" and my day is ruled by the scale (am required to weigh daily) and I get so stressed out over it all. Reading through here it seems most at my weight aren't required to lose this much. I am self pay so it isn't due to insurance requirements. Any insight?

Is it too late to find someone else? I understand how you feel because I went through something similar. There were some very, very dark days.

I wasn't "at goal" 9 days before surgery. I did some unhealthy things and was 2 pounds below the goal at the last weigh in but I had no energy, was depressed, very weak, and felt hopeless.

Truly, I really do know how you feel.

Sarah if you would like to talk I'm here hun. No one should go through what you are going through. My surgeon is truly a blessing, he cares so much.

Thank you so much for your support. It really means a lot to me. Most people here don't know I'm doing this so not much support from them.

I understand the feeling buy this is life changing for a healthier you. Look at as Test. You have to have will power of saying NO to certain foods and not eating until you feel full. I think this is a great app that helps people and not feel like someone is judging you. Take it one step at a time. If you need someone to go thru this journey with I'm here you can inbox me anytime. Have you been given a date yet. We will do this togather. I love food but I love me and my kids more and that's my inspiration. @@InspectorJensen

Thank you. You are right. I need to frame this differently in my mind. And yes, my children need me more than I need any food out there. My date is Dec 19. Any tips for blocking out the food and smells that I am around so often? I do great during Breakfast and usually lunch. It's when I am tired and weak at the end of the day that I seem to be most at risk to giving in to food. I work 7-5 then work on my Masters in the evening. I have 4 kids so when I'm cooking for them I fall into temptation in between work and school. Thanks so much for your help.

Is it too late to find someone else? I understand how you feel because I went through something similar. There were some very, very dark days.

I wasn't "at goal" 9 days before surgery. I did some unhealthy things and was 2 pounds below the goal at the last weigh in but I had no energy, was depressed, very weak, and felt hopeless.

Truly, I really do know how you feel.

Yes, as I do have a date scheduled and all has been paid. As bad as it sounds, it helps to hear from someone who has faced similar struggles. I have tried the 600-800 calories he wants me to consume a day and between being around the food and not having energy for my fairly active job and endless competing demands, I find myself amidst those dark days. I just need to make it happen, one way or another. I wish I had the motivation I had in the beginning. It's like I've ran out of steam.

When I woke up from surgery it was the first time in a while I truly felt at peace.

Leading up to it, I wasn't sure my boyfriend would stay with me. I avoided family and friends because I internalized alot of my struggles even from those I'm closest to. All the nutrition appointments were in a group setting with alot of people so it's not like I could reach out there. And I'm not sure if you feel the same but I felt like there were so many threats that I was scared to ask questions for fear of cancellation or postponement.

I feel your pain more than you know. I'm sure there are others who can relate.

When I woke up from surgery it was the first time in a while I truly felt at peace.

Leading up to it, I wasn't sure my boyfriend would stay with me. I avoided family and friends because I internalized alot of my struggles even from those I'm closest to. All the nutrition appointments were in a group setting with alot of people so it's not like I could reach out there. And I'm not sure if you feel the same but I felt like there were so many threats that I was scared to ask questions for fear of cancellation or postponement.

I feel your pain more than you know. I'm sure there are others who can relate.

Thank you for sharing that about your struggles. I truly hope that feel that peace too. It would be nice not feeling ravenous. I have expressed concerns, but they don't really listen. Their solution is to avoid fast food places so that I "don't remember what it was like the last time I had ______." But that isn't realistic. I've put a lot of work and sacrifice into getting where I am today, so I'm not about to give that up. My biggest motivation for losing the weight in general is that I will be eligible for positions in upper level public health that require the individual to be height and weight proportionate. No, I have dieted tons and don't like being heavy, but I never hated myself for it like I have since I have been on the track for the surgery. Nothing I can say or do will make them understand or care about my challenges. Whatever I lose, is never good enough. If I was great at keeping the weight off long term, I wouldn't need the surgery. They first told me I would have surgery in August and kept putting me off because of one more test, but I really believe it was done just to punish me for not losing enough weight. Ok, I'm rambling now. Thanks for listening.