Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I've reached week 6 post op. Husband and I decided last night to grill a steak. I chose a very lean NY strip and trimmed all the fat.

I have NOT had red meat since just before pre-op diet started back in September. Cooked it rare (overdone meats don't go down well for me).

O.M.G.

I thought I had died and went straight to heaven. I took very small bites. And could eat only 2.5 oz. It was so delicious!! I felt like my body must have been craving it, because while eating and after I had zero discomfort and actually felt really good physically.

I am not an advocate for eating lots of red meat. I prefer fish and chicken and even tofu. But sweet Jesus. The steak was just about better than, well you know... ;)

Told my husband we should fire up that grill even couple weeks!!!

Edited to add; Please don't try steak until you are cleared by your team! I was cleared to give it a try.

Edited by The New Kel

I'm so jealous. I'm in my fourth month and cannot keep down beef--not even ground beef. You're so fortunate!

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I ate pork and beef much more than chicken at first. It's fatty and it goes down SO MUCH easier. LOVE the stuff, though beef is very dense and I eat too fast and well... take your time because it's not as nice on the way back up. :/ I will be 4 yrs out in Dec and just a few weeks ago I'd eaten some beef too fast and thought I might need to spend some time in the bathroom but I made it thru.

I ate pork and beef much more than chicken at first. It's fatty and it goes down SO MUCH easier. LOVE the stuff, though beef is very dense and I eat too fast and well... take your time because it's not as nice on the way back up. :/ I will be 4 yrs out in Dec and just a few weeks ago I'd eaten some beef too fast and thought I might need to spend some time in the bathroom but I made it thru.

Makes sense that because beef is fattier than chicken and fish it goes down easier. It will be a treat for me every couple weeks. It was soooo good :P I'm all for higher quality steak since I only eat a couple ounces anyway.

Haven't tried ground beef yet. Has not sounded appealing!

Edited by The New Kel

I like red meat but I keep getting gout so I cut it out to try to help reduce my gout.

I rarely tolerate ground beef, but steak is glorious. I'd eat it every day for sure. I, too, eat it rare and can only eat 2-3 oz, but it's delish.

When I'm craving steak but I don't like how they look at the store, I marinate and grill portabellas. Salt, pepper, lots of garlic... Not the same but great texture and a bit easier to tolerate.

I just reintroduced meat yesterday, albeit puréed meat.< /p>

I puréed a pound of ground beef and a pound of bacon and made a weird chili Soup that is scratching my itch for spicy (loaded it with cayenne).

It's so glorious to be eating meat again, even though I'm not getting any texture whatsoever. I can eat 5 teaspoons max before feeling like I just ate Christmas dinner, which is down from about a cup of puréed vegetable based Soups I made for full liquids.

I'm into week 3 now, and braced for the legendary stall that is about to set in. If I lose - great! If not, the only sweating I'll be doing is from the 5 alarm chili!

Your post made me smile.

Glad you are getting the good meat.

I marinated some t-bones yessaday in a homebrew marinade and grilled them last night. Was told they were on point.

I had mine this morning. Sliced cold with a hard boiled egg and some cheddar. Dayum good eats.

I rarely tolerate ground beef, but steak is glorious. I'd eat it every day for sure. I, too, eat it rare and can only eat 2-3 oz, but it's delish.

When I'm craving steak but I don't like how they look at the store, I marinate and grill portabellas. Salt, pepper, lots of garlic... Not the same but great texture and a bit easier to tolerate.

Im the exact opposite. I can handle ground or finely chopped beef, but not steak. The few times I have tried a bite of my husbands at resturant, i always have issues. He just looks at me with a half pity/half resigned look and hands me his napkin so I can spit it out.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

I can't each much.. maybe 2 oz but steak every now and again is lush :)

I love portabellas!! marinated and grilled sounds awesome. Hmmm...perhaps for football Sunday tomorrow. :)

Your post made me smile.

Glad you are getting the good meat.

I marinated some t-bones yessaday in a homebrew marinade and grilled them last night. Was told they were on point.

I had mine this morning. Sliced cold with a hard boiled egg and some cheddar. Dayum good eats.

I love grilling! It just ups the taste of everything. Luckily I live where its pretty warm all year round so grilling can happen any day!