Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks Post-Op Questions and Concerns.

Hi everyone I have a couple questions and concerns I wanted to share with you guys in hope of some clarity and answers :)

questions:

1. did you guys feel any sort of depression? or more sensitive than before?

2. how do you deal with hunger pains? i think mine are stronger than before.

3.do you guys feel regret from sleeve?

Concerns:

I am able to drink 4 oz of Water with out (Choking) lol is that normal? and if im not paying attention I can eat and drink at the same time yesterday i drank a regular cup of Water with no problems and i got soo scared

I can actually eat SOME solids yes I tried..:(

( i had a cheese stick day 5 I was having a bad day and day on Halloween i had a small chicken tender)

i did feel stuffed after and was good for the rest of the night but it doesn't seem right, like i shouldn't be able to eat this.

my fabulous surgeon decided to staple me shut instead of using sutures i still have them in and its driving me crazy..any one else?

and lastly i cant find anything that tells me exactly what i should be eating in amounts i know puree and broths and soft stuff but how much of it?..

I honestly feel I am doing this all wrong and my sleeve will fail and i have so much pressure from my mother and mother in law cause they both got it before me and are complete success stories and i took care of both so i know something is wrong they couldn't do half the things I can

sorry about the rant but im so close to giving up on this sleeve.. :(

Hi everyone I have a couple questions and concerns I wanted to share with you guys in hope of some clarity and answers :)

questions:

1. did you guys feel any sort of depression? or more sensitive than before? I have heard that this is normal, due to hormone changes and the loss of our best comfort friend, food. But it's temporary!

2. how do you deal with hunger pains? i think mine are stronger than before. I was ravenously hungry for two weeks post surgery. It will subside! It really does go away. Sometimes it takes weeks.

3.do you guys feel regret from sleeve? Nope! Not at all.

Concerns:

I am able to drink 4 oz of Water with out (Choking) lol is that normal? and if im not paying attention I can eat and drink at the same time yesterday i drank a regular cup of Water with no problems and i got soo scared. Water and liquids pretty much go right through the sleeve so don't be concerned about drinking too much. I was able to drink 6-8 oz of water at a time my first week post op.

I can actually eat SOME solids yes I tried.. :(

( i had a cheese stick day 5 I was having a bad day and day on Halloween i had a small chicken tender)

i did feel stuffed after and was good for the rest of the night but it doesn't seem right, like i shouldn't be able to eat this. I would wait to test yourself until you get cleared by your doc. You risk injury.

my fabulous surgeon decided to staple me shut instead of using sutures i still have them in and its driving me crazy..any one else? I have dissolvable sutures at the incision sites.

and lastly i cant find anything that tells me exactly what i should be eating in amounts i know puree and broths and soft stuff but how much of it?..Start by getting your Protein and water requirements in. If you are reaching your Protein goal daily, then the amount of puree food you eat is really not important. If you are getting your protein and water requirements in, it is doubtful that you would be able to overeat on purees.

I honestly feel I am doing this all wrong and my sleeve will fail and i have so much pressure from my mother and mother in law cause they both got it before me and are complete success stories and i took care of both so i know something is wrong they couldn't do half the things I can. Everyone is different, our bodies behave differently. Keep in touch with your NUT and surgeon team, and let them know of any concerns. Try not to compare, just focus on you! :)

Edited by The New Kel

Sounds like you need to get in touch with the dietitian on staff at your doctors office. Most of the time they can provide you with a list of foods and quantities. If you already have a nutritionist don't hesitate to call them that's what they're there for. None of us are perfect and they don't expect us to be. Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I should probably keep my comments to myself regarding not following your surgeon's plan for post op. It seems just incredible to me to disregard medical advice and start eating solid food just 2 weeks after having most of your stomach removed. If radical surgery isn't an incentive to follow the plan, what IS an incentive?

But I digress.

Regarding the emotional rollercoaster, fat cells were previously thought of as sort of stagnant (it was at one time believed that once fat went in, it stayed there until it was burned created "old, dangerous" fat).

That is totally debunked. Fat circulates in and out of your cells all the times, constantly rearranging and being replaced with new fats. It has also been discovered that fat that is extremely hormonally active.

All kinds of fat soluble hormones end up stored in the fat, inside the cells. Estrogen is one of them. In men, estrogens stored in fat cells often result in some "feminizing" features, such as developing breasts or "manboobs" and softening of chin lines.

In women, a sudden abdundance of estrogen is equally disturbing. But in different ways.

Excess estrogen greatly diminishes sex drive in men and women.

Estrogen dominance in women is linked to extreme rage, sometimes violent behaviour and extreme emotional volatility or becoming emotionally labile.

Estrogen dominance can mimic the symptoms of some personality disorders, like Borderline Personalty Disorder and antisocial tendencies.

It's important to have someone to talk to, and activities to distract while your hormonally active fat cells are being depleted and all the pent up fury within is being released as well. It can be very overwhelming, and not just for the patient.

Concerns:

I am able to drink 4 oz of Water with out (Choking) lol is that normal? and if im not paying attention I can eat and drink at the same time yesterday i drank a regular cup of Water with no problems and i got soo scared

i did feel stuffed after and was good for the rest of the night but it doesn't seem right, like i shouldn't be able to eat this.

my fabulous surgeon decided to staple me shut instead of using sutures i still have them in and its driving me crazy..any one else?

and lastly i cant find anything that tells me exactly what i should be eating in amounts i know puree and broths and soft stuff but how much of it?..

I honestly feel I am doing this all wrong and my sleeve will fail and i have so much pressure from my mother and mother in law cause they both got it before me and are complete success stories and i took care of both so i know something is wrong they couldn't do half the things I can

You have every right to feel emotional. You just completely changed your body and life! After my surgery two-plus years ago, I learned every day was a little different. Some days I was emotional and some days I wasn't. That's okay.

Hunger will come and go. You may have it now but that may change. I've reached the point that I don't get hungry. That's great, right? Well, the downside is that I no longer get thirsty. That's not great and something I have to manage. That's me. Your mileage may vary.

The amount of food you can tolerate depends on the volume of your stomach. Odds are it'll be somewhere around four ounces.

Many of us felt regret temporarily. You're so close to giving up on your sleeve? No you're not! You've just gotten started!

Many of us think we're doing it wrong. Please don't compare yourself to your mother and your mother in law. You aren't either of those people - and neither of them are you! You're on your own journey! Good luck!

questions:

1. did you guys feel any sort of depression? or more sensitive than before? I have heard that this is normal, due to hormone changes and the loss of our best comfort friend, food. But it's temporary!

2. how do you deal with hunger pains? i think mine are stronger than before. I was ravenously hungry for two weeks post surgery. It will subside! It really does go away. Sometimes it takes weeks.

3.do you guys feel regret from sleeve? Nope! Not at all.

Concerns:

I am able to drink 4 oz of Water with out (Choking) lol is that normal? and if im not paying attention I can eat and drink at the same time yesterday i drank a regular cup of Water with no problems and i got soo scared. Water and liquids pretty much go right through the sleeve so don't be concerned about drinking too much. I was able to drink 6-8 oz of water at a time my first week post op.

i did feel stuffed after and was good for the rest of the night but it doesn't seem right, like i shouldn't be able to eat this. I would wait to test yourself until you get cleared by your doc. You risk injury.

my fabulous surgeon decided to staple me shut instead of using sutures i still have them in and its driving me crazy..any one else? I have dissolvable sutures at the incision sites.

and lastly i cant find anything that tells me exactly what i should be eating in amounts i know puree and broths and soft stuff but how much of it?..Start by getting your Protein and water requirements in. If you are reaching your Protein goal daily, then the amount of puree food you eat is really not important. If you are getting your protein and water requirements in, it is doubtful that you would be able to overeat on purees.

I honestly feel I am doing this all wrong and my sleeve will fail and i have so much pressure from my mother and mother in law cause they both got it before me and are complete success stories and i took care of both so i know something is wrong they couldn't do half the things I can. Everyone is different, our bodies behave differently. Keep in touch with your NUT and surgeon team, and let them know of any concerns. Try not to compare, just focus on you! :)

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVISE I AM GOING TO START ON THE PROTEIN MORE!

I should probably keep my comments to myself regarding not following your surgeon's plan for post op. It seems just incredible to me to disregard medical advice and start eating solid food just 2 weeks after having most of your stomach removed. If radical surgery isn't an incentive to follow the plan, what IS an incentive?

I WAS REALLY THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID HERE AND TBH I NEVER HAD PROBLEMS BEING OVER WEIGHT IT WAS MY FAMILY AROUND ME ALWAYS SAYING HOW MUCH MORE HAPPIER I WOULD BE I WASNT UNHEALTHY I WASNT LONELY I THINK THIS IS WHY I AM NOT MOTIVATED AND YOU ARE 100% RIGHT IF THIS DIDNT GET ME MOTIVATED WHAT WILL...

But I digress.

Regarding the emotional rollercoaster, fat cells were previously thought of as sort of stagnant (it was at one time believed that once fat went in, it stayed there until it was burned created "old, dangerous" fat).

That is totally debunked. Fat circulates in and out of your cells all the times, constantly rearranging and being replaced with new fats. It has also been discovered that fat that is extremely hormonally active.

All kinds of fat soluble hormones end up stored in the fat, inside the cells. Estrogen is one of them. In men, estrogens stored in fat cells often result in some "feminizing" features, such as developing breasts or "manboobs" and softening of chin lines.

In women, a sudden abdundance of estrogen is equally disturbing. But in different ways.

Excess estrogen greatly diminishes sex drive in men and women.

Estrogen dominance in women is linked to extreme rage, sometimes violent behaviour and extreme emotional volatility or becoming emotionally labile.

Estrogen dominance can mimic the symptoms of some personality disorders, like Borderline Personalty Disorder and antisocial tendencies.

It's important to have someone to talk to, and activities to distract while your hormonally active fat cells are being depleted and all the pent up fury within is being released as well. It can be very overwhelming, and not just for the patient.

YEAH MY HUSBAND WAS MY TO-GO PERSON BUT SINCE SURGERY WE HAVENT BEEN TOO GOOD AND EVERYONE ELSE I CAN COMPARES ME TO MY MOTHER OR MOTHER IN LAW..BUT THANK YOU I APPRECIATE YOUR HONEST ANSWER.

Concerns:

You have every right to feel emotional. You just completely changed your body and life! After my surgery two-plus years ago, I learned every day was a little different. Some days I was emotional and some days I wasn't. That's okay.

Hunger will come and go. You may have it now but that may change. I've reached the point that I don't get hungry. That's great, right? Well, the downside is that I no longer get thirsty. That's not great and something I have to manage. That's me. Your mileage may vary.

The amount of food you can tolerate depends on the volume of your stomach. Odds are it'll be somewhere around four ounces.

Many of us felt regret temporarily. You're so close to giving up on your sleeve? No you're not! You've just gotten started!

Many of us think we're doing it wrong. Please don't compare yourself to your mother and your mother in law. You aren't either of those people - and neither of them are you! You're on your own journey! Good luck!

THANK YOU, I AM I NEED TO GET BACK ON TRACK WITH THIS. AND HAVE MY OWN JOURNEY LIKE YOU SAY AND NOT COMPARE MYSELF TO THEM.

Hey there! I'll throw my two-cents in, although I might be echoing what most people have already replied. I'm 4 months out from RNY....

questions:

I'm a pretty emotional person (with a past of depression), so this was something I tried to prepare myself for. It's definitely 100% normal to feel emotional and confused at times -- we just had major surgery! :) More recently it's hit me, now that my body has changed quite a bit (down 85lbs). It feels like coming out of a 20-year high/addiction for me. Everything is more quiet and calm, now that I don't think about food as much. It's making me more emotional, because I can't run to food for comfort. Now all those feelings have to be FELT, which can be a rough transition. Hang in there! And if you need to talk to someone -- DO IT. I think seeing a therapist is the #1 thing that has helped me, besides surgery.

I don't feel hunger pains from my stomach, but I find myself saying "OMG I'm STARVING" and then realizing .. .wait, no I'm not. It's a weird game my head plays. Are you sure you're having real hunger pains? Could it be "head hunger" from past habits? Just something to think about!

Concerns:

Totally normal. Sip sip sip. You're only two weeks post surgery! I think it took me close to a month or more before I could drink more than 8oz in an hour. But I also had RNY, so that could be very different. I wouldn't push it too much, otherwise you may stretch out your stomach over time and reverse all the work you're doing now.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to stick to your doctor's / nutritionsists recommendations. And without sounding too harsh -- you'll only fail at this if you let yourself fail! YOU GOT THIS! :) Try to stick to the program, and you'll be just fine. Trust the process. For my particular plan, at two weeks out, I was lucky to get more than 2oz down in 30 minutes. Just go slow, eat SOFT foods, and focus on that Protein. I promise everything else will fall into place! I've seen many friends fail because they weren't ready to comitt to the process and tried to skirt around the rules. Don't give up already! <3

Sounds like you need to get in touch with the dietitian on staff at your doctors office. Most of the time they can provide you with a list of foods and quantities. If you already have a nutritionist don't hesitate to call them that's what they're there for. None of us are perfect and they don't expect us to be. Good Luck!

​I AM SO EMBARRASSED TO CALL THEM CAUSE THIS IS MY FAULT I WAS NEGLECTFUL AND WANTED TO TEST MY SLEEVE.

​I AM SO EMBARRASSED TO CALL THEM CAUSE THIS IS MY FAULT I WAS NEGLECTFUL AND WANTED TO TEST MY SLEEVE.

Don't be embarrassed! You'll be SO glad you took care of it right away in the long run. They're used to seeing ALL kinds of people at all different stages. Many of them probably wait until it's too late. You can do this! :)

Don't be embarrassed they are your support team! They want to make sure you have a successful recovery. If nothing else at least call for a printout of approved foods and amounts for the stage your in. If they've already given you one you can just say you missed placed it. That way they won't have yo know about your moment of weakness and you'll still get the info you need. YOU CAN DO THIS

questions:

Concerns:

I am able to drink 4 oz of Water with out (Choking) lol is that normal? and if im not paying attention I can eat and drink at the same time yesterday i drank a regular cup of water with no problems and i got soo scared

If 5 days out was Halloween then you're 10 days out? I was on purees at this point and could eat about 2 oz, or 1/4 cup at a sitting.

I could basically gulp water at one week out.

I also had staples but didn't have any problem with them.

You can't really give up, lol. 85% of your stomach is gone forever!!

Yes, cheese sticks and chicken tenders at day 5 was probably a big mistake. I'm not cleared for anything like chicken tenders until week 8. However, you need to talk to your team and tell them. You broke a rule and you're definitely not the first. You need to get a list of appropriate foods and amounts!

I'm shocked at how many people got so little post op info from their doctors.

I had staples too. One of my bandages came off and I saw the staples and it freaked me out. I did everything I could to keep the other ones on and kept bandaids over the exposed one cause it creeped me out. Lol

HW 385 SW 359 CW 338 Sleeved 10/5/16