Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back Pain

Just wondering if any others are experiencing back pain with the weight loss.

I am down 55lbs and before the surgery I was wearing a 42DD now I am in a 38DD but just lately seems the more I try to sit up straight or sit for long periods of time I get a terrible pain in the middle of my back about where my bra strap goes either on the left or right side of my spine. Does anyone else have this and if so what do you do to get relief? I wish I could say that I could not try to sit for long periods but I work at a desk all day but I do take breaks and walk around, I have tried adjusting my chair through out the day but some days I have to lay on the floor for awhile. I did see my chiro on Friday and that did seem to help that day but the pain is back. Any Suggestions Please

Let me Thank you all now for the support that I read from Day to Day.

You know that I used to get ocassional lower back pain, but since I had my surgery I have constant back pain, right were you described it, it is like a burning pain, not an ache. I have wondered how this is related to the surgery it is right in the middle of my back, kind of where the back of the bra is. It is strange, I know that it is somehow related to the surgery and I am afraid to take pills for the pain, I tried crushing some tylenol and taking it, but it tasted horrible, I will never do that again, unless I am dying from pain. It tasted awful. Well if anyone else has experienced this, please give some advice.

Well last night was a little better I adjusted my chair in the late afternoon and on the drive home adjusted my seat. The ladies here at work think it might be my bra maybe I need more support but I already have underwire and I seem to be doing ok up front. I do use this blue gel when it gets really bad it is like Icy Hot but that is only short term. I will try Tylenol did not know it came in liquid for adults. Wow where have I been.

Jack,

My Chiro did tell me as I lose the weight my body will start to re adjust and of course I will feel the change and need to be adjusted more. I have another appt the end of this month with him. The pain started about last week never remember having it before the surgery.

Nancy,

I never thought it could be that I was full but now that I think back It did start after lunch I will have to watch and notate when it starts and when I have eaten to rule it in or out. Then watch how much I eat. Thought I was doing good with portions.

Thank you all so much.

Get this checked out right away, if you still have a gallbladder.

It might surprise you but intermittent back pain that you know is not injury related is a strong sign of gallstones. I used to get these occasional backaches, and then a year or so later, I would wake up in the middle of the night with horrendous backpain. Nothing would fix it--not analgesics, heating pads, etc. Sometimes it would last just a minute or two; other times it lasted hours.

I had no other symptoms. It was in the middle of my back right where you describe. I finally went to the doctor and immediately suspected gallbladder and sent me for an ultrasound and sure enough, I had tons of gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed.

I had lost 80 pounds a few years prior on a Weight Watchers diet. It is very very common when reducing food intake to have gallbladder issues.

Don't wait with this. I have no idea if there is early treatment for gallstones, but they do have diet recommendations.

The fact that you have this around eating makes me doubly suspicious. That is one of the most common times for gallbladder attacks, and at night.

Hope you feel better soon!

I am going to make a appt with my PCP and see what she thinks of my symptons and ask her if she can get my gall bladder checked out. I just had lunch and took it really slow this time so far so good.

Thank you

hi

I know this is a very old thread but I am still battling the back pain and uncomfortable squashed feeling in the afternoon.I have been complaining on and off about this since the op.My doctor dramatically threw his arms in the air and said it is abnormal but didnt offer any advice or selution for the problem.He just said then he cannot fill me and I said that would be the day....I need to lose weight.....

I would describe the pain exactly like all of you did.Only in afternoon after I've eaten (even when I eat very little..) and it definately goes with this sensation of been squeezed around my stomach (like the bra is 6 sizes to tight....)

Anyone still get this or did it go away?

I am so paranoid by now.It just isnt going away.It might be better for a day and then it is back.The spasms I had in my esophagus is mostly gone.

I just worry about erosion.....

Thanks

My pain went away. Now if I over eat I will get it again but it is very seldom. And the time frame you are is around the time it started for me. I was banded in July and the pain started in Nov. I started to really chew chew chew and then stop and wait. You might be one that has restriction with out a fill.. How are you in that area??

hi

I was quite restricted until 5 weeks.I have a 9cc band and they sometimes put some saline in when they do the banding.I have also had a fill of 1,5cc the 11th of June.He wanted to put more but I said no.....first need to get used to it......

I can eat exactly 100grams or 3.1 oz. of Protein with about 3/4 cup vegetables then Im full.I really do this thing by the book.

I have had this feeling from the start and it really bothers me sometimes.I think if I just know that it is normal then I will try to make peace with it.However some days it stops me from doing what I usually do to just sit and take off the bra to feel more comfortable....

Thanks for replying.I still hope this will resolve by itself.I will eat slower and chew more....

Try eating less, I know, how much less can you go. Just eat the meat and see how you feel? Try the Veggies at another time. I had to experiment alot.

My band is tighter in the Am but come afternoon I can eat more protien.

I'm glad I found this thread... For about a week I've had horrible back pain... I told my friend that I was going to come to lapbandtalk.com and see if I could find any answers... My pain,however, is not in the center of my back.. it is in my back but on my right side. This is my "heavy" side... I call my hanging side my "sidecar"... during the school year I usually wear a girdle thing... I'm wondering if I'm pulling at my back muscles by not wearing it now that I'm on summer vacation... but I also wonder if it is because of the weight shift with the pounds coming off... I don't even know what kind of doctor to go to? Should I see my regular doctor, the surgeon, a chiropractor.. JACK... what do you think? I've never done the chiropractor thing... anybody else with this kind of pain?

Get this checked out right away, if you still have a gallbladder.

It might surprise you but intermittent back pain that you know is not injury related is a strong sign of gallstones.

I finally went to the doctor and immediately suspected gallbladder and sent me for an ultrasound and sure enough, I had tons of gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed.

The fact that you have this around eating makes me doubly suspicious. That is one of the most common times for gallbladder attacks, and at night.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hey Mary, didn't you just end up having your gall bladder removed? I am so certain, I'm posting this before checking! Hope I'm not wrong?! If so, Violet was right on, huh?

Things that make ya go hmmmm...

hi

I started taking Pantoloc yesterday.When I went for my fill the dr prescribed it for the reflux that he actually said I couldnt possibly have......

Well,the back ache didnt return last night.Also the squeezed tightness around my midrif was much better.I spoke to a friend ( a surgeon,not bariatric though..) he says I should have myself tested for H Pylori.Some of the problems I have been experiencing from the start suggests to him that I might be positive for that....

So,I will contact the dr and have a test done.

Char,I could clealy feel that I was having a refered pain form my stomach.I dont know what could be causing your pain on the right.I think it must be muscle or "frame" related.

When I lose weight I ususally have a certain amount of back ache.My dr once said that the fat sometimes support the spinal colomn and when you lose weight and not have strong muscles then it might cause back ache.Exercise and strong tummy and back muscles will help with that......

I sometimes think if only I could take Mobic or Voltaren it would change my life right now......(I also have a lot of joint pain that I cannot treat now.....) so I keep fantasizing about effective pain control...isnt that pathetic?

Have a great day.

You know you are right on with the H-Pyori I had it back in March and yes Some of my symptoms was the reflux and pain in my chest. Then when I had pain on my right side it was my gall bladder that was removed the 26th of May around 2 1'2 weeks after the first pain epsiode. I will bump up both post so that you and Char can read them if you have not already.