Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cheated on optifast diet

Im scheduled for a novermber 15 procedure; started the Optifast diet on the 17 of october... on day 18 i ate half of a ham and cheese sandwich... then later the same that evening half of a PBJ... then the following day one biscuit one small piece of sausage and a bite of scrambled eggs... I have 4 weeks until the surgery... did I just ruin my chances by not following the diet strictly will the docs know and make me postpone surgery? Nervous..

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Stop now and get back on track. You really must focus on the self-discipline that's required to follow through with this part of your surgical prep, it's important. It's not just important in terms of a successful surgery and recovery, but moreso for your MENTAL preparation for what's coming. You simply cannot be in the mindset of cheating anymore. Period. You will not have that option after surgery and if you try, bad things are going to happen. Let go of your old habits, it's time now to focus on reprogramming your brain and that includes maintaining your discipline, as hard as it is (and I know the pre-op diet is hard, it might be one of the hardest parts to this whole thing...but it's got a time limit on it).

This one lapse isn't going to cost you the surgery, no. But when you do something like this, you open the door to MORE lapses.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

@pb1961 I like the new name you gave porkchopexpress. lol

Absolutely agree with porkchopexpress. I cheated a couple times as well and someone advised me of the same thing. You have to really want this surgery and follow the guidelines for success. I'm a month out and the puréed diet is very hard. There have been post op days where I've sat and cried thinking "what did I do to myself?" I can't express enough how important the mental preparation is. Sticking to your Optifast will help you after surgery. I had a 2 week Optifast diet and my surgeon took me off after a week because my blood sugar was too low so I got to eat the healthy solid foods up until 2 days prior and boy do I wish I had been able to train myself on the Optifast. You stick to it. You're doing great and you will do great after your surgery. Good luck to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi, I seen someone post about this book on another thread the other day and it's very informative and helps you really understand the changes you have to make and to be more aware of what's going on in your head and the life long changes that have to be made..

The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/0976852659/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_wDIcybM6PV0Z7

Munky

Im scheduled for a novermber 15 procedure; started the Optifast diet on the 17 of october... on day 18 i ate half of a ham and cheese sandwich... then later the same that evening half of a PBJ... then the following day one biscuit one small piece of sausage and a bite of scrambled eggs... I have 4 weeks until the surgery... did I just ruin my chances by not following the diet strictly will the docs know and make me postpone surgery? Nervous..

There is a reason the dr puts on a pre op diet... because of being over weight our liver become very bulky because of all the fat we consume... the pre op diet helps u loose the excess fat of oil n any other fats that is stuck in the liver ... when u follow the diet the liver becomes light and does not interrupt the stomach when the dr is trying to get to it during surgery... if u don't follow the diet the liver will remain heavy and the dr will have to physically move it out of he way ... this will not only increase the duration of the surgery and cause extra issues for the dr during the recovery time it will also cause more discomfort and pain cuz the liver will be tampered with.. you have to understand that this is a major surgery and u have to help the dr make it as smooth as possible and want to have a very normal recovery... because at the end of the day after the surgery it's only u who will have the suffer the pain and will later reap the benefits...

I had to learn this for myself and control my food intake because it was the first time I was having any kind of procedure and I wanted to have a normal recovery and didn't want the surgery to be extended more than an hour and a half...

I hope I was able to motivate you... I know it's very hard but tbh the hardest part is the first few months... we all just have to be strong...

Surgery date 27/09/16

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

.. And stop cheating.. You're stronger than that.. I've been on a liquid +plus no/low carb veggies for 11 days and "cheated" once, with spaghetti squash, which turned out to not really be a cheat anyways LoL.. I'm a stubborn person.. I quit smoking cold turkey back in February to be able to have this surgery, so I told myself I can be just as stubborn with this 4 wk pre-surgery diet.. YOU GOT THIS!

Munky

Edited by FunkyMunkyBrat

Please dont try to rationalize what you did and could have done was actually not that bad. This is to start training your mind a new relationship with food. Because after surgery if you gondown that road of what I could have eaten but only ate such and such, you will put your body at risk and not be successful.

You will get a tool with surgery, but the real fight is in your head. Trust me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I lost 8 pounds even though I cheated, and that was in one week where as in accordance with the diet I need to lose 4 a week... and I know I can lose way more before my surgery... they want me to lose as much weight as possible but mostly off my liver correct?