Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op and Depression??

Was banded Aug. 17th in Toronto. Everything is pretty good. Down 19 pounds since preop. Am on antidepressants. How are some of you dealing with your depression? I am getting down and feel I have to fight to stay positive. Am on pureed, but am having solids, just cut up into a million pieces. Whats getting me down about this situation, is waiting for my first fill - Oct. 1st. I am not hungry, but feel I could eat anything. Am pretty good with my portions, but am real frustrated about the fill dates. Should I call the clinic and tell them? Help....:help:

If you will feet better, call them. You can't rush the fill because it is very important that your insides heal.. Maybe you need to up your meds. Talk to your family doc.

You are suffering right now with an influx of hormones into your system as you begin losing weight/fat quickly. Some people get super grouchy--others sad. It is kind of like a long lasting PMS---very moody.

Eventually your body regulates, and your dosage should be ok. Stay on top of it, especially if you do increase your meds.

Fat cells store estrogen, so as you lose the fat cells the hormone is dumped into your body, and every other hormone your body produces has to go in to overdrive to figure out how to react, trying to be balanced. Since you already have issues that way, it may seem even worse.

Hang in there, it does level out, and you feel better. I turned into a bawl baby for awhile, look at me wrong, and I'd cry! Just about 3 weeks after my banding, my DH was diagnosed with heart trouble, and it was very difficult to take it all in, and try to remain strong. But I did it and so can you!!!

Kat

You are suffering right now with an influx of hormones into your system as you begin losing weight/fat quickly. Some people get super grouchy--others sad. It is kind of like a long lasting PMS---very moody.

Eventually your body regulates, and your dosage should be ok. Stay on top of it, especially if you do increase your meds.

Fat cells store estrogen, so as you lose the fat cells the hormone is dumped into your body, and every other hormone your body produces has to go in to overdrive to figure out how to react, trying to be balanced. Since you already have issues that way, it may seem even worse.

Hang in there, it does level out, and you feel better. I turned into a bawl baby for awhile, look at me wrong, and I'd cry! Just about 3 weeks after my banding, my DH was diagnosed with heart trouble, and it was very difficult to take it all in, and try to remain strong. But I did it and so can you!!!

Kat

Thanks Kat, I have been so emotional these past few weeks and that is not like me at all. Your answer really helped me and Rose thank you for asking the question because I though I was alone on this. I am an emotional wreck, I am happy I am loosing weight, but I will still cry at anything, and I mean anything.

I am on antidepressants too... I have to take them for life as I am BIPOLAR...

But I understand that waiting for that 1st fill is very ANTI CLIMACTIC!!

I was not depressed but could EAT anything and was frustrated with that.

Just try and focus on how far you have come and that you will have lots of 1st's to look forward too..

1) The first compliment - "are you losing weight??? You look fabulous"

2) THe lower grocery bill... what will you do with the extra money!!!

3) Shopping for REGULAR sized clothes

4) Going out with your best (skinny) friend and NOT feeling like you don't belong -- cause you'll look just as great

5) LOWER cholesteral, blood sugar numbers

6) no pain in your joints

7) THis will be your LAST 'Heavy" summer!!!

8) Better time having sex!!

9) Never gaining this weight back - EVER!!

If you practise being grateful for at least ONE thing every day... then write it down...

Each day add to the list ... soon you will see that there are more Possitives in your life than NEgatives and your depression will ease.

I don't like to make it sound simplistic but this strategy works well for me.

Best of luck to you & ((((hugs))))

:kiss

peaches9,

Thanks for replying to my post. I feel like Oct. 1st is such an eternity. Few people have noticed my tummy a little smaller...and when I mentioned it to my hubby, he didnt say one word. Meaning, what are they talking about???? He hasnt been very supportive. Infact, because we had to selfpay for this, he has already thrown in my face the pricetag. My kids have been awesome - but my hubby is really getting me down. In terms of intimacy, he wont go near me because of the damn port. He is so full of it..... He is a wonderful man, but in some departments he needs a refund policy! I am also getting frustrated because I am still at losing 19 pounds at one month. I know I should not compare, but I just cant see how I can lose 80 pounds by next summer ???? To me, it is an impossible dream. I have upped my meds, but I am already at the highest dose. I feel like he does not believe in me. When I told him how much I had lost, he said:

"You've lost it before"....!!!!!! What the HEll???? How negative is that. I am really struggling with this..I hope getting my first fill will help me lose some more....

Rose, to be losing, and not have any fill, is an accomplishment in and of itself. It is simply dieting as we have all done before. But just you wait, til you begin the fill process, and get to a good level---your DH better watch out, you will change so quickly the mans head will spin, I'd bet on it!!!

Many men have no idea how to handle emotions, of any kind so they resort to the ones that are safe for a man, anger, sarcasm and indifference. I don't believe they feel the way the act a good portion of the time...but it sure makes life difficult. My ex husband, was a nice guy back in the day, but if anything vaguely emotional was said, the sarcasm dripped off of him. My DD says he is still the same....My DH now is more vocal, and willing to talk-he has been my biggest supporter, I am so sorry you don't have that. I bet if your kids are anything like mine, they will not hesitate to rub Dads nose in it a bit when the weight really starts coming off!!!

Hang in there---come and vent anytime!

Kat

I think we all are having a real rollercoaster ride this week. October will come in no time! Trust me. Girl you are well on your way! Don't worry about hubby....when I told mine about the surgery he did not want me to do it (cost, the port issue etc) but I told him that it is too bad. I have to do what I have to do for ME first, then him and my son. I feel I will be a better person emotionally and physically. Do what you have to do for you as you are all you have in the end. As long as up are happy with you that is all that matters. You are well on your way to great things!

Kat817,

Thanks for the reply. I guess the keyword is, well on your way....I dont feel like I am on the way. I feel like I am stuck at this 19 pounds. Maybe I am being dillusional with this first fill? Maybe I am thinking as soon as I get the fill, weight will come off faster? What can I expect with this fill? I have another fill Oct. 16 and then on the 30th. I just would like to know what happens as soon as I get these three fills? Is it slow loss? Continous, or faster??? I am too nervous....Help?

Dear sweetforlife:

Thanks for your reply. I guess there are some intimacy issues. I know I have only lost very little in my journey, but I thought my dh would have had an interest at this point, (get the hint?). I am very dissappointed, its gotten me down. I know it is not me with the problem, it is actually him. He needs to see someone, its just a matter of time. Its not me with the problem, I know. I know there are some issues we have to go through. Thanks for your words of encouragement...Why the hell couldnt this be easier??????

Hi Rose, I don't know if you recall but in another thread we 'met'. I had surgery at TLBC same day as you thus I have my first fill on Oct 1 too. It does seem like an awfully long time away but as another poster said, it will come fast (at least in retrospect it will ). I too have been somewhat more emotional than usual-I'm on antidepressants as well, have been for many, many years. Normally (that would be pre-band) I have a relatively flat mood. That's not necessarily a great way to live life but I've been used to it so these additional emotions are disconcerting to me, to say the least.

I'm very sorry that your husband is not helping the situation. Sometimes men just don't seem to get it. I don't know why. Hopefully as time goes by he'll get on board.

I'm pretty jealous of you that you've lost 19 lbs. since surgery! I've maybe lost 8 lbs. and I'm not tossing back milkshakes or anything. I did do relatively well on the pre-surgery diet so I'm happy with my weight loss overall in the last 5 weeks but a bit disappointed about it specifically in the last 3 weeks since surgery.

I hope your depression eases a bit. As I well know, 'getting happy' is rarely something that is within your total control when you have clinical depression- time (and drugs :wacko:) can help.

I hope we do run into each other on Oct 1 at TLBC. I'd like to meet you.

Liz

peaches9,

Thanks for replying to my post. I feel like Oct. 1st is such an eternity. Few people have noticed my tummy a little smaller...and when I mentioned it to my hubby, he didnt say one word. Meaning, what are they talking about???? He hasnt been very supportive. Infact, because we had to selfpay for this, he has already thrown in my face the pricetag. My kids have been awesome - but my hubby is really getting me down. In terms of intimacy, he wont go near me because of the damn port. He is so full of it..... He is a wonderful man, but in some departments he needs a refund policy! I am also getting frustrated because I am still at losing 19 pounds at one month. I know I should not compare, but I just cant see how I can lose 80 pounds by next summer ???? To me, it is an impossible dream. I have upped my meds, but I am already at the highest dose. I feel like he does not believe in me. When I told him how much I had lost, he said:

"You've lost it before"....!!!!!! What the HEll???? How negative is that. I am really struggling with this..I hope getting my first fill will help me lose some more....

If you DH will not give you the affection and support that you need right now.. give it to YOURSELF. Do something pampering, Candlelit bath(scented of course), buy a pretty new nightie, get a pedicure.. all NICE stuff for YOU... You have lost 19#'s and THAT is awesome... remember until you get all your fills the weight will not DROP off drastically.

YOU WILL be down 80#'s by next summer, if that is your goal.

DH... my comment there is.. if he is similar to my man... he's seen me on 100 diets before.... and I always lose.. but I fail at keeping it off for any considerable length of time.. put it all back on again and more...

That's why I NEEDED this LB.. DH finally agreed, BUT he would not pay for it. I had to borrow the $ from my mother over 10 yrs.

Once DH sees for himself that this band is working, he'll be glad you did it and then show you some more support.. testosterone=dumb.. we just have to accept that and BE OUR OWN BEST FRIENDS o.k.

We are all here with ya babe, so don't lose faith. It will happen;)

Llizster, thank you for your kind words. I have alot of time in my room this weekend in peace and quiet. I am kinda angry at him. I have been on diets before and lost but have put it back on. That is why to him, it is another diet. Anyway, I have alot to sort in my brain. Thanks for your beautiful support, thats what makes this such an awesome support group!!!! My fill appt. is 1:00, around there....What time is yours?

Hope to see you there!

peaches9,

Thanks for your most kind words. They were really very sweet and supportive.

I guess I have to wait for all my three fills to maybe boost me up. I guess part of me is angry at my husband - I am so mad at him, I cant even have dinner with him ( yeah, its that bad), but this will take time.Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. Are you going to the Sept. 16 luncheon?

I am, maybe we will see you there?

peaches9,

Thanks for your most kind words. They were really very sweet and supportive.

I guess I have to wait for all my three fills to maybe boost me up. I guess part of me is angry at my husband - I am so mad at him, I cant even have dinner with him ( yeah, its that bad), but this will take time.Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. Are you going to the Sept. 16 luncheon?

I am, maybe we will see you there?

Yes, I am planning on being there!!