Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

My surgery is scheduled for 11/11. I was invited to a work conference across country 12/3 for 3 days. I would really love to go since every time I've been invited, something else has always come up to prevent me from going and it may be my last chance this year (budgetary reasons). It's 3 weeks post-op from my surgery.

I'm going to talk to my surgeon about it, but just wondering what everyone else's travel precautions were?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

See what your surgeon says, I wouldnt do it because its too taxing on the body and you've already put it through a trauma. On top of that, if something happens to you, you are across the country from your doctor who knows you and your history. Last but not least, being away from home will tempt you to eat/drink things that will harm you. A month in I was still on liquid.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by living55

I had no issues flying internationally at 2.5 weeks post-op and my surgeon's only concern was to remind me to get up and walk around the plane a couple of times. I flew first class and had plenty of room to stretch out. I had a fantastic trip.

@@KaiserKid

Go for it!

I think you should be fine as long as by like the 20-25th you are meeting Protein goals and fluids. I would ask for skycap assistance in the airport because walking through the airport will make you tried at that point and you don't wan to risk missing your plane because you have to take a fatigue break!

Just make sure you have a plan for Protein shakes etc, check that there is a place near by you can buy them, or ship some to the hotel before you get there. Call the Hotel and ask them how you need to address it, to be sure. They will hold them for you at the front desk.

I had an 11+ hour trip home from my surgery just 4 days after having it and it was fine. I did take a pillow to hold over my stomach for take off and landing so that helped. The biggest issue I had was making sure I could find things I could eat/drink so try to plan that if you can so you're not stuck. Oh and I did the pre-boarding thing so i had time to get to my seat and the stewardess helped me put my bags away...if you tell them at the gate you have a medical reason to early board and need help they are more than happy to help you.

:) the pilot does all the work anyway!

I had an 11+ hour trip home from my surgery just 4 days after having it and it was fine. I did take a pillow to hold over my stomach for take off and landing so that helped. The biggest issue I had was making sure I could find things I could eat/drink so try to plan that if you can so you're not stuck. Oh and I did the pre-boarding thing so i had time to get to my seat and the stewardess helped me put my bags away...if you tell them at the gate you have a medical reason to early board and need help they are more than happy to help you.

:) the pilot does all the work anyway!

Do you think I'll still be restricted as to how much I can lift after 3 weeks? Supposedly I'll be good for soft/pureed foods on 11/22 (or at least that's when the scheduled appt for that is). I'm wondering what real solids I'd be able to eat (if any) by then.

We're going to San Diego and it's always been a dream of mine to have a "real" street taco. Alas, I don't think that's gonna happen :lol:

Do you think I'll still be restricted as to how much I can lift after 3 weeks? Supposedly I'll be good for soft/pureed foods on 11/22 (or at least that's when the scheduled appt for that is). I'm wondering what real solids I'd be able to eat (if any) by then.

We're going to San Diego and it's always been a dream of mine to have a "real" street taco. Alas, I don't think that's gonna happen :lol:

I was restricted from lifting anything over 10lbs for 4 weeks. Ask your dr though, they may be different for you. I didn't do so well on the soft/pureed foods so my dr moved me up to more solid things earlier...but here's the thing with that...you're going to be traveling so getting sick while traveling is way worse. Stick as close to your plan/diet as you can. bring Protein powder with you to mix with milk or Water (easy to find) or see if you can find a store near where you are staying that stocks them. Soups are your friend! Just dont push it too much while your traveling or try anything crazy food wise and you should be fine. :)

Yeah I get the real taco thing...I was in Mexico and didn't get a street taco at all! :( But thats ok...I can always go back later!

I took a very long international flight three weeks after surgery. I was fine. Listen to your doctor and make sure to get up and walk. My best advice is to get a wheelchair at the airport, even if you do not think that you will need one. You CANNOT carry heavy bags. Another helpful thing is to get a letter from your doctor for TSA, allowing you to take ready-made Protein Drinks on the flight. Have a wonderful trip!

Yeah, I leaned on Protein shakes, yogurt, and cheese pretty hard on that trip. I was cleared to try soft foods by then but mostly kept it safe and stuck with what I knew worked since I didn't want to get sick on my trip. The Blender Bottle and individual packets of Quest Protein Powder were clutch for me.

I was in in CDMX which is famous for street tacos as well. On one of my last nights there one of the vendors made me a plate with just the taco filling which I tasted. Apparently it's pretty common - Mexicans watch their carbs too!

You will be able to travel barring any complications. Make sure you work hard first getting your Water in, then Protein those first two weeks so you can progress to mushies. Actually you may want to just stay on shakes through your trip. Pack up dry Protein Shakes and buy Water at the airports and at your destination. You can pack many things to mix with water. Soups, crystal lite, ice tea. Stay hydrated. I've brought yogurt thru tsa and turkey and cheese rollups. I found cheese easy to eat at 3 weeks, not much else. eggs also.

I traveled week 4, 5, 6 and am still back to my hectic travel schedule.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

You can fly...people fly home from Mexico just a few days post-op ;-) Walk on the plane to keep clots from forming, remember to drink even more Water than your normal 64 oz, take Protein with you and have a great time! I flew a few days shy of 4 weeks post-op and didn't need any extra assistance...plan for it, but you may find you feel well enough to do it on your own.

Plane trips are no issue. You honestly won't even be hungry then so I doubt the street tacos will even appeal to you. Since you're coming to my neck of the woods, I can tell you even if you were to take a bite, it would likely come right back up. Sounds cool, but I would pass on the street tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App