Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So are they the sort of meats they refer to as "processed meat"?? I would like something different and easy to take to work with me when I am in a hurry but from what I taste of it, there seems to be way too much salt in that stuff. Do you guys eat it at all?? Just like that, no bread or anything else added..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Go with lean turkey lean roast beef. you can use cucumbers or lettuce or tomatoes bread . Small slice of cheese.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Use the veggies as bread substitute. If you are on Pintrest Google bariatric lunches and there is,alot of quick meals. Just tailor it for your stage

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Instead of using that type of meat, I use cooked cubed chicken breast and add a bit of mayo. Same works for canned tuna, crab, etc.

My favorite new 'fast food' is a boiled egg. I always have some already done in the fridge that I can grab and go. One ounce slices of cheese are a good fast food as well.

My local deli has low sodium roast beef and other low sodium cold cuts. The trick is getting them from the deli where they slice it for you rather than the pre-packaged stuff which is loaded with sodium and not as tasty.

I have been choosing low sodium deli meats for a few years now, and the quality is much better! Some experienced people here have recommeded rolling up cheese and a low fat condiment like mustard/low fat mayo with it.

If you have the time, it's always best to prepare your own Proteins as that way you can control the added sodium, sugar and fat, but sometimes that's not always practical. I try to view things on a "Good, Better, Best" scale.

For "cold cuts" I would view the Good, Better, Best scale as follows (my opinion):

Best: Buy fresh, organic (if possible) cuts of Protein. Turkey, chicken or lean beef and prepare them yourself. Pros: You control the added salt/sugar/fat. Cons: Expensive and takes time to prepare.

Better: Buy low-sodium choices of turkey breast, chicken breast or lean beef cuts.

Good: Prepackaged versions (low sodium if you can find it) of the meats mentioned above.

I would stay away from highly processed meats like salami, pepperoni, bologna, etc. Not only are they extremely high in sodium but they are often cured with nitrites/nitrates and super-high in fat as well.

When you low carb and do it for a long time you find you need more salt, so the sodium in them isn't an issue for me.

I think cold cuts are good early on, I like boars head.

The only thing is long term, they won't trigger restriction because they are processed. I could probably eat a lot of deli ham, there is nothing to it. I don't even want to try but I know it won't trigger restriction at 1 year so I don't even bother.

Sorry @@OutsideMatchInside I usually agree with most of your posts, but not with this one. I eat low carb and find I need far less salt than I used to. In fact, I probably don't break 1000 mg per day on most days. I think it's wise to monitor sodium intake on any diet, low carb or not, and cold cuts have some of the highest sodium counts per calorie of anything. On average, for a single slice of lunch meat there is 362mg of sodium which is 15% of the RDA.

The RDA is 2,300 mg which is already high according to the America Heart Association, which recommends a daily intake of only 1,500 mg. The average actual intake for Americans is 3,400 mg which is over double what the AHA recommends, so sodium is a far bigger problem than we think considering its a major contributing factor to a host of health issues,

Being so new out of surgery, it's easy to say don't worry about right now because you won't be able to eat much, but I think it's much bigger than that. It's no different with sugars or sweets. You need to re-train your taste and you can't do that if you're consuming large amounts of salt or sugar because you'll just be training yourself to want and crave those foods. Instead use this time to find some alternatives like salt-free seasoning and spices that can take the place of added salt. Also, coarse ground Kosher or sea salt is a good option when you want to add some salt, as the crystals are larger and you can add less without compromising taste.

Choose a Multivitamin with iodine in it and you'll never have a "need" for iodized table salt again. You certainly don't have to cut it out completely, as sodium is an essential nutrient, but you should be aware of how much you're consuming on a daily basis and try to keep it under control....best of luck!

I eat deli meat, thin and trim turkey usually, wrap it cheese, then cut it in half. I'm still on small portions. It's easy to take places I need to bring food to. I just get it cut at the deli, not prepackaged. Depending on the way I feel, I'll wrap it in lettace....or add a pickle. My weakness.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

@@smg

I'm not going to argue about it, but being in Ketosis has a diuretic effect so people need more sodium and potassium. Research it.

If people are really on a low carb diet, which admittedly most people that post here are not, they need to watch their salt intake and make sure it is high enough.

If I am preparing food for myself at home, and not eating prepare and packaged foods, I have to be very careful to get enough sodium in.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I am going to visit the meatshop across the street from where I live to see if they have anything that is not processed, as suggested. I bet I would get more options and fresh meat that way.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, cold cuts are processed meats, especially stuff like bacon, sausage, bologna, hot dogs, salami... these are considered unhealthy for all people, not just post op bariatric surgery patients. I think that a few cold cuts, like turkey breast, are much less manipulated and have fewer nitrites and salts....

On whole grain bread, you can alternatively use tuna salad, reduced fat cheese, or Peanut Butter as healthier alternatives.

Edited by Barry W

I buy Dietz and Watson (Its in Winn Dixie here) Low sodium Lite Turkey. It's got less calories and sodium than the pre-packaged meats and is not as dry as Boars head.

@@OutsideMatchInside

I don't see the need to look it up as I just simply don't agree with your analysis. I'm of the opinion (again, based on my own research and advice from nutritionists and surgeons alike) that sodium, while an essential mineral, is far best left at lower levels and quite honestly has an RDA that is far too high as it is.

I do understand that in the immediate time frame post-op it's difficult to put down sufficient calories, HOWEVER, being that most of us rely on Soups and broths post-op, chances are even though we're eating a smaller amount of food, most are probably still getting, if not surpassing, the RDA of sodium which, again, is already set about 1000+ mgs too high.

What my point was is that the time immediately post-op and the transition period into solid foods is best used as a time to "train" your tastes to lighter, healthier, and yes, less salty foods. I would argue the same against artificial sweeteners as well...including stevia which is natural. Not because they are necessarily "bad for you" but because once you start with "salty" or "sweet" foods you will crave more of the same, and upon continuous consumption of high sodium/high sugar foods, you're looking at the real possibility of more health problems that go along with that.

Sodium is also a dehydrator, which can be really bad if you are already having issues getting in enough liquid during the day.

Please note that I am not suggesting you eliminate sodium from your diet, just to be aware of the amount you take in on a daily basis. Processed foods are a nightmare for people trying to stay lower in sodium, which was my main point in the previous post.