Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are There No Bandsters in Idaho?

Hi Idahoans,

Let's start posting a little. I am sure there are many bandsters around. Let's chat, and compare notes on pre-op, the surgery, post-op, and life after banding. I am a newbie....banded on Aug. 30. I am in the liquid stage right now, and am continuously trying to find things (low cal./low carb./low fat) that will go through a straw. So far, it's mostly Protein Shakes, liquified Soups, broth, SF popsicles, and black Decaf coffee. I've had no complications, except the normal gas pains in the side/stomach and left shoulder. I've been walking at least 7000 steps a day, and have lost 32 lbs. since Aug. 1. I am trying my best to be "very religious" about this program, and eventually want to lose 120-140 lbs.

Hope to hear from other Idahoans.:clap2:

I am here in Boise Id. I am nearly 3 weeks post op and doing great. went back to work after 12 days. having no problems at this time. the dietitian at the hospital told me that if I felt up to pureed food after 2 weeks go ahead that it is not an exact science if I did not feel up to it until after 3 weeks so be it. so I started eating some pureed food 2weeks and 2 days and then go in for my husbands pre-op visit and the doc stresses to him about following the 3 week liquid diet. so now when i see him for my post op visit I will tell him about the dietitian and what he said because now I am scared I will have messed things up. we will see.

have a great day

Hi qweniper,

I am right behind you. Just a week and a day for me, and I went to the Doc today. Next Doc appt. is Oct. 15. All is going well except for a little pain around the port. He is happy with my weight loss.... 32 lbs. in just over a month, six since surgery. I haven't really "zeroed in" on a goal, just a range. I'll see how I look and feel when I get closer to that range. Then maybe I'll set a specific goal. When does your Hubby go in for his surgery? Is he looking forward to it? The Doc told me that the only reason for the 3 weeks of liquids is so that the scar tissue can start forming around the band. If you eat too much, or the wrong thing, and end up vomiting, you may cause it to slip. I think you'll be fine as long as you haven't had any episodes. I am being good, and my wife is finding some good ways to make liquids out of solids by thinning them with low sodium V-8 juice, and liquifying them in the blender. The Doc says, as long as it will go through a straw we're OK. I only do about 4 oz. at a time though. Still doing the Protein Shakes thinned with no fat milk, vanilla silk soy milk, or flavored water. They're actually pretty good with all the different ones. Also doing the 8-plus glasses of water/day. Keep us posted on your progress.....and your husband's too.

well yesterday my husband had his surgery and he had a rough time afterwards. they did not put his c-pap mask on like they were supposed to (the reason you are tested for apnea is for recovery reasons not for when you go to your room, Tim has had a mask for 14+years and stops breathing often especially when on his back) and they had to tell him to breath many times. he could not keep his oxygen stats up so he was on O2 when he got to the room and of course kept falling asleep and dropping stats as he would stop breathing. he also had a hard time with pain control and nausea. about 5pm they brought in the c-pap machine and he asked to wear his mask so that he could rest. that helped we were finally able to get him up and moving by 7pm and then released at 1am. could have been before that but nurse insisted on a midnight blood sugar. he has been in pain today and worried that things are not right but I am here to help him through it and let him know that all is fine. there is just a lot of pain involved.

now for me the dietitian got after me saying that I was wrong that not everything that goes through a straw (surgeons words) is a liquid. my appointment was the same day as my husbands and I let the surgeon know what the tech (know know that he is not a dietitian but a tech this came from the dietitian) told me and dr cahn emailed the dietitian a 'sharp email' his words to me today. because of this she scrutinized everything and basically said i have been doing everything wrong. went to the surgeon today and since surgery I have lost 11pounds making it 31 since the end of July. he feels that I am doing great and should be fine. I go in on the 4th of oct for my first fill and husbands first post op. I feel better today but still upset about the dietitian.

how are you getting along with the liquids still. have you felt hunger yet?

Gwen,

Sorry to hear your husband is having a difficult time. As you know, it will get better. Did he have it done at St. Al's? I took my own mask (as they told me) and got hooked up right away. What kind of pressure does your husband run on CPAP? I use BIPAP, and run 16 in, and 12 out. Also, who is your dietician? Is he/she at St. Al's? I am using Jolyn Seibert. So far she has been great. I go see her later this month. I think the St. Al's dietician is trying to horn in, as she made an appointment for me, without me knowing about it. Don't know if I'll go see what she has to say though, or not.

As far as the liquids go, my wife is becoming a master at making a variety of different, good tasting liquids. Right now I am having my morning Protein Shake. She made it with vanilla and plain whey powder, vanilla silk soy milk, and raspberry ice crystal light. It's got a ton of Protein (69), and also lots of potassium (620). Is your doc OK with "anything that will go through a straw?" Those were my doc's words. I haven't gotten a reading from the dietician on this yet, but I think I will go by what the doc says. He told me, the only reason for the three weeks of liquids is for healing. He doesn't want anything getting stuck or vomitting, because it may displace the bad. He wants the scar tissue to start forming before you get to "true" solid foods. That's why the next step is mushies for three weeks, then "soft" foods for three weeks, and finally solid food.< /p>

I have found that lots of exercise has been the biggest help for me. I am averaging 8200 steps a day, with daily morning walks between 4500-5500 steps.

You are doing real well, IMO, on your weight loss. 31 lbs. in such a short time is super. Keep up the good work. What did the doc. and dietician say about that? Obviously, you're doing something right.

The only problems I am having are taking my prescriptions and low blood pressure/low blood glucose levels. I grind up the pills and mix them with juice or crystal light. They still taste terrible, but fortunately only another week to go on this. Monday I went to my normal doc because my blood pressure and blood glucose were both going low. He reduced my meds. and said I could self adjust the amounts based on readings I get. He said just wait for trends to be validated, and not go up and down daily as the readings change. I track my BP, O2 Sat., and BG almost daily. This morning right after the walk my BP was 87/54. I felt a little light headed. If it stays like this for several days, I'll halve the BP med. again. BG has only gone low a couple times. I've already halved that med. (Actos) and the doc is having me halve my Byetta dose also. He said the ultimate goal is to get me off (or low doses) of all these meds. Boy, would that be great.

Keep us posted on how you and your husband are doing. I hope he is starting to feel better.

Yeah he had it at st als found out that this is not the first time they haven[t put the mask on our friend had it the same day as me and did not get hers. he is on 16 pressure it sure would have helped. Liz Warhurst at Als is our dietitian. she is at st als. they staff automatically think that you are going through her and set up the appointment just call and cancel telling them you are going through another approved dietitian. Dr. cahn feels I am doing great with the weight loss Liz said it was good. and dr cahn did say 'anything that would go through a straw with out the straw' as it will cause extra gas and pain.

Tim is doing better today. dr Cahn told me that the last week before I see him next to start eating solid soft foods. his diet is 3 weeks clear and full liquids then 3 weeks pureed during those toward the last week move to soft solid foods. then phase 3 is to add more solid foods one item at a time.

exercise has helped me too. I don't know the number of steps but i can now walk about 18 blocks in one hour. wish that I could do it everyday. been having hard time this week with Tim wanting me at home with him. so i walk what I can and get on the band wagon again this weekend when he can go further.

it is great to hear that you are doing great and sounds as if we all are headed in the right direction.

Gwen, how are you and your husband doing now? Hope he is feeling better now. Who did you say your dietician is? I saw Liz Warhurst the other day at St. Al's. She's happy with wt. loss, exercise and diet. We are finding that everyone's story is different. The first dietician I saw does things very different from her and the doctor. Who do you believe? I think I am going with the doctor, as he is the one that knows the most about the "do's and don'ts" of the surgery. I start mushies tomorrow. YEA!! I am pretty tired of the liquid thing, although I'll probably keep having a Protein Shake a day to augment the Protein intake.

HI Lapbandade, we are both doing good. Tim lost 10 lbs the first week and few days so he is down 51 lbs. I have lost 15 in 4 weeks and a few days and that brings me to 35lbs so far. Yeah it is Liz that we see and we are going to follow Cahn's instructions. because there are alot of differences that each person tells you.

HOw are you doing?

Hello Idahoans,

I've just moved to Spokane WA and I was referred to Dr Pennings by my surgeon from Portland. Anyone here know anything about him?

Thanks!

Hello Idahoans,

I've just moved to Spokane WA and I was referred to Dr Pennings by my surgeon from Portland. Anyone here know anything about him?

Thanks!

Hi I went to Dr. Pennings seminar on the lapband. Very informative...my friend is going in for her appt with him to make the next move toward her lap band surgery. I have chosen Mexico for my surgery. I will keep you updated on her and her experiences if you like. The cost is what sent me to Mexico. Hope he works out for you. Will keep you posted.

I'm going to dr cahn. Any comments about him? He seems very competent and caring. Wants the best results for each patient. Seems very careful, too. Wanted to talk to my shrink before he would really discuss it with me. Hopefully all goes well.