Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping someone can tell me about chia seeds

I love them in my morning shakes

They thicken the shake when made the night before so I only use a tablespoon

They have good nutrition for the volume

I have also sprinkled them on Greek yogurt for a little crunch

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You can grow really cool Chia pets out of them.

:D

My 18-year-old swears by them. She says they help her poop more regularly.

I need to get a clay head lol

Cha cha cha chia...tge pottery thar grows.

Fast forward 20 years and I'm thinking about eating them lol life is weird.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

You can grow really cool Chia pets out of them.

:D

My 18-year-old swears by them. She says they help her poop more regularly.

I need to get a clay head lol

Cha cha cha chia...tge pottery thar grows.

Fast forward 20 years and I'm thinking about eating them lol life is weird.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Every time my kid eats them in front of me, I sing the song. I can't help myself. She sprinkles them on everything from yogurt to ice cream to her smoothie'. Word of warning, though. Check your teeth after your meal. She often has them lodged in her tooth gaps after she eats. It's gross. :D

These were recommended by the people who do my blood work. I include them in Breakfast and in my yogurt. Best to soak them first...https://draxe.com/chia-seeds-benefits-side-effects/. Can't say they have changed my life, but the evidence suggest there are positives.

I like chia seeds, although I really only eat them in cold oatmeal. The night before, I mix Greek yogurt, raw oats (the kind in the Quaker cardboard cylinder- nothing fancy), almond milk, pineapple bits with the juice from a can (canned fruit seems to work best for me, but any fruit is supposedly good), sometimes a little honey, but you don't really need it, and chia seeds. The chia seeds thicken it a little bit and gives it a texture I like. Then I let it sit in a mason jar overnight (I used the littlest jars- 4oz), and then in the morning I eat the cold oatmeal. It's yummy. If when you're further out and in maintenance phase you want a treat, the Pioneer Woman sprinkles a little sugar on the top and then uses a brulee torch to make it cold oatmeal brulee. It's not great for a diet, and I haven't done that yet, but when she made it last week on her show I thought...hmmm, that's a nice treat I should try sometime.

do they have any taste??

lots of Protein?

yogurt would taste the same with chia seeds?

no added bad taste?

yearsssss ago when i was a young teen-ager

my father bought mom one of those chia pets

what a romantic gift

almost as good as a vacuum cleaner!! :lol:

kathy

As with any seeds (flax, chia, sesame etc.) it is best to grind them first. I use a $10 coffee grinder that is only for seeds. The outer shells are pretty tough, and most of the nutritive value is wasted, if not ground. A little soak doesn't hurt either. Make your smoothie and 10-15 mins later the seeds have soaked and also slightly thickened your drink. About 1 Tbsp. a day is a good place to start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwUTPYm0Rn8

Here is a young woman that posts entertaining vsg videos. This is her chia bowl which is pretty good though I do not add the coconut sugar and eat less than she does -- but she is way post goal.

I love chia seeds. I can't quite describe the taste...maybe a mild nutty taste? Not sure. I imagine that I will have to wait to eat them again for some time after surgery (VSG for me) as they are very tiny and will absorb liquid. I don't even want to imagine getting those stuck in a healing stomach. I hope to add them to shakes when I start my liquid diet in December.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Just be very careful if you eat them without soaking them. They are like sponges and might dehydrate you if you are already low on your Water intake. A small amount takes up a lot of your precious liquids.

Nilla

Not sure how the chia soaking any liquids in ones body would affect anything since they are heading to digestion anyway. Plus we have 30/30 rule. I think they taste better after soaking up yogurt but also fine in smoothies. For me, was permitted at 8 weeks post op

Not sure how the chia soaking any liquids in ones body would affect anything since they are heading to digestion anyway. Plus we have 30/30 rule. I think they taste better after soaking up yogurt but also fine in smoothies. For me, was permitted at 8 weeks post op

Good to know...I guess after 8 weeks, you'll be mostly healed. I'd rather be safe and wait, than get those things stuck in my healing sleeve. That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Good to know...I guess after 8 weeks, you'll be mostly healed. I'd rather be safe and wait, than get those things stuck in my healing sleeve. That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

What's the 30/30 rule?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app