Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Huge Fill Bill

I just had my first fill last week and my doctor does not do them, rather, he sends me to the local hospital that he works with to have it done. Well, they took xrays before, during and after the fill and at first put too much in then had to remove some so they had to do the equivalent of an upper GI twice. Well, I just got the bill for this and it was almost $1000!!! Granted, this is before my insurance pays their part but I think this is ridiculous and my doctor never said anything about not doing the fills in his office. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. And then to kick it off, I don't even feel a restriction, same as before the fill. The hospital doctor said that he first put 1 3/4 cc in but in the upper gi, it was taking too long for the barium to go through so then he took 1/2 cc out. How can he even tell for sure? And when he was taking out the needle the second time, saline squirted everywhere so I am afraid that I lost some of my restriction at that point.

I am becoming more and more disappointed with this process. Not sure if it's the band, my doctor or my overall expectations. I'm trying to do my best with just cutting down on the food and exercising when I can but if I had been able to do it alone, I wouldn't have paid the cost of the surgery. Does anyone else seem to have this problem?

Hi Melissa,

My fills have never been done in the hospital... always in my Doc's office. I think if the fills are approached slowly there is little reason to do them under flouro. Private pay cost for a fill with my surgeon runs 200.00. The bariatric surgeons here where I live charge 75.00 per fill and they also include 1 years worth of fills with the surgery. I don't think there should have been 2 charges in regards to the radiology. How experienced is your surgeon in regards to placing and caring for the Lap Band?

Don't fret yet about not feeling the restriction... it is not unsual for the fill to "kick in" a few weeks down the road. All in all... I still think that banding is the best option for bariatric surgery... once you have restriction you will have the help you need for controlling food intake.

Don't be afraid to express your concerns to your surgeon... and perhaps even ask why they feel it is necessary to do the fills in the hospital with radiology assist.

Darcy

Hi Melissa,

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. :D It's not uncommon at all for the hospitals to 'overcharge' the insurance company for fills due to managed care contracts and how much they actually get paid in the end. However, you're right to be disappointed in your Dr's office not at least giving you some warning as to the fact that he doesn't do fills or how much the expense might be. Shame on them...

Is your Dr new in the banding business?

Normally, flouro used for fills is a very pleasant experience and normally you get pretty good restriction due to the ability of actually being able to 'see' what they're doing. I believe mine billed about $750 for the use of the hospital flouro equipment and the 'procedure'. Then, they only get paid a fraction of that due to contracts. However, it does sound as if you got someone rather inexperienced to do it. Hopefully, this will get better for you. I have much preferred my radiologist/flouro fills to the Dr doing them in his office.

Thanks all. I had and still have alot of confidence in my surgeon. He is actually one of the first to do the band in the Chicago area and he has a ton of patients. I should take some blame for not attending the support sessions before I had the surgery as my schedule doesn't coordinate but I do think that that could have been mentioned in the paperwork that was given to me pre-surgery. I'd have to say that the overall experience was not bad but I would feel much more confident if it was my own surgeon doing them as I could address all the questions directly to him at the time and I am certainly confident in his abilities. I think it's true that the doctor that did the fill was not nearly as experienced as my surgeon. Oh well. My surgeon said that if I don't lose 4# every two weeks that I needed to come in either to discuss my eating habits and/or to have another fill. I guess I shouldn't complain too much as long as I keep losing and the insurance keeps paying!!!

Melissa-

It sounds to me like you figured out two very important success factors:

patience and a positive attitude. These are two very critical pieces that are left out of all the literature we get from our surgeons. Without these two things, the whole banding process could be a lot harder than it has to be.

Good for you for taking a step back and looking at the positives!

Megan

Mellissa,

Have you checked around in your area about other fill doctors? Perhaps there are some that are more experienced and a bit cheaper... I had my surgery in Mexico but found a fill doctor just two hours away. I had to have flouro used and the total cost for the fill and flouro was $250. My doctor doesn't think I'll need the flouro everytime so the fills will only be $150. If you were unhappy with the hospital fill I would check around for someone more used to doing fills. Best of luck, Teresa

Guest Should Ann Band

Hi because of you (mellisa)i am really thinking of doing it...i live in forest park and i called your dr.fred..very nervous and looking for a lil support so here i go HELP!!!!!!!!...LOL i've been trying to find out how painful it really is which is my only fear...for the ladies i had a hys about 3 years ago if its even close to that im gonna back out......so plz tell me Should Ann Band:)

Melissa, I totally second and applaud Megan's comments. I too have to go to a hospital for fills under fluoro and the first time had me rolling my eyes in frustration. It's just such a big DEAL at a hospital, for a 10-second procedure! But now I'm glad they do it that way because I know each time I'm getting a mini-diagnostic on the band's position and so forth.

There are probably many adjustments in your future and they will get easier both for you and the staff. Patience and a positive attitude will rule the day! :)

Ann, I've heard that the pain associated with banding is NOTHING compared to that of either a hysterectomy or even a gall-bladder operation. Nothing internally is cut, all that needs to heal are essentially some internal stitches and just a few incisions on your stomach. There's usually some achiness/bloating afterward due to the gas used in surgery, but lots of people don't find it painful (though of course, some do). We all heal differently, but if you had a previous abdominal surgery you'll have some idea of how you react to anaesthesia at least.

They might bill your insurance $1000.00, but insurance will only pay a small portion, and they'll write off the balance. I never did understand this practice where the insurance only pays what they feel like paying. Nor do I understand why they bill us one fee, but they triple the bill to the insurance company.

Megan, great reply! You are so smart! Thanks for the reminder. I needed that!

Melissa, I think the saline squirting everywhere was more likely coming from leftover saline in the syringe that wasn't going into the band anyway. SURELY that wouldn't effect your restrction? Anyhow, hope that fill kicks in and you get the restriction you need.

BTW, Ann, if you can get through a hysterectomy, I'd say the band recovery will be a breeze. I have had 2 C-sections, and I don't know how those compare to a hysterectomy, but the Band recovery was SOOO much easier! I was walking around the day of surgery, although very slowly, and the next day I was be-bopping through the airport in a leftover anestesia fog. Rode the plane for 5 hours. I was sore, but it was very bearable. Recovery from banding was much quicker then the C-sects, as you could imagine! Anyway, like Alex said, if you know how you will react to the anesthesia, you are ahead of the game.

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

SNORT! Good one!

When Dr. Martinez (Dr Ortiz' partner) does my fills he dilutes the barium to a very watery consistency. Did your fill at the hospital use it straight? If so he may have pulled too much saline back out, just from inexperience. If not then your fill will kick in. In the meantime when you get really hungry have a warm cup of "Imagine" brand Soup in the carton. You get your veggies and a tasty treat too. It comes in many flavors and really takes the edge off. It's low fat, low cal but doesn't taste low. Then search for new fill doctor in your area.

Good luck,

Susie

Melissa-

I'm in Chicago area too- Who did your band? Was it MIBC? Just curious.

...very nervous and looking for a lil support so here i go HELP!!!!!!!!...LOL i've been trying to find out how painful it really is which is my only fear...for the ladies i had a hys about 3 years ago if its even close to that im gonna back out......so plz tell me Should Ann Band:)

Having a band placed is nowhere near as painful--nor does the pain last as long--as having a knee or hip or ankle go out from obesity. It's all relative.