Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week off from work?

I am a nurse consultant and I am planning to have 3 weeks off work. My surgeon said that if my job was sedentary I could go back after 1 week but it would be hard as my body would be struggling to get enough Fluid in to prevent dehydration. Most people take off 2 weeks. I'm having the extra week to allow my wounds to heal as I don't wish to put myself at risk of picking up an infection in my wounds.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I only took off 6 days, but I work from home and have a desk job. I'm fine.

I was fortunate and had short term disability. Planned to go back after two weeks but ended up with 3 due to fatigue and nausea. I have a desk job and work at home but still needed the 3 weeks.

Four Shar Peis :) my client was out of state on vacation

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I have two pit bull mixes myself, they didn't get walked for like two weeks :( just play and run in the backyard

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I have 3 pit bulls. Unfortunately my backyard isn't closed off. So that's not an option I told my son he has to walk them but I was wondering for how long.

I'm an IT manager for a medium-sized company and I PROBABLY could have gone back in after a week, but I'm lucky in that I have a lot of sick days saved up. I don't HAVE to go back in until Wednesday, but I'm spending my days walking around the neighborhood and I'm f---ing bored! I'll probably go in tomorrow just to get back to normal a little quicker.

I may end up feeling like you do, but, to be honest, I would love to actually feel some boredom for a change. We'll see how it goes...

Hi,

I am an office manager and only took off a week. It worked out well for me. Although the medical community disagrees, they are not paying my rent. So if you can afford it take it off, otherwise plan ahead to make sure you have your Vitamins, liquids, post op diet ready and you will not want to lift anything heavy. One thing that is true is the anesthesia does stay in your body, brain for awhile so pay attention to detailed work and big decision making, Good luck!

I took off a week and worked from home a week. I was really tired and would not have wanted to be out, dressed up and at work with fixed schedule during that time. I think more than that amount of time, as I did feel better and was up to being there (commuting, work, etc), would have been a challenge to me and might have made it harder to have other time off work for vacation or follow-up appointments. If someone has the luxury of being off longer, that could be great. Professionally, it would not have been helpful to me; and honestly I was completely fine to go after 2 weeks away as I had no real complications or unexpected results.

I think if I had been more active during the first few weeks, I would have lost more. If I knew this back then, I would have come back to work earlier. I chose to stay home longer since i work in a dementia unit where fists and chairs are flying in the air most of the time. I don't think teaching would be too difficult a week after.

I had it done when I was 51. I teach and consult. I was back at the computer the next day. I was at the mall two days later. And four days after surgery and flying home from Mexico, I went to an OU football game. HOWEVER, I worked out going into the surgery, stayed on the pre-op diet, weaned myself off coffee and soda weeks before the event. So, it depends on what you put into your pre-op effort and where you are physically. There is no one size fits all. I didn't have any major health problems before surgery, and that helped.

I took 5 working days off, with the weekend it was a week. My first day back was a little rough, but by the end of the week I was feeling fairly normal. I did photograph an event 10 days post op...looking back, maybe not the best decision, but I made it through.

Like others have said, everyone's journey is so different. I worked out pre-surgery, so I think that helped with my recovery time, plus I had no complications.